Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Cervelo Caledonia [duncan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
duncan wrote:
Dan, in your long term review of the Cal5, you write that the base Ultegra DI2 model has a 36 x 30 lowest gear. However, it actually comes with an 11–34 cassette, just like the mechanical versions. I know, since I had my LBS swap it out for an 11–32 on my Ultegra/GRX mashup. Apart from that, I went for the regular Caledonia over the Cal5 for, well, all the reasons that you give.

One thing that I have not read in any of the Caledonia reviews is how freaking silent the bike is. My R5 race bike is like a rolling sound board; when accidentally hitting large potholes, the front end in particular can make terrifying "bang" sounds. In comparison, the Caledonia is quiet as a mouse, which I believe makes a big difference in the sense of smoothness and confidence it gives on rough surfaces. I can't help but think that Cervélo must have specifically worked on acoustic damping.

i guess i goofed on the gearing. i remember that one option was really limited, gearing-wise, and that's especially at the high end, in the Cal5. as in, maybe, 11-30 or something. and that defeats the purpose, in my opinion, of a bike that's built for it's specific use case, in areas where there are mountains or at least ascents or any consequence.

what we really need are mechanical versions of SRAM's current AXS drivetrains. we need a mechanical 1x 12sp 10-50, and we need mechanical 12sp 2x using SRAM's AXS cranks and wide range cassettes. basically, we need mechanical shifters and derailleurs that will cover those gearing ranges that AXS covers. a groupset like this on a caledonia frame (the affordable version) would just be killer. or, shimano mechanical groupsets that do this.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo Caledonia [sbjoe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sbjoe wrote:
Just got my Caledonia 5. Love it! super snappy and responsive along with being comfortable. It just seems to work. Running the stock 30c tires on it.

Did you need to do anything to hide the cables? I considered buying an Aspero, but didn't like the messy cabling.
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo Caledonia [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just snagged a rare find 105 Caledonia 51cm
and need more reach
for fitting purposes. I have
a 90 and need a 110. If no takers, I plan to sell
the stem and use a Zipp SL. I just reached out
to a shop that gave me a quote of $120 (Part # ST32)
but I am trying to confirm if this if for a Caledonia 5 only .
Ideally I would like to swap so I can use the accessory
attachments. Hoping someone is in a similar situation
that needs to size down. Any thoughts or
recommendations?
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo Caledonia [arteves] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
arteves wrote:
I just snagged a rare find 105 Caledonia 51cm
and need more reach
for fitting purposes. I have
a 90 and need a 110. If no takers, I plan to sell
the stem and use a Zipp SL. I just reached out
to a shop that gave me a quote of $120 (Part # ST32)
but I am trying to confirm if this if for a Caledonia 5 only .
Ideally I would like to swap so I can use the accessory
attachments. Hoping someone is in a similar situation
that needs to size down. Any thoughts or
recommendations?

afaik, ONLY the cal5 uses that proprietary stem of cervelo's, which is to say, it's the only caledonia. that stem will also be used in the aspero5.

i haven't seen the caledonia (non-5) in person, and i haven't seen the stem, but the point of that proprietary stem is that it accepts internally the hydraulic lines, and it has the gopro mounts for lights/head units/cams. i don't see why you can't use any old stem. maybe you can take a pic of the stem and post it here so that we can also see what the OE stem looks like? if you get the zipp stem you may also want to get the zipp faceplate with the wahoo/garmin puck and gopro mount. it's cool.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Below are the pics. Cervelo lists it as part CS027 and it's the same stem used
on the R-Series. It came with all the mounts pictured. If it is rebranded
it would be nice to know if its the front plate mount would work.

Last edited by: arteves: May 7, 21 13:44
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
arteves wrote:
Below are the pics. Cervelo lists it as part CS027 and it's the same stem used
on the R-Series. It came with all the mounts pictured. If it is rebranded it would be nice to know if its the front plate mount would work.

yep. that's the stem. cool stem. i didn't know that came on the non-5 caledonias. anyway, i don't suspect that stem must be used. as you'll see if you look at our front page on this, there are a number of cool mounting options: zipp's new faceplate, form mount, and of course cervelo's stem that you show here.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The ST32 (and ST31) are for the Caledonia-5. You can see the stem types identified in the assembly manual.

https://www.cervelo.com/...onia_manual_2020.pdf

Maybe I'm misreading your statement, but it sounds like the shop is mistakenly trying to sell you a Caledonia-5 stem for your Caledonia (non-5).

One thing to consider on the stem based out front mounts is how sturdy they are. I purchased the one for a bike with an Easton stem and it turned out to be flimsy. Does anyone have feedback on how stable the out front mount is from Cervelo?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
@slowman

For someone who wants to do 70% road, 30% gravel (mainly crushed paths or gravel/dirt roads - I assume I will do little true off roading, but then again, who knows), what’s the best option? Side note: my other bike is a Cervelo P3.

1. Aspero (potentially w/ separate set of road wheels and ride the stock wheels for gravel)
2. Caledonia

If your suggestion is Aspero, how is it with climbing paved roads with the stock tires? Slower than a regular set of road wheels?

I ordered an Aspero last fall (which has yet to come in) but now in questioning my decision as perhaps I am just caught up in the ‘gravel hype’ with everyone venturing that way. TIA.
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo Caledonia [daleks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
daleks wrote:
One thing to consider on the stem based out front mounts is how sturdy they are. I purchased the one for a bike with an Easton stem and it turned out to be flimsy. Does anyone have feedback on how stable the out front mount is from Cervelo?

Ours seem rock solid. We've had the Caledonias since September and no concerns with the out front mount at all.
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo Caledonia [ski_babie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ski_babie wrote:
@slowman

For someone who wants to do 70% road, 30% gravel (mainly crushed paths or gravel/dirt roads - I assume I will do little true off roading, but then again, who knows), what’s the best option? Side note: my other bike is a Cervelo P3.

1. Aspero (potentially w/ separate set of road wheels and ride the stock wheels for gravel)
2. Caledonia

If your suggestion is Aspero, how is it with climbing paved roads with the stock tires? Slower than a regular set of road wheels?

I ordered an Aspero last fall (which has yet to come in) but now in questioning my decision as perhaps I am just caught up in the ‘gravel hype’ with everyone venturing that way. TIA.

you ask a very good question. the bikes share a lot. i think it depends on the quality of the dirt and the quality of the rider. i would probably ride the caledonia and put 32mm road tires on there, if your dirt is what we called "rideable dirt" back in the days before gravel.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
ski_babie wrote:
@slowman

For someone who wants to do 70% road, 30% gravel (mainly crushed paths or gravel/dirt roads - I assume I will do little true off roading, but then again, who knows), what’s the best option?

2. Caledonia

you ask a very good question. the bikes share a lot. i think it depends on the quality of the dirt and the quality of the rider. i would probably ride the caledonia and put 32mm road tires on there, if your dirt is what we called "rideable dirt" back in the days before gravel.

I've been riding a Caledonia for half a year, and I agree with Dan. It is remarkably capable on unpaved surfaces,* while also being a fantastic road bike. Actually kind of blows my mind. FWIW even 35c Continental Terra Speeds fit comfortably.

*Half the hikers I encounter on forest paths look completely nonplussed to see someone on an apparent road bike hurtling past.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I agree with Dan.

If your gravel riding is rail-trails, forest paths and trails with that finer aggregate, and gravel/dirt roads in decent shape - the burlier Gravel Bikes are a bit of over-kill.

I have had some friends who have bought Aspero's hoping they would be that ONE bike for everything for them, with a change of wheels, and it's been a disappointment to them on the ROAD trying to ride it as a road bike. (Awesome on the gravel though).

The Caledonia from what I can tell going back and forth from 28mm to 32mm+ is the more true all rounder ONE bike if your gravel criteria is as I laid out above.

Last year was supposed to be New Bike Year for me and I wanted ONE bike to do it all for me. The Caledonia was on my short list. Unfortunately, with the Pandemic, I have lost all of my work and most of my income for at least a year - so New Bike Year will have to be some other time for me. But the Caledonia is still firmly on that short list of mine!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo Caledonia [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was one of those fortunate folks who actually found a Caledonia (105) in the colour and size of my choice a few months back, got lucky & also got a Zipp 303s for the back (front is coming in ? November).

