Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Does Froome get selected for TdF and can he be a factor in 2021 with new team [brasch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
brasch wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
brasch wrote:
For either Froome or Thomas to be serious contenders, they would have to almost match Bernal in the Mountains and win on the TT and from what I recall itā€™s not a flat TT this year. On the other hand, columbians in general havenā€™t had the most consistent careers.
When thatā€™s said, Froome is too old, he wonā€™t win the tour again, doubt he would have won last year either, 2018 was his last real shot at 5 wins

Haha....maybe 2012 was his last real shot for his 5th win (before the other 4 happened) and then there was 2014 crash. Heck if he won both of those, and actually stayed upright in the Dauphine last year, we'd all be talking about him matching Number 7 last year and maybe retiring now!

But I guess this is why they race.

In 2012, if he was so much stringer than wiggins, why didnt he just take it then? - i Think the team, aside from wiggins, would have forgiven him for not following team orders of he won the tour. I dont get it, if he surely could have taken it, he should have done so, But maybe he werent that much better than the rest. In 2014 both Froome and Contador crashed out and ā€œhandedā€ the victory to Nibali. But Contador never really came back after that, did he? - i doubt he would have won anyway. As for Froome, he would have lost the tour on the cobbles anyway, had he been able to continue. From what I recall, he wasnt THAT injuried after his crash (I might be wrong). 2018 there was the whole TUE case and that might have taken a mental toll on him, but still he did a Landis and won the Giro. So he didnt have his usual peak in the tour. I doubt it was a mental thing, what happened was that got greedy. 2019 he would never have beaten Bernal. This year, a lot of recovery and too old, next year, Iā€™ll doubt heā€™ll be en top-5. Personally I hope heā€™s in good shape and lands somewhere near the podium in ā€˜20 or ā€˜21 just so heā€™ll have a decent ending to his career after the crash, But I doubt it. I dont feel certain that all 3 Grand tours Will be ridden this year, theyā€™ll surely start the tour, But probably be cut even shorter and rest of season is cancelled, if I had to put my own money on it. If everything does play nice and the races are held, I Think evenepoel in the Giro is the most interesting. The Way he has smoked everyone so far an his statement That he wants to ride GC should be interesting.

As of this moment, Remcoā€™s major competitors are Carapaz, Fuglsang, and an old Nibali and based on Michele Ferrariā€™s estimation, Evenepoel has the w/kg to win a grand tour, so who knows.

Based on the firepower at the tour this year, if I were a top rider who hasnā€™t won a grand tour like Pinot, Iā€™d gamble on the Giro being riden, pull out of the tour and win the Giro.

Dan Mayberry
Amateur a lot of things, professional a few things.
Last edited by: drm437: Jul 27, 20 19:17
Quote Reply
Re: Does Froome get selected for TdF and can he be a factor in 2021 with new team [drm437] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
maybe that's the Ineos plan. Send Froome to the TdF and if he's off, then just back it way off, maybe stage hunt, do some Bernal protect duty and then launch for a full up attack on the Giro against Nibali.
Quote Reply
Re: Does Froome get selected for TdF and can he be a factor in 2021 with new team [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That would certainly make things a little more interesting at the Giro. Im certainly curious to find out what form Froome is in either way. i wouldnā€™t mind if one of the JV guys went as well (whomever it suits and I know the tour doesnā€™t really suit Dumoulin...).

Dan Mayberry
Quote Reply
Re: Does Froome get selected for TdF and can he be a factor in 2021 with new team [drm437] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
drm437 wrote:
That would certainly make things a little more interesting at the Giro. Im certainly curious to find out what form Froome is in either way. i wouldnā€™t mind if one of the JV guys went as well (whomever it suits and I know the tour doesnā€™t really suit Dumoulin...).

Well I would like to know Froome's form, but at the UAE tour in Feb it kind of sucked. So hopefully he has come around!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Does Froome get selected for TdF and can he be a factor in 2021 with new team [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My feeling is that Ineos wont bring Froome to the Tour, he has one foot out the door and he has stated publicly that he wants to ride the Tour to win, but lets face it Bernal has a much better shot at wining and unlike Movistar, Ineos never was big on circus/shit shows.

