Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Would you buy a used Wahoo Kickr Core?
Quote | Reply
I have the option to buy a 10-month old Kickr Core for good deal. However, I have heard that the Kickr '18 and the Core had some reliability issues. The Kickr in question seems to be working fine. Would you guys buy an out-of-warranty Kickr Core, why or why not?

------------------
http://dontletitdefeatyou.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Would you buy a used Wahoo Kickr Core? [Lock_N_Load] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think the kickrs only come with 1 year warranty anyway?
If you know it is working well and the deal is really good, I'd go for it, especially if its from someone you trust and will take it back if it shows up DOA.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In the EU the warranty is two years and yes I would buy one used, but if its close the price of a new one....then just go new (of course). I would not have an issue with it if the person has a good reputation.

"see the world as it is not as you want it to be"
Quote Reply
Re: Would you buy a used Wahoo Kickr Core? [TizzleDK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lookup the info DCRainmaker had up about Kickrs and Cores. There is apparently an important serial number date split that occurred sometime in Fall 2019. They apparently made some changes to address issues.

I specifically checked the s/n on mine before buying on sale at our local REI before all the Covid shutdowns.

I assume the used one you are after is made before Fall 2019. The fixes are already documented though.
Quote Reply
Re: Would you buy a used Wahoo Kickr Core? [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:
Lookup the info DCRainmaker had up about Kickrs and Cores. There is apparently an important serial number date split that occurred sometime in Fall 2019. They apparently made some changes to address issues.

I specifically checked the s/n on mine before buying on sale at our local REI before all the Covid shutdowns.

I assume the used one you are after is made before Fall 2019. The fixes are already documented though.

Thanks for the heads ups on this. Extremely helpful.

------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Also, not sure what other issues there are but I got one of the earlier Core models and the only issue I had was a clicking noise. They were great about either having me return it for a new one or fixing it myself and getting a $100 gift card. I took the gift card and the fix took 10 minutes. I sold my core in February to someone on this site but it was working perfectly when I sold it. If you have a crank/pedal power meter any wonky wattage readings won't really matter since I always had my Quarq as the power source.

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Would you buy a used Wahoo Kickr Core? [jrielley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jrielley wrote:
Also, not sure what other issues there are but I got one of the earlier Core models and the only issue I had was a clicking noise. They were great about either having me return it for a new one or fixing it myself and getting a $100 gift card. I took the gift card and the fix took 10 minutes. I sold my core in February to someone on this site but it was working perfectly when I sold it. If you have a crank/pedal power meter any wonky wattage readings won't really matter since I always had my Quarq as the power source.

Great point. I have my own power meter as well. I imagine that the Kickr is not communicating Speed and Power. Does it just communicate Power to Zwift and then Zwift turns it to speed or is there a speed sensor that is sent to Zwift to calculate speed separately? If power determines speed in Zwift then the Kickr Speed/Power issue with ESD should not put me dead in the water.

------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lock_N_Load wrote:
jrielley wrote:

Great point. I have my own power meter as well. I imagine that the Kickr is not communicating Speed and Power. Does it just communicate Power to Zwift and then Zwift turns it to speed or is there a speed sensor that is sent to Zwift to calculate speed separately? If power determines speed in Zwift then the Kickr Speed/Power issue with ESD should not put me dead in the water.

Zwift controls the trainer and does speed based on power I believe. Never had a speed sensor or anything ever so you will be set with the Core and power meter.

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Would you buy a used Wahoo Kickr Core? [jrielley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have had my kickr core for over a year and have not had any issues. I'd say go for it!
Quote Reply
Re: Would you buy a used Wahoo Kickr Core? [aeons] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm on Kickr number 3, the first 2 were replaced under warranty, got a few friends in the same boat, some with warranty, some without.. I wouldn't buy a 2nd hand one and I wouldn't recommend buying a new one to be honest. Pretty unreliable for an expensive bit of kit.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by trener1 [ In reply to ]
Re: Would you buy a used Wahoo Kickr Core? [trener1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's in the comments here about the build dates and serial #'s. It's not in the article, DC steps into the comments also a few times to talk through stuff.

Also, my Core has the newer s/n and most recent firmware with cadence. The cadence I would say works "ok". IMO. Sometimes it reads a bit low for cadence versus reality and versus comparing to a bike powermeter.

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/...inter-2019-2020.html
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There have been too many issues for me to buy one. I own a Kickr18 and it is my 4th one due to issues, all replaced by Wahoo. Some replacements were bad out of the box. I would say if the price was in the $200-300 range and I knew the person, possibly. If not, my recommendation is to stay away.
Quote Reply