Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Cycling Insoles
Quote | Reply
Need to replace my 9 year old Specialized insoles as they have finally worn out on the corners and are causing a blood blister on my big toe. Interested to see if there have been any big developments in insoles in the last 9 years and particularly whether folks have seen any palpable benefits from the more high-end/expensive insoles. Based on a little research I am currently looking at Specialized, Bontrager and Solestar but am very open to other brands if folks have had good experiences. Solestar seems top shelf, but man, are they expensive. Worth it? Their ads and literature make it seem like they will add literally watts and make a major difference in power and comfort but I'd love to hear from any folks on ST who have used them and whether it was worth it. I currently have Lake cycling shoes, a fairly wide foot and high arch and am most interested in something that will be comfortable and help me avoid hot spots for 6-14 hour rides for some of the events I have coming up.
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling Insoles [jsmith] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Triathlon Taren was spruikung some insoles that gave an instant 10% increase in power... I think they were solestars. I think they come with free massage snake oil..
Last edited by: dunno: Jul 20, 20 3:38
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been considering the G8 inserts. I like their adjustability.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have been using G8s for 5+ years and like them. It’s the ability to adjust the amount of arch support that is great. It allowed me to experiment without having to buy a bunch of different ones insoles.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i use custom molded insoles in my running and cycling shoes. they make a world of difference.

the guy i use does the custom insoles as well as bike fitting. i dont know off the top of my head what the brand name is that he uses, but you stand on a big foam block of sorts on top of the insoles, insoles get heated up and he will press and form them to the bottoms of your feet.

if you can find something like that its prob more expensive than an off the shelf offering, but in my experience they make a world of difference in comfort.

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling Insoles [damon.lebeouf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a pair of G8 insoles I am looking to sell if anyone is interested, size medium.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think it is Sidas that makes custin heat-moldable insole for cycling, skiing, running... I get them made a my local ski shop that does custom ski boot insoles.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My podiatrist wants to make an orthotic for my ankle due to arthritis to move impact to the outside of my foot when I run. Has anyone gone that route? Or am I better off getting a custom insole and it would take care of the same. They want $250 and it isn't covered by insurance...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I replace the insoles in my cycling shoes with Superfeet inserts. Been using them for over 20 years, they work great and give good arch support.
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling Insoles [dunno] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dunno wrote:
Triathlon Taren was spruikung some insoles that gave an instant 10% increase in power... I think they were solestars. I think they come with free massage snake oil..

Yes, those are it--Team SKY & Ineos were sponsored by them. Apparently pretty decent vs the ones you get in the bike shops they try to upsell you on. Like the Specialized Bio-something. Which do help, but eventually wear out after no too many miles I felt. I may get some of these Solestars as well. I highly doubt 10% increase is even 1/10th of anything this side of realistic--but the increase in support may keep your fatigue down and offer a more stable platform within the shoe, making a longer term ride more comfortable. If you're spending $250 on Vaporflys for a handful of races, you may as well get some good insoles for bike shoes if you're spending so much time in the saddle.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've used various custom footbeds, orthotics, Specialized BG +++ insoles etc.... over the years. For the past 18 months I've been using the Solestar Black footbeds. All in all I've been very impressed with them. They really stabilize the forefoot which is one of their selling points. It's particularly noticeable when switching to another footbed. They are also very light and have stood up well to the 700-800 hours that I've used them so far. They are a bit pricey for an off the shelf product, but I will buy another pair. I only wish they had more arch support because I have extremely high arches.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a pair of the Solestar Blacks and like them quite a bit. I used them last season and had some of my best bike splits I’ve ever had. I didn’t measure my FTP the moment I put them in so I can’t give any specific data but will say that if you have some older shoes that you are putting them in, they will help because of their stiffness. The Carbon is extremely stiff which will give better power transfer. Cost wise, I didn’t think they were too bad. My fitter gave me a discount because I got them with a fitting and my shoes were specialized trivents that had some miles on them. (Unfortunately I bought some Specialized SWorks Trivent a couple months later. 🤦🏻‍♂️)

Team Zoot
Quote Reply