Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: What is the hardest 70.3 course you've ever raced? [quinnserfa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Buffalo Springs in 2014 was very hot, high 90's at least. But after a not great swim I rocked the bike course, then negative split the run and beat my '97 time by about 30 minutes (better training, better gear). Haven't been in that kind of shape since.
Quote Reply
Re: What is the hardest 70.3 course you've ever raced? [Bumble Bee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did the race that year as well.

I woke up Sunday morning, and my race partner (two-person team category) said, "C'mon, let's go get ready." My response was, "I'm not racing. I don't want to race. You can't make me!" He talked me into at least setting stuff up in transition which ultimately got me in the mindset to race. It's the only race I've seen when the gun goes off to start the swim where people slowly walk into the water exactly as you describe...like zombies. It was the March of the Dead into the water.

Tad

It took awhile, but I finally discovered that its not the destination that's important, but rather the journey.
Quote Reply
Re: What is the hardest 70.3 course you've ever raced? [chxddstri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
is the new TTT course harder than the original one?
I have fond memories of my legs going full cramp during the 2nd tri on Saturday.
Quote Reply
Re: What is the hardest 70.3 course you've ever raced? [kny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If I remember right, you cut the Fire Tower hill short because the road was too washed out after a nasty storm, and you felt like you needed to put an aid station on top that you couldn't cover. I don't think it was because it was too hard.

I think going through Westernport is the better way to go -- you get a modicum of rest after town, which gives newbies some hope that the worst is over.
Quote Reply
Re: What is the hardest 70.3 course you've ever raced? [Bumble Bee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The bike courses are harder
Quote Reply
Re: What is the hardest 70.3 course you've ever raced? [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
St.Croix
Quote Reply
Re: What is the hardest 70.3 course you've ever raced? [quinnserfa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Auburn, 70.3 named by pros, toughest Half in the world)
~ 5500 ft elevation gain in 56 miles, with 1200 in the first 8-9 miles
run is double out and back, single track, gravel on the western 100 course and little or no shade.
Unfortunately it is no more, but what an event.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Branson only lasted 2 years bike course big ass climbing then run through a outside shopping center
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tyler Texas. March 2014, temp was 50. Lake swim, frozen feet, stayed frozen on the bike and didn't thaw until the run. Bike was a cold 56 miles of hills and chip and seal roads. Very hilly run.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd join others and say easily TTT (Shawnee), for some reason I ran a disc wheel in the back that day not sure why.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would have to say without a doubt SavageMan. I have done that race every year except for one when I was injured.

Not many people come back to this race repeatedly. The transition area is very sadly shrunken from the first few years.

Kind of a shame for a sport that likes to advertise its "toughness", but competition from much easier M-Dot courses has really taken a bite out of participation numbers.
Quote Reply
Re: What is the hardest 70.3 course you've ever raced? [johnald] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
johnald wrote:
I'd join others and say easily TTT (Shawnee), for some reason I ran a disc wheel in the back that day not sure why.

Having done that race 12 times with a few different wheel set-ups, a disc with a 60 or 90 front was the fastest for me.
Quote Reply
Re: What is the hardest 70.3 course you've ever raced? [helo guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
helo guy wrote:
Kind of a shame for a sport that likes to advertise its "toughness", but competition from much easier M-Dot courses has really taken a bite out of participation numbers.
This is something I don't understand but has been a trend for years.
Quote Reply
Re: What is the hardest 70.3 course you've ever raced? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
St Croix was my hardest. Wind, heat, the beast, Coming from the northeast to race in what felt like an inferno the first weekend of May.
Quote Reply

Prev Next