Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Smiley Triathlon Canceled - Here's how we handled it
Quote | Reply
We started a triathlon last year that was featured on the front page of Slowtwitch (article here: https://www.slowtwitch.com/..._Them_All__7379.html ). It was devastating to me to have to cancel, but of course there was no choice. I used a lot of feedback I got here on producing a race with the best athlete experience possible. So, I thought I'd share how we handled it, and of course solicit feedback and suggestions. http://www.SmileySprintTri.com See:

Video here (I can't figure out have to embed the video):
https://www.youtube.com/...amp;feature=emb_logo

Dear Smiley Family,

Our primary goal and mission is to give all athletes (world class or newbie) the best possible race experience. It is with great regret and a heavy heart that we have had to make the difficult decision that it is not possible to deliver on that promise this year. We simply cannot and must not expose our athletes, volunteers, sponsors, spectators, emergency services, and venue hosts to the health risks that continue to be present in our community.

We are all deeply saddened by this decision and please know that this is the most difficult decision we have had to make regarding this great event. Additionally, respecting current local restrictions (which include local authorities not issuing permits for large events), state restrictions, and federal recommendations, producing our event would not be possible and this is the only responsible choice. The health and physical wellbeing of the athletes and our community is at the heart of every decision we make.

As you know, we are a small independent local race. Unlike many race organizations we do not have outside investors or funding, other than ourselves and our local sponsors. Contrary to the policies of other race organizers and although the registration information states no reimbursements or refunds, we will do so upon request. However, please know that we have already made advanced payments for this race and reimbursements will cause us financial harm.

Accordingly, we would ask that you PLEASE allow us to automatically move your registration to July 25, 2021. In return for your loyalty we will also give you a complimentary entry into our race in 2022 (good for all athletes who register prior to July 30, 2020). We guarantee our commitment in 2021 to provide you with the very best race experience.

We are also pleased to announce that our group will also be producing the 18th edition of the Nationally acclaimed Kids for Kids Triathlon. This race is truly a legend in our community. It will also be held in the Clemmons West community on July 24, 2021 and will be combined with the Smiley Sprint Triathlon for a triathlon festival weekend (Kids on Saturday and Smiley on Sunday). For sponsors who have already committed for Smiley 2020, we will carry you over for BOTH events in 2021.

Please stay tuned as we evolve toward our 2021 race where we intend to enhance the athlete experience in every way possible. Additionally, we will have exciting announcements for adults who volunteer at the Kid’s Race, and for Kids over 10 who do the “Smiley Double” by racing both days. YOU will want to be part of the Triad’s first ever triathlon festival weekend!! More to come!

Thank you for your continued encouragement and support. On August 1, 2020 we will automatically roll your registration forward for 2021 AND 2022 unless we hear otherwise.

With great affection and appreciation,
Jade Costen
David Daggett
Benji Jones

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Last edited by: david: Jul 16, 20 6:19
Quote Reply
Re: Smiley Triathlon Canceled - Here's how we handled it [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
david wrote:
We started a triathlon last year that was featured on the front page of Slowtwitch (article here: https://www.slowtwitch.com/..._Them_All__7379.html ). It was devastating to me to have to cancel, but of course there was no choice. I used a lot of feedback I got here on producing a race with the best athlete experience possible. So, I thought I'd share how we handled it, and of course solicit feedback and suggestions. http://www.SmileySprintTri.com See:

Video here (I can't figure out have to embed the video):
https://www.youtube.com/...amp;feature=emb_logo

Dear Smiley Family,

Our primary goal and mission is to give all athletes (world class or newbie) the best possible race experience. It is with great regret and a heavy heart that we have had to make the difficult decision that it is not possible to deliver on that promise this year. We simply cannot and must not expose our athletes, volunteers, sponsors, spectators, emergency services, and venue hosts to the health risks that continue to be present in our community.

We are all deeply saddened by this decision and please know that this is the most difficult decision we have had to make regarding this great event. Additionally, respecting current local restrictions (which include local authorities not issuing permits for large events), state restrictions, and federal recommendations, producing our event would not be possible and this is the only responsible choice. The health and physical wellbeing of the athletes and our community is at the heart of every decision we make.

As you know, we are a small independent local race. Unlike many race organizations we do not have outside investors or funding, other than ourselves and our local sponsors. Contrary to the policies of other race organizers and although the registration information states no reimbursements or refunds, we will do so upon request. However, please know that we have already made advanced payments for this race and reimbursements will cause us financial harm.

Accordingly, we would ask that you PLEASE allow us to automatically move your registration to July 25, 2021. In return for your loyalty we will also give you a complimentary entry into our race in 2022 (good for all athletes who register prior to July 30, 2020). We guarantee our commitment in 2021 to provide you with the very best race experience.

