Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: IM Florida and other late season IMs - what to do?? [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
I really don't understand what it takes for people to see the forest through the trees.

Compassion.

Or at least a lack of narcissism, which unfortunately is in bountiful supply in our triathlon community. The Influencer-Industrial Selfie Complex paparazzi are taking a huge mental health hit now that gyms and pools are closed.

E

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: IM Florida and other late season IMs - what to do?? [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not registered for IMFL, so it's doesn't affect me either way.

I'm on the side that says the race will more likely to go on than not. I based this on FL politics and how they have responded so far. When most places were locked down, they were partying at the beach. If the mentality of state/local govt and local folks are like that, why would one think that IMFL doesn't have support to continue with the race? The FL panhandle high majority Trump republicans. Record covid deaths haven't caused them to go full shutdown mode now. What makes you think they will go full on mode in November? That would be like asking politicians to admit that they were wrong.

The GMAN wrote:
Florida is currently setting records for COVID deaths and hospitalizations so it's cute that some of you STILL think there's going to be IM racing in FL this year.
Hell, I'm registered for Gulf Coast 70.3 (deferral) for next May and I don't have much confidence that's going to happen, let alone a race in three and a half months.

I really don't understand what it takes for people to see the forest through the trees.

Quote | Reply
Quote:
I don't have any idea if this stuff works or not, but I do know that the studies on this drug has been all over the place.

It doesn't! The FDA pulled EUA. They reviewed and summarized all the data. The recommendations are against use for COVID. If a practitioner wants to prescribe Hydroxycholoroquine for COVID they will be putting patients at risk for no benefit and opening themselves up to malpractice. There still are legitimate benefits for use in other diseases but off label use of Hydroxycholoroquine would be malpractice based on current data. That's straight from the FDA and WHO.

https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/...May2020_Redacted.pdf

https://www.strava.com/athletes/23685202
Last edited by: TriRugby: Jul 23, 20 10:59
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
Florida is currently setting records for COVID deaths and hospitalizations so it's cute that some of you STILL think there's going to be IM racing in FL this year.

Hell, I'm registered for Gulf Coast 70.3 (deferral) for next May and I don't have much confidence that's going to happen, let alone a race in three and a half months.

Cite your source. Their hospital stays have been shorter and their definitely not setting records for deaths. New York set that BAR very high.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Florida and other late season IMs - what to do?? [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Records for Florida. Pretty sure that was easy enough to comprehend but I guess not. 🙄

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: IM Florida and other late season IMs - what to do?? [mlyonsdc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mlyonsdc wrote:

I am still holding out hope for IMNC Oct 17th .........

As an NC resident, I can go ahead & tell you that race will not happen. If Wilmington city, New Hanover county & IM officials deem it OK to race, Gov Cooper will not agree. He'll send in the National Guard to stop the race if he has to.

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Florida and other late season IMs - what to do?? [TriRugby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriRugby wrote:
It doesn't! The FDA pulled EUA. They reviewed and summarized all the data. The recommendations are against use for COVID. If a practitioner wants to prescribe Hydroxycholoroquine for COVID they will be putting patients at risk for no benefit and opening themselves up to malpractice. There still are legitimate benefits for use in other diseases but off label use of Hydroxycholoroquine would be malpractice based on current data. That's straight from the FDA and WHO.

You should definitely let this guy know . . . https://www.newsweek.com/...g-it-opinion-1519535

As it relates to the topic, I'm registered for IMAZ. I'm not doing, or planning to begin, any Ironman prep. I will just continue to b+r ~10hrs/wk for fun and fitness with some occasional swim/vasa as I can stomach it. Should be easy to swap to specific Ironman prep if something positive related to covid happens and the race feels like a go. From my perspective the bad scenario isn't that there's no race, it's that the covid situation does not improve but they manage to push the event through anyway. Really I'm just hoping the rollover options are good (IMLP please!).

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Re: IM Florida and other late season IMs - what to do?? [alfaholic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
alfaholic wrote:
cantswim24 wrote:
alfaholic wrote:
TriRugby wrote:
You DON'T want Hydroxychloroquine! Trust me on that. It caused more problems than it helped. There also is not one health care professional in this country that would prescribe it at this point. The EUA was pulled because the data on efficacy was absolute garbage and the adverse event profile with QT prolongation (especially with co-administration of Azith) was horrible.

https://www.nbcnews.com/...ne-covid-19-n1231076

Professor Harvey Risch, M.D., Ph.D., researcher at the Yale School of Public Health disagrees with your assessment.
https://medicine.yale.edu/news-article/25085/

Thanks

I wouldnt look at just one study or quote to get your medical advice.. this is from the bbc...

