Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Uh so we finally made our 40ft indoor pool functional
Quote | Reply
I’m an adult onset swimmer- very slow, still have tons of form to improve, lots of work to do on feeling relaxed with breathing...and our house we’ve had for six years has a 40 foot long pool. We JUST got it together to make the pool operational. I know I can just do 40 foot laps but it’s not like I possess a working flip turn and also that seems silly. By all means correct me if I’m wrong.

Swimoutlet was having a big summer sale (aren’t they always?) and along with fun stuff for the kids, I did get myself a snorkel, a band, a pull buoy, and a tether.

I am not making any assumptions about how productive I can be on my own in the pool- absent a coach or a video analysis.

But who can offer tidbits of advice, or a thing you wished someone had told you when you started attempting tethered workouts?

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by: YoMoGo: Jul 21, 20 17:53
Quote Reply
Re: Uh so we finally made our 40ft indoor pool functional [YoMoGo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trying again by jumping it up...anyone?
Quote Reply
Re: Uh so we finally made our 40ft indoor pool functional [YoMoGo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Has been recently discussed at length, do a forum search for most recent thread with great tips.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
YoMoGo wrote:
I’m an adult onset swimmer- very slow, still have tons of form to improve, lots of work to do on feeling relaxed with breathing...and our house we’ve had for six years has a 40 foot long pool. We JUST got it together to make the pool operational. I know I can just do 40 foot laps but it’s not like I possess a working flip turn and also that seems silly. By all means correct me if I’m wrong. a full year in a 50 ft pool so th
Swimoutlet was having a big summer sale (aren’t they always?) and along with fun stuff for the kids, I did get myself a snorkel, a band, a pull buoy, and a tether.
I am not making any assumptions about how productive I can be on my own in the pool- absent a coach or a video analysis.
But who can offer tidbits of advice, or a thing you wished someone had told you when you started attempting tethered workouts?
Thanks in advance.

Maybe it's just me but tethered swimming is just too boring and also it seems a bit unnatural. Despite only 40 ft, I would much rather just swim back and forth. I am a life-long swimmer and abso love the feel of the water sliding over my body as I move through it. At one point, I had to swim for a full year in a 50 ft pool so I think I could handle 40 ft. Look at it as an opportunity to develop a flip turn, with no one there to laugh at your attempts. Swim repeats of 1, 2, 4, 6, X lengths and extrapolate to the standard 50/100 yds. If you do 15, you'd be right at an even 200 yds. Swim w/ your pull buoy, work on your kicking both w/ and w/o a k-board, try to swim some of the other strokes. You could even buy your own pace clock, which you really need b/c you don't have anyone to race against, unless your wife and/or kids swim. Keep a log of your best times for 1, 2, 4, 6, 8, etc, lengths and try to improve your times. The pace clock is your best friend. :)

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Last edited by: ericmulk: Jul 23, 20 20:21
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How wide is the pool? If you don't want learn to flip turn, you might be able to swim in an oval. I do that in pools that aren't super long but are wide enough to make a sweeping turn. I actually prefer that, I find it gives me a pace more representative of open water. I swim around the outside of my 31 foot round pool too.
Quote Reply
Re: Uh so we finally made our 40ft indoor pool functional [offpiste.reese] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hmm. Good thought. It’s 40 ft long and 6 ft (7?) Guessing- need to actually measure it.

I know how to flip and where, but damn if that push off the wall has any real grace or aim, LOL —

Also, thanks for the link to the previous discussion, whoever posted that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I can flip turn too, but it's ugly and has no use in OWS, so I don't put any effort into making it better. I only swim when my personal pool is open, so it doesn't really matter.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Like another stated, do a search on this forum as there have been some lengthy discussions on this. That being said, I have a 40x20ft pool, and if I swim in it I mainly focus on drills, it's actually perfect for that. Have tried the tether a few times, but just hated it for many reasons and could never get past about 5 minutes. Work on your flip turns, watch some youtube videos. or just do a breaststroke-style turn. I actually prefer this when swimming in this pool, as a proper flip turn will put me 1/2 way down the pool. Do drills and drills with some light swimming between sets.
Quote Reply