Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Gravel Wheelset Recommendations [golden9] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
golden9 wrote:
Looking for recommendations on a road/gravel wheelset with following desires:

1) 30-40mm depth (700c)
2) compatible with tire widths from 32-48 (as low as 25 preferrable but can live with 32)
3) disc brake
4) clincher tube and tubeless compatible
5) preferably less than $2,000

Zipp 303 Firecrest? Enve's? What else?

Zipp Course 30s easily meet your requirements listed and would cost ~1/2 your listed budget...leaving plenty to spend on other goodies :-)

I've ridden a set for >2 years on gravel/light singletrack, and they've been flawless performers for me.

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Gravel Wheelset Recommendations [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
golden9 wrote:

1) 30-40mm depth (700c)
2) compatible with tire widths from 32-48 (as low as 25 preferrable but can live with 32)
3) disc brake

Zipp Course 30s easily meet your requirements listed and would cost ~1/2 your listed budget...leaving plenty to spend on other goodies :-)

I've ridden a set for >2 years on gravel/light singletrack, and they've been flawless performers for me.

1/2 my listed budget? That's good to hear but, where are you seeing these wheels for $1,000? Are talking about a wheelset or cost per wheel?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
golden9 wrote:
Tom A. wrote:
golden9 wrote:

1) 30-40mm depth (700c)
3) disc brake

1/2 my listed budget? That's good to hear but, where are you seeing these wheels for $1,000? Are talking about a wheelset or cost per wheel?

I'm talking per wheelset. See here: https://www.sram.com/...models/wh-30c-cld-a1

(Sorry about the late reply...notifications seem to be running about 3-4 days late for me from ST)

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How about Spinergy? Relatively light weight and has a great deal going on now 1k for the carbon GXX 24mm internal - 29 external - 26 deep. Weighs 1525g
Add $300 and you get another set of Alloy wheels of choice so maybe even a set of 650b!
Also get to pick your spoke colours and decal colours.
Quote Reply
Re: Gravel Wheelset Recommendations [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To those who’ve recommended the Hed Eroica, hoe is the tubeless setup (ie difficulty or ease) compared to other wheels you’ve had?

Matt
Quote Reply
Re: Gravel Wheelset Recommendations [Chemist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chemist wrote:
To those who’ve recommended the Hed Eroica, hoe is the tubeless setup (ie difficulty or ease) compared to other wheels you’ve had?

I have only done two types of tires. The first set was some of the regular vulcanized 120 tpi Challenge Gravel Grinder TLRs. Those tires seemed to be pretty inconsistent and one was super tight. The other sets was the Gravel Grinder Pros. Those are a very supple 260 tpi casing with the tread glued on a cotton casing. Those were easier to get on, even though those open tubular type tires can be sort of odd because the side walls are much softer than a vulcanized tire. If you are curious, the Pros ride very nicely and have about the lowest Crr Of any gravel tire. They are also stupidly expensive. We need the GP5000 equivalent for gravel tires. I wouldn’t buy the vulcanized gravel Grinders again. Nothing special and I thought the manufacturing was inconsistent.

The Eroica wheels have a decent deep channel so I don’t think installs would be bad with most tires.
Quote Reply
Re: Gravel Wheelset Recommendations [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. I’ve got a pair of Continental Terra Speed I picked up awhile back and was thinking of just getting a second wheelset rather than swapping tires when switching from gravel to road. Per Tom A it’s a fast tires but not sure how easy it is to mount it tubeless

Matt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Chemist wrote:

how i judge a wheel, for tubeless purposes, is: 1) ease of mounting, which means a nice well for the bead installed first, and the precise right ETRTO bead specs; 2) when in inflate it without sealant, does it hold air reasonably well? 3) do i need to way overinflate it to get it to bead up? the eroica/emporia passes all my tests.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Gravel Wheelset Recommendations [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I ordered a set of HED Eroica/Emporia. Any specific tubeless valve stem that I should be using? Or any recommendation for a good one for a tubeless newbie?

Matt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am running Conti Terra Speed 40mm tubeless. They lost air faster than my previous set of 38mm Gravelking SK in the beginning, but after a few rides they hold air quite good. And they are seriously FAST :)

FWIW, they measure 38mm on my rim - the same as the 38mm Gravelking SK.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Chemist wrote:
I ordered a set of HED Eroica/Emporia. Any specific tubeless valve stem that I should be using? Or any recommendation for a good one for a tubeless newbie?

HED has its own. i'd be surprised if they don't include one for each wheel you buy.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Chemist wrote:

I am guessing that HED is using the same value extender for the Vanquish and the rest of the wheel line. It has a curved base like the Enve extender. I can kind of see why you would want that type of extender on a carbon rim. I really had to tighten the lock screw to get it to seal properly. I replaced it with a Stan's and I prefer that solution.
Quote Reply

Prev Next