But despite some early studies raising hopes, one subsequent larger scale trial has shown it's not effective as a treatment.
The World Health Organization (WHO) has halted its trials, saying that the drug doesn't reduce death rates in patients with coronavirus.
What is hydroxychloroquine for?
Hydroxychloroquine has long been used to treat malaria as well as other conditions such as lupus and arthritis.
It's used to reduce fever and inflammation, and the hope has been that it can also inhibit the virus that causes Covid-19.
Some early studies showed that it may be able to shorten the duration of symptoms experienced by coronavirus patients, while others indicated it had no positive effect at all.

Okay, how about this study.
https://www.detroitnews.com/...ath-rate/5365090002/
I don't have any idea if this stuff works or not, but I do know that the studies on this drug has been all over the place.

no offense but did you read all of this article at the bottom it says..

Doctors at Michigan Medicine, the University of Michigan's health system, remain steadfast in their decision not to use hydroxychloroquine on coronavirus patients, which they stopped using in mid-March after their own early tracking of the treatment found little benefit to patients with some serious side effects.
Michigan's largest system of hospitals, Southfield-based Beaumont Health, also stopped using the decades-old anti-malarial drug as a coronavirus treatment after deciding it was ineffective.
St. Joseph Mercy health system has also backed away from the treatment. The system has St. Joseph hospitals in Ann Arbor, Chelsea, Howell, Livonia and Pontiac, as well as the Mercy Health hospitals in Grand Rapids, Muskegon and Shelby.
Heidi Pillen, director of pharmacy at Beaumont Health, confirmed on Thursday that the health system is not using hydroxychloroquine to treat COVID-19 patients.
A recent United Kingdom study evaluating hydroxychloroquine in hospitalized patients with coronavirus was stopped after preliminary analysis found it didn’t have any benefit. About 26% of patients in the trial using the drug died, compared with about 24% receiving the usual care, according to the Oxford University study.

at best the evidence is mixed to say the least and in such cases its best to keep away in my humble opinion
Quote Reply
Re: IM Florida and other late season IMs - what to do?? [zoom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Considering Disney runs the state of Florida; they just cancelled their Wine & Dine running events which are usually the same weekend as IMFL. With that decision, I am not sure how the state would allow broke ol' IRONMAN to run their event.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Florida and other late season IMs - what to do?? [cantswim24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, I read the whole article. I'm not an advocate for hydroxychloroquine. I was just pointing out that the studies are mixed to TriRugby's declarative statement, though I think the majority of studies don't support using it. It needs to be acknowledge that there are still competent doctors and researches that find it might have a place in treating some patients.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Florida and other late season IMs - what to do?? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trump just canceled the Jax component of the RNC.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: IM Florida and other late season IMs - what to do?? [TriRugby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriRugby wrote:
Quote:
That's straight from the FDA and WHO.

I get a kick out of supposedly intelligent people who seem to actually trust anything the FDA and W.H.O. have to say.
Kinda like 30 year olds who still believe in the Easter bunny.

Have any of you anti-HCQ hyperventilators had any real dealing with Covid/ChinesePox?
Like, actually had it or have a family member with it, or are you just believing whatever NBC, BBC, or WHO has to say?

My 81yo mother is alive because of it, like night & day.

But who am I supposed to believe, you geniuses or my own lying eyes?

-bobo

"What's good for me ain't necessarily good for the weak-minded."
Quote Reply
Re: IM Florida and other late season IMs - what to do?? [bobo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A lot of folks see Elvis walking down Las Vegas Blvd. I guess those folks should believe their own eyes that Elvis is still alive.

Or, if given the choice, are we saying that people should believe your own n=1 eyes over the FDA and WHO? :)

bobo wrote:
TriRugby wrote:
Quote:
That's straight from the FDA and WHO.

I get a kick out of supposedly intelligent people who seem to actually trust anything the FDA and W.H.O. have to say.
Kinda like 30 year olds who still believe in the Easter bunny.

Have any of you anti-HCQ hyperventilators had any real dealing with Covid/ChinesePox?
Like, actually had it or have a family member with it, or are you just believing whatever NBC, BBC, or WHO has to say?

My 81yo mother is alive because of it, like night & day.

But who am I supposed to believe, you geniuses or my own lying eyes?

-bobo

Quote | Reply
Hmmmmmm.....

My N-1 vs. bureaucrats....

That's a real tough one isn't it?

Wow...I'm stuck now...

You're beyond ideology.

It's more like idiotology...

Good luck with that. You'll need it.

-bobo

"What's good for me ain't necessarily good for the weak-minded."
Quote Reply
Re: IM Florida and other late season IMs - what to do?? [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Saw that Maryland is canceled. I have not officially completed my registration yet from a previous deferral. For those that are officially registered, did you receive an email with new deferral options?
Quote Reply
Re: IM Florida and other late season IMs - what to do?? [urbansombrero] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Negative. Mine was a reschedule as well from IMTX.
Since it is currently just a "postponed" I'm eager to see what kind of creative reschedule choices the are going to offer...
Quote Reply
Re: IM Florida and other late season IMs - what to do?? [Lock_N_Load] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lock_N_Load wrote:
And if you think that closing down the economy every time we face a situation like this makes any sense whatsoever then you are insane.

My understanding is that studies following the 1918 influenza pandemic showed that places that opened up early suffered greater economic impact in the long term as the 'tail' drags on for longer. Places that dealt with it and opened up more cautiously did better, again, in the long term.

There is an assumption that the choice is between being open vs being safe. In practice I don't think it's that simple. I think some degree of closures is inevitable. The sane response, as in most things, will be a balance.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Florida and other late season IMs - what to do?? [cantswim24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So here's an additional perspective and something anyone facing treatment for themselves or a loved one needs to very carefully consider, and have an in-depth discussion with their medical provider.

First-my credentials- give you a baseline for evaluating anything I say-multiple degrees, but my Ph.D is in Clinical Psychology, and my specialty within Clin Psy is Psychoneuroimmunology. Essentially, stress and immune system response, specifically, systemic inflammation and the psychological/physiological effects, especially with PTSD and Chronic Pain. Very apropos for COVID, as there is a pronounced inflammatory response.

Second- Previous poster noted this article: " Professor Harvey Risch, M.D., Ph.D., researcher at the Yale School of Public Health disagrees with your assessment.
https://medicine.yale.edu/news-article/25085/[/url]." Good article, and Dr. Risch notes that the Hydroxychloroquine/AZ/Zinc combination showed efficacy for the COLD symptoms typically seen in the early stages of COVID infection. It was NOT seen as effective for the pneumonia sxs typically seen in the later stages. Good point, important to remember. Also note this combo has been used for years treating Rheumatoid Arthritis, which is associated with systemic inflammation.

So, understand that COVID as a disease entity is multi-stage, with likely differing treatments appropriate for different stages, with the goal of slowing or preventing progression from early stages to later stages with life-threatening consequences.

Lastly- important to get a grasp on this- nomothetic vs idiographic. Nomothetic is the population, idiographic is the individual. Large studies discuss their results in how the treatment affected the majority of those tested. They may label something as "lacking significant results' just because it didn't work well for the majority. Doesn't mean it didn't work- It may have been a miracle treatment for a few. Each of us metabolizes meds differently, differing genetics, differing current health issues, etc.

Summary- Get the best medical advice you can from a provider that knows you, and make the best decisions you can. Think your way through this stuff; use the research as a guideline, not a definitive do or don't. Prepare yourself in case you or someone you love contracts COVID so you don't have to make a decision in a hurry with a provider you don't know and who doesn't know. you.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Florida and other late season IMs - what to do?? [runnerak47] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Still training for IMFL

Is GulfCoast 70.3 being held November 7 in conjunction with IMFL still a thing or is that old news?
Quote Reply
Re: IM Florida and other late season IMs - what to do?? [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
japarker24 wrote:
You & HuffNPuff must be living on Mars. Even if IM SG or IMFL happen, anyone who shows up is an idiot. Take it for what it is worth since I'm waiting for my covid results since I was exposed through no fault of my own.

If you re-read my post, I was very clear that IM Florida would happen, not that it should happen. Fast forward four months and about every other post on my facebook feed today is from athletes getting ready for tomorrow's Ironman Florida. Apparently the view of what's likely to happen on earth is pretty good from Mars.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Florida and other late season IMs - what to do?? [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
japarker24 wrote:
You & HuffNPuff must be living on Mars. Even if IM SG or IMFL happen, anyone who shows up is an idiot. Take it for what it is worth since I'm waiting for my covid results since I was exposed through no fault of my own.

If you re-read my post, I was very clear that IM Florida would happen, not that it should happen. Fast forward four months and about every other post on my facebook feed today is from athletes getting ready for tomorrow's Ironman Florida. Apparently the view of what's likely to happen on earth is pretty good from Mars.

I may have had too much to drink when I made that post.......

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply

Prev Next