Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Switch to road bike short course
Quote | Reply
Been riding my 10 year old Trek Aluminum road bike all summer leaving the Cervelo P3 in the garage as there are no races to train for and loving the rides so much more than riding the P3 in Aero...

All else being equal for short course racing would it ever make sense to race in a top end road bike with those small ITU legal aero bars rather than my P3?

Thinking if getting a new road bike...
Quote Reply
Re: Switch to road bike short course [GoJohnnyGo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Short answer is "no."

For a shorter race, the time savings of the P3 is less, but so are the time gaps between places. Since shorter courses are raced at higher speeds, the aerodynamic advantage is actually more important. There are also fewer issues holding aero for a sprint vs. and IM.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Switch to road bike short course [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Only if the course is super hilly with technical decent. As soon as there is head or tail wind on a flat straight away, I nearly have to produce 80-100 watts more to maintain the same speed with a Tri buddy next to me
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The answer to just about any question is always yes if it means you get a new bike. Anyone who says otherwise is a puppy-kicking liar that does not believe in Santa and should not listened to under any circumstances.

/endthread
Quote Reply
Re: Switch to road bike short course [CAT3_TRI Racer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CAT3_TRI Racer wrote:
Only if the course is super hilly with technical decent. As soon as there is head or tail wind on a flat straight away, I nearly have to produce 80-100 watts more to maintain the same speed with a Tri buddy next to me

Yup this. Just ride on your roadie with people on TT bikes and see how much harder you have to ride...
Quote Reply
Re: Switch to road bike short course [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
probably stating the obvious here but...

If you have a "wrong" or overly aggressive position on the P-3, it will also be less fun to ride than your road bike.

I'm sure Dan & a lot of the other folks on here would say that a properly set up TT bike doesn't have to be uncomfortable to be aero... more aero than your road bike could ever be.

But DO buy the new bike anyway.

http://www.fitspeek.com the Fraser Valley's fitness, wellness, and endurance sports podcast
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
only if you want to go slower. End of thread.

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply