Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Kona Cancelled, PTO Opportunity? [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Could make the TT interesting by adding:

Friday at noon - Athletes are drawn randomly, and as they are drawn they choose their start time for a Saturday race. Start times are at 5 minute intervals and fall between 7am-noon. Athletes could be looking at wind and heat, or their own preferred time of day. As the start times fill up, athletes could be looking at who is starting around them.

I dunno...

Munq
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Cancelled, PTO Opportunity? [Waingro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Waingro wrote:
Or for that matter, find some third world hell hole with a military dictatorship and, quarantine be damned, have it there.

Ahh. Somewhere in the red-voting centre of the USA you mean.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Cancelled, PTO Opportunity? [talbotcox] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It doesn't have to be in Kona in October. Do the copyrights prevent other races throughout the year? Isn't there an ultra or something in Kona later in the year?

I don't think the race needs to be in Kona, there are other options out there. This is an opportunity for the PTO to make a statement and become major players in this game. One has to think that Challenge and the PTO could work together to capitalize on this opportunity. Ironman has stated that they will not be holding a world championship, so does somebody want to step up to take this opportunity. Jan's Instagram post was pretty revealing yesterday, it said something along the lines of, "If there's a world championship, I'll be there." If you build it, they will come.

Team Zoot 2023
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Cancelled, PTO Opportunity? [aerobean] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You're mistaking this as an opportunity. As if Challenge isn't also navigating this storm. It helps that they're smaller, but they're also stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Cancelled, PTO Opportunity? [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Challenge has squandered more money with their failed Challenge America venture. This would be an investment that could really give them a shot at denting the Ironman brand and making themselves a name across the world in Triathlon. If Jan Frodeno becomes a world champion in Samorin, all of a sudden Samorin becomes a much more likely to be a bucket list race for AGers in the future.

Team Zoot 2023
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PTO won't grow if they try to put on a race, absent COVID considerations, in Kona - a location that is wholeheartedly attached to WTC and Ironman. What's the point?

For PTO, it's a matter of positioning and differentiation.

As an age-group triathlete, why should I affiliate with PTO partners and races over WTC?

Why is PTO different?

And why does that matter?
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Cancelled, PTO Opportunity? [talbotcox] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nov 1 is a Sunday.......

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Could this potentially end up like Novak Djokovic Adria tour ? There can be some damage to their brand if it does not go well and they bring the covid to Kona.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Cancelled, PTO Opportunity? [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
japarker24 wrote:
Nov 1 is a Sunday.......

I like the way you think.

Look at all the major sports, they are proceeding with precautionary measures. The PTO has an even easier opportunity because they don't have multiple games. A championship is a one off event. Get people in, get tested, isolate, race, get them out. Again, it doesn't have to be in Kona.

Team Zoot 2023
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Haha - triathletes are notoriously stingy and many pros are used to having rooms comped. A few extra people shopping at supermarkets won’t help the tourist economy much.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Cancelled, PTO Opportunity? [alfonzo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm guessing all of the houses they rent aren't comped and if they are it's by sponsors (so somebody who owns a house is getting a check) Lucy Charles isn't staying in the motel 6.

Team Zoot 2023
Quote Reply

Prev Next