Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Colorado Time Trial 7-18. Sam Long [thatzone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Colorado Time Trial 7-18. Sam Long [MI_Mumps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MI_Mumps wrote:
Any time I see Sam Long mentioned now I think of that PTO interview with Amberger and Appleton where one of them says Long “trains like Tarzan but races like Jane”

😂😂😂

It is sexist and probably not accurate, but really funny...

Does he have a coach?

Let food be thy medicine...
Quote Reply
Re: Colorado Time Trial 7-18. Sam Long [JackStraw13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ryan Bolton

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Colorado Time Trial 7-18. Sam Long [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dear lord over 100f or 41c is too hot. I've raced in 31°c and it was miserable. I couldn't do a slow pootle at those temperatures
Quote Reply
Re: Colorado Time Trial 7-18. Sam Long [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
grumpier.mike wrote:
thatzone wrote:
What was the temperature?

99 when I pulled into the parking lot 104 when I got back from my ride. Temps of 105 recorded on the course. It was horrible. Temperature management was probably the biggest factor in a good ride. I was great for the first 25K and crawled home.

Crawled home to a WIN! way to go Mike.

BoulderCyclingCoach.com
Quote Reply
Re: Colorado Time Trial 7-18. Sam Long [rockdude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rockdude wrote:
grumpier.mike wrote:
thatzone wrote:

99 when I pulled into the parking lot 104 when I got back from my ride. Temps of 105 recorded on the course. It was horrible. Temperature management was probably the biggest factor in a good ride. I was great for the first 25K and crawled home.

I bet there wasn’t a single person who negative split that race. Strata says I averaged 30 mph for the first 30k and mid 26 for the last 10. I was also down 40 watts compared to the first 20k.

After the race I told my wife I would retire from racing if I thought I would have to do that ever again. If there had been a patch of shade and a drink of water anywhere in those last 10k I would have stopped. I have raced on the big island before and that is miserably hot and humid, but Saturday was worse.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RowToTri wrote:

Here's Sam

well his number not being properly attached certainly cost him some portion of the 30s he lost by...
Quote Reply
Re: Colorado Time Trial 7-18. Sam Long [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
grumpier.mike wrote:
rockdude wrote:
grumpier.mike wrote:
thatzone wrote:

I bet there wasn’t a single person who negative split that race. Strata says I averaged 30 mph for the first 30k and mid 26 for the last 10. I was also down 40 watts compared to the first 20k.

After the race I told my wife I would retire from racing if I thought I would have to do that ever again. If there had been a patch of shade and a drink of water anywhere in those last 10k I would have stopped. I have raced on the big island before and that is miserably hot and humid, but Saturday was worse.

Did you win Cat3? Nice ride!

Since it's slightly downhill out, uphill on the way back so looking at power is probably better than speed. My coach, Eric Kenney had me drop my power target by 10 watts over a target I suggested that I already thought was conservative because of the heat and he turned out to be quite right. I stuck to the new target and I was only 2 watts lower on the second half from the first.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
InstagramFacebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This could have been one of those threads that was worthless without pics. You delivered big time with the pics!

Nice work & much appreciated!

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Colorado Time Trial 7-18. Sam Long [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sure thing!

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
InstagramFacebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RowToTri wrote:

Here's the winner, George Simpson

363W, 31.6mph, ~47:00 for a 40k.
https://www.strava.com/...8/analysis/1256/4077

Not a certified course? Because that should be a record.
Last edited by: rruff: Jul 20, 20 8:29
Quote Reply
Re: Colorado Time Trial 7-18. Sam Long [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Current is 47:35, for reference. https://usacycling.org/...rds/national-records

Very surprised that it's stood for 30 years.
Quote Reply
Re: Colorado Time Trial 7-18. Sam Long [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RowToTri wrote:

Here's the winner, George Simpson

How is that road surface? Pictures look like some gravel/stones on the road.
Quote Reply
Re: Colorado Time Trial 7-18. Sam Long [IanH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you were careful to follow the parts worn down by tires (often in the middle of the lane) it was pretty good. If you did not it was pretty bad in places with lots of sealed cracks and rough chip seal.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
InstagramFacebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
These times seem insanely fast, especially given the heat.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Re: Colorado Time Trial 7-18. Sam Long [ericlambi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think since the altitude is over 5,000 ft and the heat lowers the air density, you have conditions that make it hard to put out full power, but you also have less drag.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
InstagramFacebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Two questions:

(1) Any reason why two of the P-1-2 riders opted for no disc?

(2) IIRC, isn't around 5k feet the perfect balance between maximizing the speed gained from lower air density while minimizing the effect of our respiratory system? I think TrainerRoad had a podcast on this a while back.

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Re: Colorado Time Trial 7-18. Sam Long [cloy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cloy wrote:
Two questions:

(1) Any reason why two of the P-1-2 riders opted for no disc?

(2) IIRC, isn't around 5k feet the perfect balance between maximizing the speed gained from lower air density while minimizing the effect of our respiratory system? I think TrainerRoad had a podcast on this a while back.

(1) I do not know but my guess is they did not have access to one. I got a new disc brake TT bike in October and have not bought a disc disc yet. I asked Sam if I could borrow his but he selfishly wanted to use it himself.

(2) I'm not sure... Could be easy to calculate - somewhere there is a chart that shows power reduction at different altitudes acclimated and not. Then you could do a few aero calcs for different air densities with the different powers from that chart and see what situation is the fastest.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
InstagramFacebook
Quote Reply

Prev Next