Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Asked my teammate if he wanted to go for a trail run....(video)
Quote | Reply
I might have under-sold it.

I did this with my Boulder Racing teammate Brian Andzejewicz.

Here's the strava file. 16.26 miles, 8,000 feet of climbing.

https://www.strava.com/.../3817146410/overview

I like the music, and I say a few things, so I recommend sound on :)

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Last edited by: RowToTri: Jul 27, 20 16:42
Quote Reply
Re: Asked my teammate if he wanted to go for a trail run.... [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cool video, thanks for sharing! Wish I lived out there. Looks beautiful
Quote Reply
Re: Asked my teammate if he wanted to go for a trail run....(video) [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That was awesome!
Quote Reply
Re: Asked my teammate if he wanted to go for a trail run....(video) [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pretty hard core. Nice job that day and with the shoe.

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply
Re: Asked my teammate if he wanted to go for a trail run....(video) [plant_based] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It was a good day, that's for sure.

I was arrogant enough to think maybe there was a possibility we could go for the FKT on this - which is 5:09. The guy that did that cut the trail over the first and last 3.5 miles, which in a National Park I think is a big no-no, but anyway...

Brian is a fast runner, raced Kona last year where he ran a 3:25 and has the chops to be disappointed with that. I do not consider myself super-slow either, for an age grouper.

We did the first 3.5 miles on FKT pace, even though we went .5 miles farther than the record holder b/c we did not cut the trail. At 4 miles there is no more trail. Brian had to stop and head down to a privy at this point, which cost us 6 or 7 minutes. Ascending the loft we had to stop a bit and debate part of the route. Got to the top of Meeker about 23 minutes behind FKT - (2:15 vs 1:52). Then top of Longs 1:30 behind FKT. Then top of Pagoda 2:50 behind FKT - getting to Pagoda we were delayed by 50 minutes trying to figure out how to get down a cliff band - took us that long to believe that the route to do it was actually the real way and to decide we could do it without killing ourselves. After we got to the Keyhole, from where we would begin the last two peaks (the easiest ones by far), a storm was coming in, so we decided to just head down. We got rained on pretty good for at least an hour.

The whole thing took us 9:36 and we didn't even do the last two peaks. I think that if we went again, we could drop 2 hours off with our improved knowledge of the route, but we still have to add on 2 summits and even so, it would still be 2.5 hours behind the FKT. That guy must leap over boulders like a mountain goat.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looked like an awesome experience, well done!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
nearly 1500' gain in 1 mile damn. hopefully you do pikes peak marathon , i think its 2 weeks? if not, go for the ascent the day before :)
Quote Reply
Re: Asked my teammate if he wanted to go for a trail run....(video) [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A friend just suggested I do the "Head Hunt" which is a collection of peaks right next door to this - a bit more steep and technical, a little shorter in mileage. Arrowhead, McHenry's, Chief's Head and Spear Head all in one day. Sounds pretty hairy to me, but awesome. More fun than the Pike's Peak Marathon.

I also might go after the Grand Slam again. I'd like to get the whole thing under my belt.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RowToTri wrote:
A friend just suggested I do the "Head Hunt" which is a collection of peaks right next door to this - a bit more steep and technical, a little shorter in mileage. Arrowhead, McHenry's, Chief's Head and Spear Head all in one day. Sounds pretty hairy to me, but awesome. More fun than the Pike's Peak Marathon.

I also might go after the Grand Slam again. I'd like to get the whole thing under my belt.

you already did pikes peak marathon? result? (more interested in ascent time)
Quote Reply
Re: Asked my teammate if he wanted to go for a trail run....(video) [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No, I did not mean to imply I did the Pikes Peak Marathon. Just that more remote peak linkups with some more technical terrain sounds more fun to me.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very nicely done. Video and climb
Quote Reply
Re: Asked my teammate if he wanted to go for a trail run....(video) [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, Herbert! I think I'm gonna do some more of this kind of thing.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
People in general need to explore more and not just do the same thing over and over
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Real men run Long's from the Boulder Courthouse...

Nice run and video!
I agree that the FKT practice of trail cutting is a bit suspect at times.

I talk a lot - Give it a listen: http://www.fasttalklabs.com/category/fast-talk
I also give Training Advice via http://www.ForeverEndurance.com

The above poster has eschewed traditional employment and is currently undertaking the ill-conceived task of launching his own hardgoods company. Statements are not made on behalf of nor reflective of anything in any manner... unless they're good, then they count.
http://www.AGNCYINNOVATION.com
Quote Reply
Re: Asked my teammate if he wanted to go for a trail run....(video) [xtrpickels] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
xtrpickels wrote:
Real men run Long's from the Boulder Courthouse...

Nice run and video!
I agree that the FKT practice of trail cutting is a bit suspect at times.

People on 14ers.com are giving me the, "they are climber's trails and not for the general public" thing, or "fastest known time by any way possible is more inspiring". It does seem like a lot of the FKT's around Long's use the same shortcuts. Some of them even have official names. But I feel like it's just asking for trouble (meaning erosion - especially as mountain running is becoming more popular).

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ed,
Beautiful video! Thanks for sharing this. Keep posting videos. I believe we need more running/triathlon content on YouTube. Too many of us are on bike trainers watching a replay of some race video we've already watched because there's nothing new to checkout. We appreciate it!

YouTube
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice video. Great day in the mountains. Sure does make Mississippi look boring....

Let food be thy medicine...
Quote Reply
Re: Asked my teammate if he wanted to go for a trail run....(video) [mlegrand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks! Already got the next route in the works.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great video! Takes me back.....I lived in Estes from '87 - 91...used to be my backyard.

Loved all the seasons up there...but, winter was my favorite. Loved snowshoeing in the valleys below the RMNP peaks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks like you guys went through the 'Loft' to get to Longs. One of the best bathrooms on the bottom of that climb! Love it.

Stephen J

I believe my local reality has been violated.
Quote | Reply
stephenj wrote:
Looks like you guys went through the 'Loft' to get to Longs. One of the best bathrooms on the bottom of that climb! Love it.

Stephen J

Haha, yeah, Brian made use of that privy at the bottom of the Loft!

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: Asked my teammate if he wanted to go for a trail run....(video) [mlegrand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A slightly less hardcore, but no less magical day in the mountains.

A Perfect Day with Dogs.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply