Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

FKT etiquette on following trails
Quote | Reply
So probably I cannot come close to this FKT, but I'm gonna give it a go anyway. The Long's Peak Grand Slam is climbing Mt. Meeker, Long's Peak, Pagoda, Mt. Lady Washington and Storm all in one go. Long's is a 14'er and the highest peak in RMNP. The others are all 13'ers.

The guy who has the FKT (according to fastestknowntime.com) for this cut a lot of the trail from the trailhead out to Chasm lake and also on his way back. In total he cut about 2 miles off the length of the route. The trail goes exactly to where you want to go for this up to Chasm lake, then you are obliged to just scramble on rocks from there until the end when you get back to the trail.

https://www.strava.com/.../1797139370/overview

I would think that if there is a trail going where you want to go, you would need to follow it for it to count as an official FKT. I sent an email to the FKT folks a couple weeks ago asking if there are any rules about it (nothing written in the rules on the website). I would think in a National Park this would be especially important.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: FKT etiquette on following trails [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just started trail running/FKT hunting this year, so not exactly a veteran about rules/etiquette, but the impression I get is that the adventure element leaves some room to make the route your own, with few strict parameters. Good rule of thumb might be to practice common sense. If the description on the website is to summit these mountains, starting and finishing at the trailhead, it seems to be fair game. There are a few of these groups of summits around her (upstate NY), and these FKTs really seem to operate on an honors system. You could theoretically summit some mountains taking a chairlift, but that is quite blatantly out of the spirit of the competition. Blazing a different trail on foot seems legitimate to me.

Tim Russell, Pro Triathlete

Instagram- @timbikerun
Quote Reply
Re: FKT etiquette on following trails [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This doesn't help your situation exactly, since yours can be any track, but I recently made a strava segment for 20.5 miles of mountain bike trail so I can see who else has done it.

My point being is IF it is supposed to stay on a trail or road, don't assume it's too long to be made a strava segment to help manage the FKT efforts. The longest I've ever seen so far is about 70 miles, a bike climb in the Andes I think.

Once it's in Strava, people are pretty spectacular at picking the data apart to see if was a real effort or faked. Breaking a huge effort into multiple segments might help manage comparing efforts between people.

Anybody know what the max distance is for creating a segment? I can't find it anywhere.

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Last edited by: ZenTriBrett: Jul 17, 20 12:10
Quote Reply