Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Aversion to sweet
Quote | Reply
I've been using liquid nutrition almost exclusively on the bike for over 4 years, but have recently gotten to the point where the sweetness of it is totally repulsive after just a couple of hours; particularly if it is warm out. Just this year, I've tried personalized Infiinit (with flavor dialed down), Tailwind, and Skratch. Are there any "unflavored" options that don't have that sickly sweet aftertaste? I've tried (flavored) UCAN several times over the years, but not a big fan as I can't seem to get it to mix sufficiently.

Perhaps related, perhaps not, but I often have stomach issues (bloating) off of the bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Aversion to sweet [mediocreat3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've had success mixing my own nutrition. Maltodextrin is basically tasteless. I mix it with fructose which in my opinion is not sweet at all too. I add some artificial flavour and some electrolytes depending on duration/weather/etc.

For me 50g/h maltodextrin + 18g/h fructose for longer races and training days. With just the maltodextrin you can achieve good osmolality at 200ml of water which is not much. Optionally you could also add xantam gum to achieve a similar texture to gels.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
maurten’s has a very very mild sweetness to it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another vote for malto.

Let food be thy medicine...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use F2C Glyco-Durance which comes in an unflavored raw version. I usually mix some flavored with a bunch of the raw when making super bottles, it works great and you can control how sweet it is. All-around awesome product that should help with any bloating too.

Strava
Last edited by: mstewarttri: Jul 25, 20 13:02
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You've tried Tailwind.. did you notice they do a "Naked Unflavoured" variety?

Cheers, Rich
Quote Reply
Re: Aversion to sweet [knighty76] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is the sweetness from the flavor though?

Usually they put a acidic flavor to cut the sweet and salty.

I found GU espresso love was less sweet or acidic... if you can get hold of the powder. Its less sweet because they make it with rice so theres more complex carbs

If you mix one bottle stronger than the other, you can rinse your mouth out after drinking. This gets rid of the after taste but is also good for your teeth.... Warm day, dry saliva, syrupy acidic sugar drinks....
Quote Reply
Re: Aversion to sweet [Lucas_Martins] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Love this. I use Gatorade as my base flavor and just add sucrose and sodium citrate for about 80% of the total carbs and sodium.

Sucrose beats the osmolarity of malto+fructose, but is probably sweeter overall. I find if I keep flavor mild, (low Gatorade concentration), that I can tolerate very high sweetness from sucrose just fine. If Gatorade concentration is too high though it becomes completely unpalatable.

Dr. Alex Harrison | Founder & CEO | Sport Physiology & Performance PhD
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
📱 Check out our app → Saturday: Pro Fuel & Hydration, a performance nutrition coach in your pocket.
Join us on YouTube → Saturday Morning | Ride & Run Faster and our growing Saturday User Hub
Quote Reply