As for next year, I am not sure if he has it and it will be tough for me to root for him, I am a fan of ISN, I love that they are giving guys like Picoli and Mcabe a shot that they would otherwise never get, but now with Froome they are going to have to hire much more established guys to have around him so they won't be this plucky little team punching above their weight, and I am just not a fan of Froome personally.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If he is fit enough to make the team they will take him. Ineos donā€™t seem to worry too much about taking multiple contenders and figuring out who is best during the race. It is what worked for them at the last 2 Tours and f Jumbo is firing on all cylinders they wonā€™t want to show with the B team.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
drm437 wrote:
brasch wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
brasch wrote:
For either Froome or Thomas to be serious contenders, they would have to almost match Bernal in the Mountains and win on the TT and from what I recall itā€™s not a flat TT this year. On the other hand, columbians in general havenā€™t had the most consistent careers.
When thatā€™s said, Froome is too old, he wonā€™t win the tour again, doubt he would have won last year either, 2018 was his last real shot at 5 wins

Haha....maybe 2012 was his last real shot for his 5th win (before the other 4 happened) and then there was 2014 crash. Heck if he won both of those, and actually stayed upright in the Dauphine last year, we'd all be talking about him matching Number 7 last year and maybe retiring now!

But I guess this is why they race.

In 2012, if he was so much stringer than wiggins, why didnt he just take it then? - i Think the team, aside from wiggins, would have forgiven him for not following team orders of he won the tour. I dont get it, if he surely could have taken it, he should have done so, But maybe he werent that much better than the rest. In 2014 both Froome and Contador crashed out and ā€œhandedā€ the victory to Nibali. But Contador never really came back after that, did he? - i doubt he would have won anyway. As for Froome, he would have lost the tour on the cobbles anyway, had he been able to continue. From what I recall, he wasnt THAT injuried after his crash (I might be wrong). 2018 there was the whole TUE case and that might have taken a mental toll on him, but still he did a Landis and won the Giro. So he didnt have his usual peak in the tour. I doubt it was a mental thing, what happened was that got greedy. 2019 he would never have beaten Bernal. This year, a lot of recovery and too old, next year, Iā€™ll doubt heā€™ll be en top-5. Personally I hope heā€™s in good shape and lands somewhere near the podium in ā€˜20 or ā€˜21 just so heā€™ll have a decent ending to his career after the crash, But I doubt it. I dont feel certain that all 3 Grand tours Will be ridden this year, theyā€™ll surely start the tour, But probably be cut even shorter and rest of season is cancelled, if I had to put my own money on it. If everything does play nice and the races are held, I Think evenepoel in the Giro is the most interesting. The Way he has smoked everyone so far an his statement That he wants to ride GC should be interesting.

As of this moment, Remcoā€™s major competitors are Carapaz, Fuglsang, and an old Nibali and based on Michele Ferrariā€™s estimation, Evenepoel has the w/kg to win a grand tour, so who knows.

Based on the firepower at the tour this year, if I were a top rider who hasnā€™t won a grand tour like Pinot, Iā€™d gamble on the Giro being riden, pull out of the tour and win the Giro.
Carapaz surely is a contender, aging Nibali, May. Fulgsang, same age as Nibali, a top 10 would be good, top 5 if everything works out, hardly a podium contender for a GT, canā€™t see him beating neither Nibali nor carapaz and then who else is showing up? Yates (either one of them), any top-10 contender for the tour that werent quite fit enough at the start - tour has Mountains on stage 2 this year, so someone might quit and ride Giro instead and be more ready? What about jumbo-wismo, anyone for the Giro?
Then again, the Big question, Evenepoel, drops people who have a name for themselves on the flats, hard to beat in a TT. If he has the (will)power for sustained climbing, he might not win, but could be one of those guys that you just dont drop by more than 10-15 seconds, that could be a podium.
If Froome is good, But not quite there, I could easily imagining him quitting the tour and go for Vuelta or Giro instead. Not the same and Will probably not win 5 tours, But with his career on or two Giro/Vuelta wins Will only make his palmares even more impressive When looking back. I Think that Froome deep Down knows wether or not he has another tour victory in him, he knows itā€™s downhill from now on and Can, at best, hope to have the same form next year. If heā€™s too far off by now, another tour win Will only Happen if competition crashes out. His move to ISUN is a pointer to that, probably a Nice pay check, captainicy on the team, But Also he realises he wonā€™t be Ineos captain ever again. He could be a very good domestique for Ineos at a decent wage, even get a shot at Vuelta or Giro. This is of course just speculation
Quote Reply
Re: Does Froome get selected for TdF and can he be a factor in 2021 with new team [brasch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
if nothing else, Im fascinated by Remco Evenepoelā€™s racing strategy. My knowledge of him is based solely on watching lanterne rouge and racing videos so take this with a grain of salt, but i can see him listening to his DS and running a restrained race and landing on the podium. i can also see him being super aggressive, winning 2 stages but blowing up on a stage and finishing 40 minutes back. Should be interesting either way.

