Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Apple Watch vs. Garmin [trener1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trener1 wrote:
mickison wrote:
Why do you believe garmin paid off the attackers?

There is an article up on Cyclingnews that insinuates that Garmin paid, though it seems based on speculation more then fact
My dayjob is cyber security.

Almost everyone pays. Actually they don't. They hire a cybersecurity firm who pays by proxy so the client can claim they didn't pay off the hackers. The client might carry cybersecurity insurance and that in turns pays back the fee paid to the cybersecurity firm. Absurd, but that's how it typically goes down.

The highly publicized Garmin hack would have a low chance of affecting their user base. Compromised watch firmware would not be of much use without an LTE connection on the watch. Maybe they could have altered the garmin mobile apps? Maybe. But that wasn't the goal. Goal was just holding Garmin's business data for ransom. Not escalating the hack further.

The hacks that are of most concern are stealthy ones. Highly targeted. Hackers infiltrate networks without anyone getting the wiser and remaining on those networks for literally years. The attacks which blow up everything and cause business stoppage those are amateurs or simple ransomware thieves. Ransomware attacks are indiscriminate spray and pray against any vulnerable target they can find.
Quote Reply
Re: Apple Watch vs. Garmin [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My understanding is that the customer effect of the hack was an interruption of service.
Quote:
website functions, customer support, and user applications were all affected

Maybe others here will know what that actually meant in practice at that time. But sounds like secondary functions to me rather than personal device functionality.

The Apple thing mentioned was a disclosure of info to someone pretending to be an Apple employee that compromised the accounts.

I don't think anyone should take either, very different, thing into account when making a purchase decision.

Quote Reply
Re: Apple Watch vs. Garmin [AlexB78] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AlexB78 wrote:
I have been using apple watch with swim.com app for last year. I found swim.com very accurate recording my pace laps etc.
than i got garmin 945 as i needed longer battery life. However, i am disappointed with 945 pool seim accuracy. Always wrong distance, swim pace 7-8s more than apple watch. Iam disappointed. .

Are you swimming in a pool or OW? I find it hard to believe that the Garmin is off. I have the 935 and it is always accurate (pool swims). I haven't done OW with it yet.

How do you know that the Apple is accurate? Have you swam using both watches at the same time?
Quote Reply

Prev Next