Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Chain questions
Quote | Reply
I have been reading the forum for a while this morning and am just confusing myself with various answers.

1) If moving from a 50/34 to a 52/36, do I need a new chain?

1) I have an Ultegra R8000 cassette, RD, FD, and will be using Praxis rings. Would a SRAM chain work?
Quote Reply
Re: Chain questions [JohnnyRocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Assuming it is long enough it should.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JohnnyRocket wrote:
I have been reading the forum for a while this morning and am just confusing myself with various answers.

1) If moving from a 50/34 to a 52/36, do I need a new chain?

Most Likely. Unless the chain was too long to start with it will be too short with the bigger rings

JohnnyRocket wrote:

1) I have an Ultegra R8000 cassette, RD, FD, and will be using Praxis rings. Would a SRAM chain work?

Any 11 speed chain designed for Shimano/SRAM group sets will work. Some better than others, but they are all compatible with each other. Campy will also work from what I've been told, but their design is slightly different (plate and pins are thinner). You are certainly safe with SRAM.

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
With your current setup, shift to the 50t front and your biggest cog in the back. How stretched is your rear derailleur? If you can't create any more slack on the chain by pushing the derailleur cage forward, then you will need a new chain if you switch to a 52t. More than likely, your RD isn't maxed out, and your chain will be long enough...but that's not a guarantee. The answer to your first question is "it depends"

A SRAM chain is compatible with shimano drivetrains, but shimano chains are better (in most peoples' opinion)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JohnnyRocket wrote:
Would a SRAM chain work?

Shimano chains are better, but Sram will "work".
Quote Reply
Re: Chain questions [rob_bell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rob_bell wrote:
With your current setup, shift to the 50t front and your biggest cog in the back. How stretched is your rear derailleur? If you can't create any more slack on the chain by pushing the derailleur cage forward, then you will need a new chain if you switch to a 52t. More than likely, your RD isn't maxed out, and your chain will be long enough...but that's not a guarantee. The answer to your first question is "it depends"

A SRAM chain is compatible with shimano drivetrains, but shimano chains are better (in most peoples' opinion)

This is the approach I would use.
Quote Reply
Re: Chain questions [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks all.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So I may be an idiot (this is most likely the case) or just uninitiated. But I shifted to big/big and there is for sure play in the RD. In fact, I can basically push it forward enough so that it is horizontal. I am sure this is not what was intended by the suggestion, so how far forward should the RD go before it is considered too much?

That being asked, chains are relatively cheap, so I will probably just get a new one...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You physically have enough chain on it so you don't rip off the rear derailleur/hanger.

If you shift to small/small is there still tension on the chain? Could you add another pair of links to it and still have tension?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You are fine, enjoy the new gearing. I put one of those on my touring bike last week with a 30 in the back and was able to ride up some pretty long steep hills in the saddle with two full paniers the back.
Quote Reply