Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: If you could only have one bike..... [rmt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rmt wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:
I think the Giant TCR (or canyon, but there are some things I don’t like about canyon, especially weirdly sized stems) is the best value.

I like the fact that the key thing that you don't like about Canyon, is also the case for Giant!!!!!

Giants gone to weird stems too??? Argh!!!

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: If you could only have one bike..... [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In fairness, I'm not sure about now, but I know a year or two back they were both on the same non-standard size. V-frustrating!
Quote Reply
Re: If you could only have one bike..... [Jonnywev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If I could only have one bike, I wouldn't race triathlons. (At least, not seriously.) That's because the bike I'd keep is my custom commuter bike, a Litespeed Gravel frameset with flat bars, a Shimano Metrea 1Ă—11 groupset, rack, and fenders. As much as I enjoy racing and centuries, for me the greatest pleasure is just going for a ride: a predawn commute, multi-use trails with my wife and/or daughter, running errands, etc. Looking back at my "training data" over the past few years, I've logged a whole lot more miles from trips less than 20 miles (my commute distance) than over 20 miles. So that's the bike that that would maximize my riding time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You mentioned it above but the first step should be to get a fit with a reputable fitter. Even if it means you have to get a lower spec on the bike.

A good fitter will be able to recommend a bike that can accommodate both a road and semi-aggressive tri position. This would be done by getting the right clip-ons (typically low stack ones), changing saddle position (most convenient if you purchase an additional seat post and saddle so it's just a straight swap out) and potentially changing the stem.

But please get that fit first - my wife makes her living as a bike fitter and it breaks her heart when she has to deliver the news that the client's new bike isn't going to accommodate their position.
Quote Reply
Re: If you could only have one bike..... [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
rmt wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:
I think the Giant TCR (or canyon, but there are some things I don’t like about canyon, especially weirdly sized stems) is the best value.

I like the fact that the key thing that you don't like about Canyon, is also the case for Giant!!!!!

Giants gone to weird stems too??? Argh!!!

Yes, Giant do use 1 1/4" steered tube diameter on many of their bikes. Significantly limits the range of stem lengths and angles available for retrofitting.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd suggest you omit the fact you might ride it in a triathlon from your considerations. It's not that important. Just get a good road bike that you like, that fits you, that's within budget, and if it's decently low drag that's a bonus but not essential.
My thinking would be that in the long term you'll probably either buy a triathlon specific bike or not be too serious about triathlon. Whereas, if you like cycling, the road bike is likely to get a lot of use regardless of your triathlon career. Any road bike will be fine for triathlon but none of them will give you a good triathlon position so it shouldn't even be a factor when choosing a road bike.
Canyon are generally great value and I've been very happy with my Ultimate for the last 6 years. The geometry of the Aeroad is (or certainly was) a little longer and lower. I'd certainly consider it if I was replacing my bike, it's a very nice bike, but whether it stayed on the list would depend on whether it would sensibly accommodate my position. the same goes for all the bikes on your list. They're all good bikes but they'll have slightly differing geometries. They might all be good options, they might not.
I'd decide with the following questions, with fit creating the shortlist and the other 3 whittling it down:
  • Which ones fit me well?
  • Do I have any major preferences for appearance/colours?
  • Which are best value for money, and sensibly equipped so I won't want to swap a bunch of parts or buy new wheels etc in the very near future?
  • Availability?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Venge.

It fits 32mm tires. Aero AF. Rides great. Should be good deals on it now that the new flavor of the year is out. And for all the talk about it being too stiff or whatever - slap on 28-30mm WAM tires on it and it is comfy enough.

--
Those who are slower than me suck.
Those who are faster than me dope
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would pick an aero road bike with a reversible seat post that allows to use it as a part-time tt bike, if fitted with clip-ons. to name a few: ceepo mamba, kestrel talon, bianchi aria
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My new Speed Concept that I just ordered. I have an Emonda road bike, but I still like my Speed Concepts better. This will be my 4th one. I had two of the 1st gen SC’s and this will be my second 2nd Gen Speed Concept. My 2014 bike was black and I am just over black. I ordered and white and blue this go around.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would buy a road bike that takes 35's. The Caledonia is a good choice. Trek Domane another.

An aero road bike works, but I wouldn't buy one that limits you to 30's. My default road tire size is 32 now.
Quote Reply

Prev Next