As far as Froome goes, pretty confident he will at least start the tour. His team says so, anyhow. Whether he plans on finishing, only he knows. He would certainly liven up the Giro as a 85% Froome should at least hang with those listed so far.

Dan Mayberry
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The more I think of it, given this year's TdF offers mountain tests in week 1, Froome and Ineos can let the first week truly decide if he can stay in contention and at that point, give it a full on assualt or dial way back. In previous tours, he would have had the pressure of living through the first week of sprinter and cobble or passage du Gois type stages with the stress of not losing time and not even knowing if his legs are up to the real task of being a contender in the mountains. This year, they know right away on week 1, so if he's not up to it, he can dial back, save matches, do some team tempo riding, maybe stage hunt a few at the end, and slide way down the GC with easy days and just put in more miles before the Giro.

If his legs and cardio are "on" during week 1, then we get a full on La Vie Claire style intra squad race (like the team that Hinault, Lemond, Bauer, Ruttiman, Hampsten all on the same squad where they went Hinault 1st, Lemond 2nd, Hampsten 4th) and you had the Hinault squad racing the Lemond squad with Hampsten going white jersey and stage hunting.
Quote Reply
Re: Does Froome get selected for TdF and can he be a factor in 2021 with new team [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:
trail wrote:
Ohio_Roadie wrote:
They are bleeding watts with those Maxxis tires alone.

They use "Maxxis" tires that are not commercially available. I would not automatically call them stupid.

they're smart, any loss due to tires or heavy pinarello frame is more than made up for in other areas...

They are running these this year from what I have seen. https://www.maxxis.com/...-486-117-campione-tt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Based on today at Tour d'Occitane, he was 5:11 back of Bernal on the first mountain stage in the Pyranees.

https://www.velonews.com/...rches-for-tour-form/

That's not looking awesome for 4 weeks from now when they will be hitting the mountains outside of Nice
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Based on today at Tour d'Occitane, he was 5:11 back of Bernal on the first mountain stage in the Pyranees.

That's not looking awesome for 4 weeks from now when they will be hitting the mountains outside of Nice

Bernal 6.3w/kg for nearly 30 mins & we all know what that means
Quote Reply
Re: Does Froome get selected for TdF and can he be a factor in 2021 with new team [NAB777] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NAB777 wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:

haha...Ryder Hesjedal e-assist or Ferrari-lite training plan or Columbia mountain getaway from WADA altitude plan?
Last edited by: devashish_paul: Aug 3, 20 17:41
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
NAB777 wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:

haha...Ryder Hesjedal e-assist or Ferrari-lite training plan or Columbia mountain getaway from WADA altitude plan?

Well...I will be diplomatic & just say that everyone else is up against it...>!
Quote Reply
Re: Does Froome get selected for TdF and can he be a factor in 2021 with new team [Ohio_Roadie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ohio_Roadie wrote:
ericMPro wrote:
trail wrote:
Ohio_Roadie wrote:
They are bleeding watts with those Maxxis tires alone.

They use "Maxxis" tires that are not commercially available. I would not automatically call them stupid.

they're smart, any loss due to tires or heavy pinarello frame is more than made up for in other areas...

They are running these this year from what I have seen. https://www.maxxis.com/...-486-117-campione-tt

Nils Politt was spotted riding Continental tires at the teams recent recon of Paris-Roubaix.
They are riding factors btw.
Quote Reply

Prev Next