Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Swapping tubeless for tubed tires [realest777] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
realest777 wrote:
offpiste.reese wrote:
I ran tubeless from 2010 until last year when I got a new bike and decided to run tubes again, mainly because I was feeling lazy. I never had a puncture I knew about in 9 years. I got my first flat last night from something that would've definitely been plugged by sealant in a tubeless setup, so I'm switching back to tubeless. If you're already set up, why switch?

The maintenance is annoying to me. Having to fill up per ride, or at least weekly. It is lazy, which is ironic giving the training. No other excuses :(

I agree about the more frequent maintenance with tubeless. Also . . . a few weeks ago, I had a flat with my tubeless tires. It was a tiny pinhole in the sidewall and, although it wasn't a sudden decompression, I had to go through three CO2 canisters to limp home. (Sealant doesn't do very well sealing sidewall punctures, even after you spin the tire on its side. Plus, I suspect the first CO2 canister froze the sealant and removed most if not all of its viability for the rest of the ride.)

The puncture was admittedly a freak thing. But I rode for a couple years without a puncture with tubed tires. I haven't gained any meaningful flat resistance by going tubeless.

I'm riding tubeless now because I'm too cheap to change yet. For one thing, the tires haven't worn out yet -- but they're close. And second, what would I do with the big bottles of sealant I've got on hand?
Quote Reply
Re: Swapping tubeless for tubed tires [FlashBazbo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Appreciate all of the info. I'm learning everyday regarding the setup(s) and my options. Running tubeless for now! Thanks again
Quote Reply

Prev Next