I had the choice of tyre size and opted for 28s (Pirelli) so I wouldn't give anything away on the road and it does a fair (not great) job of most of the non pave that I throw at it.

Plan to use it for local crits, fondos, gravel races, and social rides (from winery to winery).

Hope to get some aerobars on it in a few months as well.

http://www.fitspeek.com the Fraser Valley's fitness, wellness, and endurance sports podcast
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo Caledonia [Chemist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a Caledonia 105 and am looking to upgrade the wheels from stock to either
Zipp 303S or Enve foundation 45's. Ideally I want one set of wheels I can run
on the Caledonia and a Cervelo P-Series). 303S have a wider inner rim
profile and I am wondering if 700x28 tubeless will fit. No issues on the
Caledonia I am sure but it could be tight on the P-Series. I am assuming the Enve's
have a better chance of fitting. Also I would need to know which 700x28 tubeless tire
has the best chance of fitting both bikes. Anyone happen to be running the same
use case.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have both wheelsets (but not for the same purpose as you). For you I would say the ENVE is the better choice. The 303S are light and wide, and will be super comfy for all-road type of application with 28-30mm tires, but they are decidedly not very aero. The ENVEs are a little heavier but definitely more aero and you can feel it. WRT tires, both rims are hookless, so I think the Schwalbe Pro-Ones are still your best bet.
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo Caledonia [dalava] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dalava - say it ain't so!

Seeing as my amount of off-roading is about 20%, and I will be doing crits, and fondos with the Caledonia, I'd be better off with the Enve Wheels? Do you know how they compare with the 303's? Reason I ask, is because I only have 1 303s right now (on the back) and I am waiting for the front one to arrive in November.

Thnx

http://www.fitspeek.com the Fraser Valley's fitness, wellness, and endurance sports podcast
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo Caledonia [Hydrosloth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hydrosloth wrote:
Dalava - say it ain't so!

Seeing as my amount of off-roading is about 20%, and I will be doing crits, and fondos with the Caledonia, I'd be better off with the Enve Wheels? Do you know how they compare with the 303's? Reason I ask, is because I only have 1 303s right now (on the back) and I am waiting for the front one to arrive in November.

Thnx

LOL... the 303s are awesome wheels for what you do, seriously. And that's pretty much what I used them for - you will spin them up fast in crit races and with some 30mm tires you won't feel beat up after the fondo. But they are just not very good for the P-Series for long course racing.
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo Caledonia [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:
I have had some friends who have bought Aspero's hoping they would be that ONE bike for everything for them, with a change of wheels, and it's been a disappointment to them on the ROAD trying to ride it as a road bike. (Awesome on the gravel though).

I'm curious to know in what way it was a disappointment. I mean, you need realistic expectations, an Aspero on the road is not going to be as light as an Aethos or as aero as a Madone, but with a nice set of road wheels and rubber it seems like a very capable road bike to me. I wasn't sure if it would replace my road bike but after a ride or two my older road bike (16.5 pound Calfee) hasn't been ridden since, I prefer the handling and much nicer ride of the Aspero on the road with 32C tires. And I've set some nice Strava PRs for me on the road this year even with that fat road rubber. I've got it around 16.9 pounds in road mode, not super weight weenie but plenty light for me, and don't feel it's holding me back. And running 42C tires in gravel mode (actually measure 45mm wide) I'm heading out and in one ride I'll hit pavement, gravel, and the less technical MTB trails.

I already had a very nice tri bike and a decent MTB. I really didn't need to buy two more bikes.
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo Caledonia [tttiltheend] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I really didn't need to buy two more bikes.

My comments on the Aspero were pass-alongs from friends who mentioned this too me. They loved it for the gravel but felt it lacked something on the road - but one bike CAN'T do it all at 100%, so there is going to be some trade-offs.

For you it sounds like it all works, and doing it all with one bike an a swap of wheels is awesome!

It's definitely the route I'm going once we get to the other side of this (I've lost a whole year of work/income in the pandemic), and bike supply get's back to normal. The Aspero is on my short list - with two sets of wheels.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply

Prev Next