Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Cervelo P5d - Only bike for a 6ft6 newbie
Quote | Reply
Just about to place an order for the last remaining size 58 P5 disc in Europe....and making sure it's a "makes sense" purchase!

I'm 46 (220lbs and 6ft6) and been running (beyond parkruns) about a year. Not had a bike since I was a kid but got a Wahoo Kickr Indoor Bike to do some cycling over lockdown and keep loosing weight (was 330lbs a few years back)

So....Like the idea of cycling and so now want to try for a sub 12 hr Ironman in 2021 as a "target" to keep me exercising. Plan was to get a Trek Madone 2021 but it arrived today with a cracked frame!!!! So.....waiting 5 weeks for a new one to come.

Got me thinking, maybe I should just get a TT bike (as a few have said I should) so got looking and found this last P5 for sale.

My use will be training on it at weekends (both pre and after the Ironman) and maybe a few duathlons now and then to spice up my weekends of doing the occasional 5/10k race.

I NEVER will ride in a group - I never ride or run with anyone (apart from my little dog) so the "TT bikes no good in groups thing doesnt matter.

Just wondering if a TT bike as my only bike is sensible and also if (at 6ft6) I'll fit on a 58 (it will have the ex10 front end fitted)

Thanks

Mark
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P5d - Only bike for a 6ft6 newbie [marklewis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have you gone thru a fitting process, and what is your Pad Stack and Pad Reach?

Anne Barnes
ABBikefit, Ltd
FIST/SICI/FIST DOWN DEEP
X/Y Coordinator
abbikefit@gmail.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I tried a P5 first and ended up with a P2. Far easier to adjust to fit me than the "super bike" class of tri bikes. As noted, suggest a fit first and then target a tri bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What are your fit numbers?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As others here will tell you get a fitting first.
Especially due to the price point of a P5 and the fit characteristics of a P5.

Next as a leggy 6'4" who has owned multiple Cervelo's going back to 2005.

Unless you are VERY Flexible or have VERY VERY Short legs that P5 will not fit you without a bunch of spacers and other crap on the bike that will
A) Make it Slow
B) Handle like crap
C) Make is look like shit

The good news at 6'6" the proper fitting bike will save a lot of money, because the "SUPERBIKES" won't fit you properly. So unless you get a custom frame you should not be out $10k for a bike.

The good (but not SUPERBIKE's) TT Bikes like a Felt B series (This was the best fitting TT bike I have owned) / New Cervelo P2/3 / Scott Plasma (This is a "Tall and Narrow" Geometry bike).

So you will be able to pickup one of those bike's then with the money you save you will be able to upgrade:
* Wheels
* Aero Bar upgrade (This will be an important conversation with your fitter. Profit Design Subsonic Race with Stacking spacers could be your friend as a tall person Lots of flexiblity for fitting with this setup. Canyon uses this as an OEM Aerobar)
* Tri Rig Brakes
* Powermeter

Boom you have your bike, that fits well, looks good, and will not handle like crap.
P5 Disc $8k Retail
vs.
Felt B Series (Tall and Narrow) $2200 Retail + 2k Wheels + $400 Aero Bar + Power Meter $800 = $3400 (Upgrade to Ultegra $500) $3900
Cervelo P2 $2900 Retail + 2k Wheels + $400 Aero Bar + Power Meter $800 = $6300

Just thoughts from a tall guy, who suffered the first 6 years of triathlon on bad fitting bikes.

Pete

2017 Cervelo P2
2017 Cervelo S2
itraininla.com
#itraininla
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a 2014 61cm P5 that I plan to list in the classifieds. It's the P5-3 so the cockpit is very adjustable.

I am 6'4" and it fits me perfect, but then it should as I had a Retul fit done first and this was the frame best suited to my stack and reach.

If you know your stack/reach and think this could be a fit shoot me a PM if interested. May end up saving you a bunch of money and still get you on a "superbike".
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P5d - Only bike for a 6ft6 newbie [gymrat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I suppose Speed Concepts are no longer a super bike?
I fit fine on one (although I’d prefer a bit more pad reach and to end of bars (long forearms)) with a high/far stem at 6’6”.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Being 6ft 4 looong legs myself, most super bikes only come in L not XL sadly (would love the canyon speedmax CF in XL!).
There are a few options though, the old scott plasma superbike comes in size 61/XL, and then there is the trek speed concept also in XL. You can find Pad X/Y for both and see if either fits you.
Quote Reply