Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Plans for First Antarctic Triathlon [7continents] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
April Fools Day prank, or is this for real?

After suspending efforts for three years due to COVID, various travel restrictions, and difficulty getting the necessary environmental permits, it looks like the plans are finally in place for the first swim/bike/run triathlon competition in Antarctica.

Hosted in conjunction with the White Continent Marathon and associated running events, the target race date is January 22, 2024, depending on the weather conditions, with a travel window of January 20-28 from Punta Arenas, Chile. This will involve a jet flight across the Drake Passage to King George Island, Antarctica where the event will be held. Exact distances TBD, but the target is a Sprint distance race: 400m swim, 20km bike, and 5km run. Depending on the interest level and weather conditions, a SuperSprint Mixed Relay is another option under consideration.

For more details and registration information, see https://marathon-adventures.com/...ontinent-triathlont/

I'm also happy to answer questions here on the forum.

Registration is limited to 10 triathletes and 3 are committed so far, so sign up soon if you are interested.

If you've ever had the desire to complete a triathlon on all seven (or eight) continents, here's the opportunity to do Antarctica.

Although this is being posted on April 1, it is for real, seriously, no fooling.
Quote Reply
Re: Plans for First Antarctic Triathlon [FSEng_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FSEng_Tri wrote:
17 minutes. It was tough getting started.
Later in the season, i got used to the shock (cold water in the face), and stopped doing any kind of breast strokes.
The first minutes are crucial, as your body try hyperventilate.

I have come down to 2:05 min/100 m in sub 5 degrees water.

Try this page: https://internationaliceswimming.com/

"Iron IceMan".... I have a new bucket list item.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It looks like there are now 5 triathletes signed up for the first Antarctic Triathlon in January 2024, leaving 5 slots still open for those who have a great sense of adventure and don't mind cold water and cold weather.

Which brings up an interesting question that I'd like some input on, particularly from those who have cold weather triathlon experience or cold water open water swimming experience.

My thought, based on my own race experiences, was to do the swim last (bike/run/swim or run/bike/swim) so that immediately after getting out of the cold water (a degree or two above freezing) and crossing the finish line, one would head into a heated tent, get dry and get into warm clothing. Heading out on the bike or run after the swim (even with a change to dry clothes) doesn't sound very appealing (air temp would likely be in the mid to high 30s, and it could be windy). I've done the traditional order in cold weather races (but not as cold as Antarctica), and the bike and run felt even worse than the cold water swim! However, others feel that changing into dry clothes and then generating additional body heat through the bike/run would be better than finishing after the swim and then cooling down.

I'm open-minded and interested in serious persuasive comments on the "best" order for a swim/bike/run triathlon in extremely cold weather conditions.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Here's the link to more details on the race: https://marathon-adventures.com/...ontinent-triathlont/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, if it doesn't work out there's always trainspotting.
Quote Reply

Prev Next