Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Di2 markup on Speed Concept
Quote | Reply
I was looking at the cost for a optioned out SC, and I used the project one portal to build it up. When I added the di2 options, I couldn’t believe the added price. The SC comes with ultegra, but ultegra di2 adds 1400, and dura ace di2 adds 3000 dollars. Yes, I am aware of the regular cost of di2, and especially dura ace, drivetrains, but that number makes no sense. What am I missing?
Last edited by: Driva77: Jul 20, 20 12:58
Quote Reply
Re: Di2 markup on Speed Concept [Driva77] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't think you are missing anything. Pretty typical for bike manufacturers to have a big price bump for di2.

If you are comfortable doing it, it can often be more economical to buy the lowest end build possible, or just the frameset, and then build it up yourself.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That pricing looks spot on. I recently did a Di2 upgrade to my bike, and the electronic bits were about $1,500. It is pretty common for businesses to increase margin percent on premium options. So, I would expect mechanical Ultegra to have higher percent margin than 105, and Di2 Ultegra to have higher margin than mechanical, and finally DA Di2 to be much higher margin than Ultegra. So, only $1,400 seems like a pretty cheap incremental difference.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you are comfortable sourcing the Di2 parts and installing them yourself, then the most economical option is to buy the bike with mechanical and swap to Di2. You should be able to purchase everything you need for Ultegra Di2 for about $1500. You should be sell the mechanical groupset you took off for $400-$500. That brings the total cost of upgrading to Di2 to about $1000...plus your time.
Quote Reply
Re: Di2 markup on Speed Concept [Signal8] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I converted a mechanical trinity to di2. Couldn't get di2 version in the UK anyways but was pretty straight forward to do. If you can source the bits cheaper go for it. In my case I bought a complete groupset so I had a few bits to sell on after to recoup some money.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Like others have said, you can build a premium bike for much less than the list price. I pieced together a Trek Madome with Record EPS for about $5500. Top of the line bikes, the the new Shiv TT run $14,000. Three of those is a new Tesla
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Signal8 wrote:
If you are comfortable sourcing the Di2 parts and installing them yourself, then the most economical option is to buy the bike with mechanical and swap to Di2. You should be able to purchase everything you need for Ultegra Di2 for about $1500. You should be sell the mechanical groupset you took off for $400-$500. That brings the total cost of upgrading to Di2 to about $1000...plus your time.

Except on a Speed Concept, all you're replacing is a set of bar end shifters the pair of Ultegra mechanical derailleurs. If you can get $400-$500 for those take-offs, you're one hell of a salesman.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Quote Reply
Re: Di2 markup on Speed Concept [gary p] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gary p wrote:
Signal8 wrote:

Except on a Speed Concept, all you're replacing is a set of bar end shifters the pair of Ultegra mechanical derailleurs. If you can get $400-$500 for those take-offs, you're one hell of a salesman.

I assumed the non-Di2 brake levers would also be swapped out and included in the list of things to be sold. Let's assume shifting at the brake levers is not part of the Di2 upgrade in this case. Sure, you are not going to get more than about $250-$300 for the RD, FD and shifters. But, by leaving the non-Di2 brake levers on the bike, you have two less Di2 parts to buy, so you save that money on the other end.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Signal8 wrote:
gary p wrote:
Signal8 wrote:

I assumed the non-Di2 brake levers would also be swapped out and included in the list of things to be sold. Let's assume shifting at the brake levers is not part of the Di2 upgrade in this case. Sure, you are not going to get more than about $250-$300 for the RD, FD and shifters. But, by leaving the non-Di2 brake levers on the bike, you have two less Di2 parts to buy, so you save that money on the other end.

90 seconds of googling turned up sources to get the shifters, front derailleur, and rear derailleur new for ~$200. Trek aero brake levers are $129. If you got $300 for the lot, you'd be doing well.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Quote Reply