Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

500 squat, 5:00 mile, 50 xxx revisited again
Quote | Reply
instead of 50 kipups... 50k ultra run attempt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXVz6_kn9RQ
Quote Reply
Re: 500 squat, 5:00 mile, 50 xxx revisited again [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pretty good squat and sub 5 run - that forearm IM tat is terrible though - ugh

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply
Re: 500 squat, 5:00 mile, 50 xxx revisited again [plant_based] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
whats amazing i know people who ran 1:17 half mary but best mile 5:08. Also it looks like his bike guide was pretty unreliable for the 50k attempt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is just me guessing, feel free to respond if this is wrong:

I have no idea about running, but for a bike.......isn't 5:00 still really heavily anaerobic versus aerobic?

To me it would be zero surprise for me to see things like people who can run a 5:00 mile not be able to run a 1/2 or full marathon at a stunning time if they're not an endurance athlete as their main "thing". And even less surprised that someone who can squat 500lb could run a 5:00 mile. Or a crossfitter running a silly fast time while during Murphs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Impressive, congratulations to him. Just finished watching the video.

No beef at all with the tattoo. I don't have any personally, and may never get one, I'm not sure. I see plenty of people walking around with tattoos of the dumbest shit imaginable (horses riding space ships, pirates doing who knows what, etc.). An IM tattoo just tells me that someone considers that athletic feat to be important enough to them that they decided to get a lifelong token of that experience.
Quote Reply
Re: 500 squat, 5:00 mile, 50 xxx revisited again [soslow1387] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Found another vid from him that he call himself hybrid athlete - loved that !
Quote Reply
Re: 500 squat, 5:00 mile, 50 xxx revisited again [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:

I have no idea about running, but for a bike.......isn't 5:00 still really heavily anaerobic versus aerobic?

To me it would be zero surprise for me to see things like people who can run a 5:00 mile not be able to run a 1/2 or full marathon at a stunning time if they're not an endurance athlete as their main "thing". And even less surprised that someone who can squat 500lb could run a 5:00 mile. Or a crossfitter running a silly fast time while during Murphs.

Not sure about cycling either but for running, this study suggests that a 1500-meter effort (~5 minutes in a well-trained person) is 77% aerobic in men.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/16194976/

There's a series of studies on this topic, the average results for the estimates of % energy coming from aerobic metabolism are below. They are all I think from well-trained track athletes during single max efforts, I would guess for slower folk doing these distances as repeated sub-max intervals the %s are a little higher.

400 meters: 41% men, 45% women
800 meters: 60% men, 70% women
1500 meters: 77% men, 86% women
3000 meters: 86% men, 94% women
5000 meters: 96% men, 97% women

My take on this is any interval that's appreciably longer than ~3:00 minutes is probably mostly aerobic.
Last edited by: rosshm: Jul 29, 20 10:59
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's legit.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: 500 squat, 5:00 mile, 50 xxx revisited again [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Its only legit if he went to doping control afterwards.

BoulderCyclingCoach.com
Quote Reply
Re: 500 squat, 5:00 mile, 50 xxx revisited again [rosshm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rosshm wrote:
burnthesheep wrote:

Not sure about cycling either but for running, this study suggests that a 1500-meter effort (~5 minutes in a well-trained person) is 77% aerobic in men.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/16194976/

There's a series of studies on this topic, the average results for the estimates of % energy coming from aerobic metabolism are below. They are all I think from well-trained track athletes during single max efforts, I would guess for slower folk doing these distances as repeated sub-max intervals the %s are a little higher.

400 meters: 41% men, 45% women
800 meters: 60% men, 70% women
1500 meters: 77% men, 86% women
3000 meters: 86% men, 94% women
5000 meters: 96% men, 97% women

My take on this is any interval that's appreciably longer than ~3:00 minutes is probably mostly aerobic.

Thanks! That's cool info.

Do you have an opinion on what the "break point" is for when the anaerobic contribution really starts to affect the outcome? 10%, 30%, 50%?

It's a different energy system isn't it? So I would assume that perhaps having almost 25% anaerobic in there could really affect it. I thought anaerobic was a kind of energy system in the body that really is more potent. I would think someone like this dude would have a lot stronger anaerobic system than myself on the run. So, his 25% extra from anaerobic might lift his pace more than my 25% extra.

In his one video he yaked at the end. I've only ever done a bike pursuit workout and have that happen. I'm afraid to injure myself running that hard versus riding.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

That had to have sucked. Just last night I hit 285 for two reps and deadlifts 5X265 with lots of reps getting up to those weights.

Then I ran a 3.6M at 38 minutes and walked back into the garage like the tin man.

A 500 lbs squat is just so far out of my wheelhouse that I cant even imagine.

If you like this sort of crazy check out this guy.

Quote Reply
Re: 500 squat, 5:00 mile, 50 xxx revisited again [ScoutMac187] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
we have a new contender.....

https://www.instagram.com/p/CG3HwhxA2GJ/
Quote Reply