Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Recommend your Bike Shoes
Quote | Reply
What bike shoe are you using? Do you love it?
Please recommend your favorites!!

Would prefer something with one big velcro strap, ideally both 2 & 3 hole compatible. Saving a few seconds in transition is not nearly as important to me as finding something that fits well. I have a really high arch (my foot looks like an upside-down U) so they need a lot of room up top too.

My old ones had a recessed cleat, the little loop on the back that made them easy to pull on, and 3 velcro straps that let me adjust the fit a bit. Loved all those features and would be really happy if I could find something similar. Unfortunately, these were also so ancient they're not even made any more. :(

And if you're still reading along - where do you go to research and buy shoes these days, especially in the time of COVID?

Thank you!
Quote Reply
Re: Recommend your Bike Shoes [KLK1712] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
there are many shoes to recommend, but as you say, fit is utmost of importance. Brand isn't.

Length is fairly easy to get right, but finding proper width and volume can be difficult in cycling shoe world. If you truly have a pes cavus foot, even a laceup shoe can work well. Depending on your actual foot metrics it is hard to make a recommendation.

The only single strap shoe I can think of off the top of my head is the Mavic tri shoe.

Imho, velcro closures are not necessarily the best option, as they 'get tired' over time and do not secure the foot well (or...get filled with dog/cat hair...). Also, the buckle hardware for the strap to loop can cause a hard spot, especially if you have a high arch as you describe.

Boa closures will give equal compression over a larger area.

Anne Barnes
ABBikefit, Ltd
FIST/SICI/FIST DOWN DEEP
X/Y Coordinator
abbikefit@gmail.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't have any answers for you but have the same questions. I'm pretty happy with my specialized torch road shoe fit, but would like to find a good tri shoe option. The torch's need the tongue held in place to get the foot in, even with the convenient boa closure.

My LBS's have very little selection, so I'm wondering if any online retailers have a good return policy?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just got whatever my LBS had that fit reasonably well, but I've gotten a recommendation for the Bont tri shoes before (not Bontrager) because I have high arches and wide feet. I can't speak to them, and they won't just let you buy them and send them back if they don't work out, you have to pay a restock fee.

Formerly GiantNewb, but not such a newb anymore.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have ridden in Sidi shoes for YEARS. Like you I have "wicked high arches". I can say I have raced triathlon for 20+ years now, and I have worn velcro strap shoes only a few times over that time. Most of my half/full iron length races I wore shoes with one velcro and ratchet or boa closures.

The one issue with Sidi is that they are a bit narrow - and a few times bike fitters have recommended that I look for a wider shoe. My feet are not wide, but the theory is that I need room for the bones in my foot to "spread" over the force of the pedal stroke. I have had issues in the past where I've had pain in my 5th metatarsal (bone leading to the pinky toe) in my racing season and the thought was the pain could have been due to the shoes not allowing that "spread". Sidi does have wide shoes but I have not tried them.

This season (during COVID) - I went ahead and bought Bont shoes to give them a try. They have a more natural foot shape. They are most definitely wider and have been feeling good so far, but my longest ride to date in them was 2 hours on the trainer. I like that I can have a little bit of toe wiggle room in there as well (without my feet sliding around). One thing to note is that I immediately replaced the standard insoles with ones that had more arch support, as Bont shoes are very very flat.

If you are a person that is competing for a Kona slot / or on the cusp of winning your age group in a triathlon - and you feel that keeping your shoes on the bike is a must to save time - then you probably want to look at Lake brand shoes. I think they have a single strap shoe. I have tried to learn how to do the flying mount with shoes, and personally I've witnessed too many people crashing so I take the 20 seconds to fasten my shoes off the bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are literally hundreds of choices of shoes as far as colors, materials, fasteners and the like.

But as far as shape, 99.9% of cycling shoes are the same. Narrow toe boxes cramming toes together, curved bottoms putting feet into unnatural toes extended position (called a "toe spring", a relic of early 20th century leather soled footware). Here is a thread with lots of good info:

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...%20drtrikat#p3603618

I have found only one company last I checked that makes non-custom ("mass" produced) cycling shoes on a flat soled last (no toe spring): Lintaman. They also make them with wider toe boxes for a more natural feel.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
https://lamsoncycling.com/road-shoes

After spending all the money on a bike, wheels, etc., spend the money on shoes through which power is transfer into the pedals and drivetrain. Bespoke custom shoes and custom insoles will resolve any fit issues, make you more comfortable, and allow better power output. Don can make you shoes with Boas enclosures, or Velcro. He just built the shoes pictured below for a very accomplished track rider who preferred a Velcro closure.

Last edited by: djg21: Aug 26, 20 4:32
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't have favorites but often wear Sidi shoes. I bought many shoes and boots at everest store recently. I joined caliber membership to get discounts and free express shipping. I like that all gear for outdoor activities are in one store.
Last edited by: WilliG: Mar 4, 22 2:29
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I went through this process a few years ago.
I probably ordered 20-25 pair of shoes. I'd call up where I was ordering from though, tell them why I was about to order 4-8 pair of shoes and double check their return policy.

When I got them I wore them around the house for ~3h. if they were at all uncomfy I sent them back. Sure I paid a bunch in return shipping yet that's a lot less expensive than buying a pair and suffering for however long you can do that.

Like you I have very high arches. My feet are also high volume and wide with one foot being higher volume/taller than the other. Yeah me! <-sarcasm

I ended up in some Lake 403 wides. Came from custom D2 shoes. I'll probably ride the Lakes through this season and go back to some custom shoes. The lakes are great. I prefer them when out of the saddle compared to my old shoes. My bike feels like a rocket. At the end of a 4-6h ride they aren't as comfy as my old shoes. If they have about 2mm more height over the proximal phalange area on my L foot they'd be awesome.

In the end though if you don't have a LBS that stocks deeply in shoes, ordering several pair and shipping back those that don't work is probably your best bet.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply