Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Carbon plate running shoes for 'foot protection' in trail running
Quote | Reply
Has anyone used one of the newer carbon plate running shoes for trail running? Just thinking that if the carbon spread the load of 'pointy things' that you step on during a trail run, then it might allow the use of a lighter running shoe...kind of a trauma plate for the ball of the foot. Anyone try any of the new shoes for trail running and have any feedback? Thanks.
Stephen J

I believe my local reality has been violated.
Quote | Reply
I did a crazy experiment with Next % on a trail. Yes, the carbon plate protects your foot. HOWEVER, wrong shoe for trails :-)! I was slip sliding all over the place (but no sharp pointy things got me). Perhaps trail shoes will evolve to a hybrid version at some point. When these shoes get to the end of their useful like I may try putting some screws in the bottom for traction, and shaving the heel off a bit. We'll see.

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Re: Carbon plate running shoes for 'foot protection' in trail running [stephenj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My salomons have a "profeel film" rock plate in them which kinda looks to be a carbon material. Id be leary of the stack height on those road shoes for trail use.
Quote Reply
Re: Carbon plate running shoes for 'foot protection' in trail running [stephenj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There are a ton of trail shoes with rock plates.
The carbon plated shoes are mostly racing flats/performance training shoes and these will not give you the security you're probably looking for on a trail

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had the same thought. The rock plates in trail shoes that I've run in typically don't hold up for very rocky terrain. I road run in those hoka carbon x's and I've often thought that would be a nice platform if they had appropriate tread.
Quote Reply