Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

What Shimano Ultegra Groupos To Use On a Tri-Bike?
Quote | Reply
Hi fellows,

On a tri-bike what would be the best Shimano Ultegra groupos to use?

I notice that Shimano has both the 11-30T and the 12-28T.

https://si.shimano.com/...DM-CS0004-04-ENG.pdf

Thank you,

GG
Quote Reply
Re: What Shimano Ultegra Groupos To Use On a Tri-Bike? [Gatineau Gator] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There's not really a "right" answer as everyone's different. Personally, I've got 11-32 on my bike (including trip bike when I had one) and love it. Others would say there's no reason to have anything other than an 11-23.
Quote Reply
Re: What Shimano Ultegra Groupos To Use On a Tri-Bike? [Gatineau Gator] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You ask about groupset, but the link is for a cassette, so 2 different questions. I will answer both...

IMHO, the best value groupset is Ultegra 8000. It is latest tech and considerably cheaper than Dura Ace. If you are looking for the least expensive DI2, then the prior 6800 series is a little less money and does not give much in function.

Cassette size is totally personal. It depends on your strength and where you ride. If you live and race in a totally flat region to mild rolling hills, then I would get an 11-23 (that is what I race on). If you are a newer cyclist and live in a rolling hills region, or you live in a mountainous region, then get a 11-25 to 11-28 depending on your strength. Or, get a long cage rear derailleur and a cassette with an even larger rear cog.

Regarding a 11 tooth versus 12 tooth smallest cog, I personally think that the 11 tooth is useless. I rarely use it, no matter how steep the descent. I would much prefer that my cassettes start with a 12 and then give up one of the gaps. But, there are few choices like that on the market.
Quote Reply
Re: What Shimano Ultegra Groupos To Use On a Tri-Bike? [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi fellows,

Sorry, I did not pose my inital question very well.

To expand on my intitial question, I notice the QR PRSIX2 DISC tri-bike uses the crankset FSA SLK Light 52-36. Is 52-36 considered the correct crankset for tri-bikes? I notice at the website the FSA SLK Light there are different sizes of cranksets. What advantages and disadvantages do the different sizes provide to a tri-bike?

Thank you in advance :)

GG
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gatineau Gator wrote:
Hi fellows,

To expand on my intitial question, I notice the QR PRSIX2 DISC tri-bike uses the crankset FSA SLK Light 52-36. Is 52-36 considered the correct crankset for tri-bikes? I notice at the website the FSA SLK Light there are different sizes of cranksets. What advantages and disadvantages do the different sizes provide to a tri-bike?

My answer is pretty much the same. There's not really a "correct" crankset. It's a matter of personal preference. I prefer a compact crankset on my bikes (50x34) while others prefer something much bigger.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The 52-36 crankset is probably the most common size you will find on new road bikes. I would not pay extra to change it unless you know you need something different. If a 28 tooth cassette is not enough for you where you ride, and you want to stick with a mid-cage RD, then consider swapping to a compact or sub-compact chainring set.
Quote Reply
Re: What Shimano Ultegra Groupos To Use On a Tri-Bike? [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
logella wrote:
My answer is pretty much the same. There's not really a "correct" crankset. It's a matter of personal preference. I prefer a compact crankset on my bikes (50x34) while others prefer something much bigger.

Agree that it's personal preference. I started on 53/39 and went from 11-21 to 11-28 as things moved from 9-speed to 11-speed. I now have 52/36 on my tri bike and cross/gravel/road bike. I'm still getting used to feeling like I'm in the right gear...considering going back to 53/39 on the triathlon bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The interesting thing is that you have not mentioned what crank arm length is appropriate for your fit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is no correct but......and 52-36 is a good sweet spot in the middle that can handle just about every cycling condition out there except really big climbs....but why would you do big climbs on a TT bike in the first place. In the rear a 12-28 is a good sweet spot too for most people
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Seriously tempted to try the Wickwerks 53/34 chainrings.

https://wickwerks.com/...ke-ultra-wide-53-34/

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Quote Reply
Re: What Shimano Ultegra Groupos To Use On a Tri-Bike? [Rideon77] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rideon77 wrote:
There is no correct but......and 52-36 is a good sweet spot in the middle that can handle just about every cycling condition out there except really big climbs....but why would you do big climbs on a TT bike in the first place. In the rear a 12-28 is a good sweet spot too for most people

Ummm... because there are many courses out there that have both big climbs and flat sections where the TT bike gives a much bigger advantage than is lost on the climb. Did a tri with a 92 mile bike leg on Saturday, first 80 miles was rolling hills that were perfect for the TT bike. Then ended with a 1500 vertical foot climb at the end, started with a rolling gradual uphill and the last few miles were steep. Guy right behind me switched to a road bike at the bottom of the climb, which was legal with this race as you had to have personal support. Caught and passed me on the first steep pitch. Then on the next flat section I passed him back and stayed ahead on the part with alternating flat and steep sections. Then he passed me back on the last steep section, and then I passed him back on a final flat mile before the finish, so he had no net gain on the whole stretch. Road bike isn't nearly as big an advantage on the climbs as most think it is if you're properly set up on your TT bike, have adequate gears, and don't overload your bike with all kinds of crap.
Quote Reply
Re: What Shimano Ultegra Groupos To Use On a Tri-Bike? [tttiltheend] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi fellows,

If Shimano comes out with a new 12 gear system, call it 9200. How long does it take for QR to put it on their Tri-bikes?

thank you

GG
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At least one year from the official release date of the groupset, since the parts are usually not available before then anyway
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What crank arm length do you need?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gatineau Gator wrote:
Hi fellows,

On a tri-bike what would be the best Shimano Ultegra groupos to use?

I notice that Shimano has both the 11-30T and the 12-28T.

https://si.shimano.com/...DM-CS0004-04-ENG.pdf

Thank you,

GG

Gearing choice is dependent on: type of riding (hills, flat, wind), cadence and power to weight ratio.

So, a strong shinny guy (5 w/kg) on a flat course at low cadence will be happy with 53/39 + 11-23.

and a heavier guy (3 w/kg) who want a high cadence on a hilly course will struggle with 50/34 + 11-32
Last edited by: benleg: Jul 27, 20 16:12
Quote Reply
Re: What Shimano Ultegra Groupos To Use On a Tri-Bike? [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
What crank arm length do you need?

Hi, thanks for your question....but I have no idea :(
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gatineau Gator wrote:
Hi fellows,

GG

Depends a lot on how strong you are as a cyclist and how hilly your routes are. I actually just got some 55-42 Q-rings for my TT bike which should be in tomorrow- that's definitely not for everyone though. I'm a strong cyclist (~300W, >4w/kg FTP in aero) with a fairly low cadence (hard for me to get much over 90 rpm in aero), so I found I was spinning out a 53-11 on anything more than a 1-2% downhill. Since I'm a strong climber, a 42-28 should still get me up short hills without going too deep and allow me to climb longer grades of 7-8% with no problem. But big chain rings on the front aren't for everyone- really only for those with very high w/CDA even more than w/kg. If you naturally spin a higher cadence and can comfortably get over 100rpm, you probably won't need the bigger chainrings as much either.

Personally, I would rather have a wider range on both ends of gearing than be limited on either end- I like pairing bigger chainrings with larger cassettes on the back, so that you can stay in the big ring longer (front shifts suck with cable TT shifters) and still climb decent grades. I'm not at all a fan of the new SRAM AXS gearing for TTs- the small sprockets on the back where you'll spend a lot of time on a flat course are very inefficient from a friction perspective (not to mention the cost of even force eTap). There's a lot of ways to skin the cat to get the gearing you want, so it just depends on what you're preference is and what type of rider you are.
Quote Reply
Re: What Shimano Ultegra Groupos To Use On a Tri-Bike? [mikeridesbikes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mikeridesbikes wrote:
Gatineau Gator wrote:
Hi fellows,

GG

Depends a lot on how strong you are as a cyclist and how hilly your routes are. I actually just got some 55-42 Q-rings for my TT bike which should be in tomorrow- that's definitely not for everyone though. I'm a strong cyclist (~300W, >4w/kg FTP in aero) with a fairly low cadence (hard for me to get much over 90 rpm in aero), so I found I was spinning out a 53-11 on anything more than a 1-2% downhill. Since I'm a strong climber, a 42-28 should still get me up short hills without going too deep and allow me to climb longer grades of 7-8% with no problem. But big chain rings on the front aren't for everyone- really only for those with very high w/CDA even more than w/kg. If you naturally spin a higher cadence and can comfortably get over 100rpm, you probably won't need the bigger chainrings as much either.

Personally, I would rather have a wider range on both ends of gearing than be limited on either end- I like pairing bigger chainrings with larger cassettes on the back, so that you can stay in the big ring longer (front shifts suck with cable TT shifters) and still climb decent grades. I'm not at all a fan of the new SRAM AXS gearing for TTs- the small sprockets on the back where you'll spend a lot of time on a flat course are very inefficient from a friction perspective (not to mention the cost of even force eTap). There's a lot of ways to skin the cat to get the gearing you want, so it just depends on what you're preference is and what type of rider you are.

Depends on personal preferences, I guess. I’m rarely below 100rpm in cadence, if I Can avoid it, so usually i’m actually pretty comfortable on a compact chainset. However much I like the looks of a Big chainset, if I Got a 58/44 or something like that, I’d rarely use the Big ring.
But in general, I would advise on getting several cassettes, depending on whatever profile you’re riding, wether it’s Racing or training. For a flat race 11-25 or 12-25 (i would prefer the 12-25, unless the 11 is absolutely needed), for a hilly race, I’d go standard 11-28, for purely uphill something that ends with 32. The chainset I would choose, would be the one where the fourth low cog on the Big ring would equate to my estimated avg speed for the race. Unless it’s a straight Road in one direction, my experience is that you’ll almost never race at your avg speed, always higher or lower.
And why the fourth low cog? - because you have a small chainring too and to add flexibilty up and Down without too Big jumps between them. Even though a straight chain Line is more efficient, it’s not more efficient, if you havent got the gear you need. I’d say for anyone averaging less than 20mph on the flat, just put a single 44 or 46 chainring on a 12-25 cassette. No, it doesn’t Look sexy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just got a QR PR5 with a 52-36 crank and 11-30 cassette (R8000 Ultegra came with it). Ordered it with 165mm cranks and I'm 6 feet tall with a 34.25 inseam. I also like to spin and stay seated when climbing so I would considered how you ride before ordering anything.
Quote Reply
Re: What Shimano Ultegra Groupos To Use On a Tri-Bike? [lang] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi fellows,

Sorry to go off topic...is there any tri-bike that you would recommend that is better than a Quintara Roo?

thanks,
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I predict almost every post will recommend a different bike. I would start with the Felt IA, Cervelo PX, Premier, Speed Concept, and maybe the Canyon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So many variables. Do you want integrated hydration or other storage? Do you need or prefer a traditional UCI frame? Do you want disc or rim brakes? What is the budget?

Definitely look at the Speed Concept and Giant Trinity. They're still some of the fastest out there and much cheaper than newer super-bikes. The Cube Aerium would be my top pick these days though. Argon E-119 and Orbea Ordu are worth a look.

The Pinarello TR looks slick, but costs quite a bit more.

If I had to switch to disc brakes, I'd look at Felt, Parlee, BMC, Cannondale, P5, P3x, or the upcoming Scott Plasma.
Quote Reply
Re: What Shimano Ultegra Groupos To Use On a Tri-Bike? [lang] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm on the old Specialized Shiv with a 53/39 chainring and a 11-28 cassette. I live in Colorado and it is pretty common for me to go up mile long climbs or steep climbs. I rarely use the 25t cog on my cassette and my 28t cog has never been touched. I wouldn't say I spin on the bike but I typically average 80-90 rpm cadence on my rides.
I use both the R8000 cassette as well as the PG-1170 since I have Sram Force 22 on my bike and it works fine with both.
The Sram one has better gearing arrangements on the cassette towards the lower half while the R8000 is nicer if your using the entire range of cassettes.
After analyzing the gearing on my bike through a spreadsheet. I determined that I am going with a 55/42 and same cassette for the following season since the jumps between is still decently close to each other plus the 42/28 combination is still smaller than a 39/25 if I ever so need it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What do you mean by "better"?
Quote Reply
Re: What Shimano Ultegra Groupos To Use On a Tri-Bike? [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BigBoyND wrote:
So many variables. Do you want integrated hydration or other storage? Do you need or prefer a traditional UCI frame? Do you want disc or rim brakes? What is the budget?

Definitely look at the Speed Concept and Giant Trinity. They're still some of the fastest out there and much cheaper than newer super-bikes. The Cube Aerium would be my top pick these days though. Argon E-119 and Orbea Ordu are worth a look.

The Pinarello TR looks slick, but costs quite a bit more.

If I had to switch to disc brakes, I'd look at Felt, Parlee, BMC, Cannondale, P5, P3x, or the upcoming Scott Plasma.

The Cube Aerium looks like it smokes :)
Quote Reply