Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

This Stages meter biting the dust?
Quote | Reply
I posted before about a low reading left only Stages meter I own. Verified it on a smart trainer.

Today, I think it may be done.

Today it thought it took me only 145w over a 70mi ride to go 19.5mph at 50 feet per mile on my road bike. No MF’ing way. Effectively screwing my TSS in the process.

It is also routinely swinging wild and always low for the ‘zero cal’ number now. No mech changes to bike.

Done? Toasty? New battery doesn’t help.
Quote Reply
Re: This Stages meter biting the dust? [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What generation? Could be a battery cap issue.
Quote Reply
Re: This Stages meter biting the dust? [AKCrafty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AKCrafty wrote:
What generation? Could be a battery cap issue.

Thanks.

Gen 2.

I have a spare cap they sent me for when I lost my cap off my meter on my cyclocross bike.

I currently use electric tape over the cover just to be safe.

Is there a ‘connection’ issue in the battery cap or something?

I will try out the spare cap I have.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There was a trick to bending the metal tab back to provide more force and better contact. Others have also stuffed material inside, but I think the situation was corrected for Gen 2.

Look at your data files and try to figure out if the low readings are due to loss of signal (lots of zeroes) or readings that are way off.

If it's the levels that are off after calibration it might be a debonding issue or the electronics are just kiboshed.

Stages are quite good about replacing faulty meters, even if out of warranty, or giving good deals on new meters. Definitely give them a call or file a query.
Quote Reply
Re: This Stages meter biting the dust? [carlosflanders] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I looked at the file and the power seems to correspond to the terrain properly (just low overall).

They say "+/- 50 from 890". This meter is routinely cal'd around 840, 843, 850. The Stages I have on the cross bike routinely cal's around 907 and seems more realistic.

Everybody always says "low". But, ain't no way I'm doing that route at that speed on 140's wattage. I'd guess it was closer to 165 or 170w instead of 145w AP.

So many options at good prices I'll just replace it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had the original Gen 1 Stages (left only) crank on my road bike that lasted nearly 5 years. I replaced it with the Gen 2 version which lasted a couple of days longer than the 1 year warranty. The Quarq power meter on my Tri Bike (about 7yo) gave out the same time as the 2nd Stages power meter. I've now switched to Faverio Assioma pedals which I switch between bikes. I saw funny readings in the last week of each of my power meters before they died.

Both of my Stages Power Meters reported high readings. Consistently at least 5% higher than what I have seen on the Quarq cranks, Faverio Assioma pedals and Tacx Neo smart trainer. Although the Faverio Assioma pedals do show that I am slightly more dominant on my left leg.
Quote Reply