We are also pleased to announce that our group will also be producing the 18th edition of the Nationally acclaimed Kids for Kids Triathlon. This race is truly a legend in our community. It will also be held in the Clemmons West community on July 24, 2021 and will be combined with the Smiley Sprint Triathlon for a triathlon festival weekend (Kids on Saturday and Smiley on Sunday). For sponsors who have already committed for Smiley 2020, we will carry you over for BOTH events in 2021.

Please stay tuned as we evolve toward our 2021 race where we intend to enhance the athlete experience in every way possible. Additionally, we will have exciting announcements for adults who volunteer at the Kid’s Race, and for Kids over 10 who do the “Smiley Double” by racing both days. YOU will want to be part of the Triad’s first ever triathlon festival weekend!! More to come!

Thank you for your continued encouragement and support. On August 1, 2020 we will automatically roll your registration forward for 2021 AND 2022 unless we hear otherwise.

With great affection and appreciation,
Jade Costen
David Daggett
Benji Jones

this is exactly what i would expect from you, david. in fact, after reading this i just signed up for the race. if the stars align i'll see you next year ;-)

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Smiley Triathlon Canceled - Here's how we handled it [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Above and beyond. I thought the event I had been involved with did well with 100% refund including the online fees.
I hope when this is all over some love for local events that have provided very fair cancellation resolutions is recognized.
Quote Reply
Re: Smiley Triathlon Canceled - Here's how we handled it [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AWESOME!! Let me know what I can do to help you . . . I promise an experience second to none!

PS - we are in the same age group :-)!

David
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Last edited by: david: Jul 16, 20 7:18
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well done. That’s what I would want to hear from any race director.
Quote Reply
Re: Smiley Triathlon Canceled - Here's how we handled it [Mrnchk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree.
Quote Reply
Re: Smiley Triathlon Canceled - Here's how we handled it [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This an unexpected turn of events - I love it. I grew up in that area so with Slowman coming and making this a celebrity race - I’m coming too! I just registered and will register my kids for the kids race when that registration is available.

All of us on this board have a “Smiley” in our lives - someone in fitness who inspires you to be a better version of yourself. He was a great person and I look forward to doing this race.

Regards,
-Doug

It is the mind itself which builds the body.
-Joseph Pilates
Quote Reply
Re: Smiley Triathlon Canceled - Here's how we handled it [DougEFresh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Doug,

We look forward to having you. I will need some "rest" after our Triathlon Festival Weekend so let me know if you want to stay over a few days and do some SwimRunNC re-con.

Thanks,

David
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks David! I haven't done a snake / pool swim since 2010!

It is the mind itself which builds the body.
-Joseph Pilates
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
david wrote:

That's a really solid way of doing things. I've run (at least one?) Jones race before and really enjoyed it. If I was still on that side of the country, I'd happily sign up. Deferrals aren't always fun, but if it's between a deferral that allows a race to continue at some point in the future vs a short-term refund for me that kills the race, deferrals are my pick every day. That 2022 entry is a really solid gesture.

JustinDoesTriathlon

Owner, FuelRodz Endurance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I registered well back for the 2020 edition, and my understanding was that I have to do nothing to be moved to 2021. Also, I will gladly pay for the 2022 entry
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just registered! I really enjoyed the inaugural race last year! I hope by signing up now, I get in the first rotation of swimmers......messed up last year & registered too late and had to wait for my slot in the 2nd round of swimmers.

Need to get a group photo of ST'ers on race day (following protocols of course!)

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I though I'd provide an update. Recall that we offered refund/reimbursement when we had to cancel our race even though our waiver said we didn't have to. We only had one request for a refund - they were a student and moving across country. ASTOUNDINGLY we had a 50% increase in registrations AFTER we had to cancel the race! We can't wait to give everyone a Championship experience next year!

David
Last edited by: david: Aug 1, 20 10:27
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great to hear.
Pity I'm on a different continent otherwise I'd also be in !

I really hope people see this kind of great race organiser behaviour, and support organisers like this accordingly in future years.

Certainly my experience this year in the UK is the small and medium races (those who can actually least afford to lose money or cash flow) have provided the best customer care - whilst the big guns seem to not do (and in the case of the Velo Birmingham sportive, a huge closed road event assisted by the city, pretty much treated entrants (and City council) with contempt).
I've deferred my cancelled events and for the 1 swim event still looking like it's on in 2020, a few of us are going up the day before to volunteer on the set up as I want independent races like these to be around in the future.
Quote Reply
Re: Smiley Triathlon Canceled - Here's how we handled it [BobAjobb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank for volunteering . . . that is very important to race organizers. We try to show our appreciation, but I fear we don't do enough.

How are things in UK?

David
Quote Reply