Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: why are unsanctioned races not sprouting up everywhere right now? [Mark Lemmon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mark Lemmon wrote:
jflan wrote:
younger athletes who never experienced the roots of tri vibe and are used to doing highly-produced events aren't very motivated to create or find small, local unsanctioned races, at least tris?

I've seen a lot of this attitude on this site, and I would have to say at least in my experience I don't believe this to be true. While I'm sure most of the younger one and done types are not interested, I'm seeing a ton of people put on their own endurance challenges/ events (sometimes tri, sometimes not), and it isn't being blasted around social media. People seem to really be enjoying these type of events, and at least in my small view of the world aren't really missing the mega production events. I think if anything people are being reminded of just how good local events are, and this time will help preserve that original spirit of tri. I was catching up with a friend about some dumb race he did among local friends around a park (on strava even!) and it reminded him of goofing around the neighborhood with friends and seeing who could jump across the widest part of a brook. Outside of maybe an IG story none of this was really public on social media, just friends slapping something together. IMO this can be good for the sport, and I think we'll actually see more longevity in the sport after this.
Quote Reply
Re: why are unsanctioned races not sprouting up everywhere right now? [FishOutofWater] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FishOutofWater wrote:
Mark Lemmon wrote:
younger athletes who never experienced the roots of tri vibe and are used to doing highly-produced events aren't very motivated to create or find small, local unsanctioned races, at least tris?

I've seen a lot of this attitude on this site, and I would have to say at least in my experience I don't believe this to be true. While I'm sure most of the younger one and done types are not interested, I'm seeing a ton of people put on their own endurance challenges/ events (sometimes tri, sometimes not), and it isn't being blasted around social media. People seem to really be enjoying these type of events, and at least in my small view of the world aren't really missing the mega production events. I think if anything people are being reminded of just how good local events are, and this time will help preserve that original spirit of tri. I was catching up with a friend about some dumb race he did among local friends around a park (on strava even!) and it reminded him of goofing around the neighborhood with friends and seeing who could jump across the widest part of a brook. Outside of maybe an IG story none of this was really public on social media, just friends slapping something together. IMO this can be good for the sport, and I think we'll actually see more longevity in the sport after this.

Great to know, especially if there's no need to brag about it on social media. ;) Have fun!
Last edited by: Mark Lemmon: Jul 17, 20 9:16
Quote Reply
Re: why are unsanctioned races not sprouting up everywhere right now? [jflan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jflan wrote:
With almost everything being cancelled this year (in the US at least,) why are clubs, friends, FB groups not popping out unsanctioned, free "races?" My friend organized one a few years ago, see here https://kancman.wordpress.com/
no permits, no fees, on your own support, and totally back to the roots of Tri vibe. social distancing wouldn't be a problem, and its not really a mass start when its just 10-20 of your friends.... Why is this not happening all over the place right now? (besides the obvious global pandemic thing)

That's a lot of friends.
Quote Reply
Re: why are unsanctioned races not sprouting up everywhere right now? [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
softrun wrote:
What happens if somebody gets injured? Who will sue whom?

Well, if it's an informal "let's meet up and race" type of situation, I can't see why anyone would sue anyone. How would it be any different than any group swim, ride, run?
You guys are obsessed with suing each other!

We (U.S. folks) are obsessed. I know a guy that puts together a Saturday group ride that is a mellower alternative to another long-standing fast Saturday group ride. The mindset of the riders that show up for this ride is a mellower one...mostly. It meets at a local coffee shop and is titled so. A woman wrecked one day and tried to sue the guy that organizes it. When that didn't work she went after the coffee shop where riders meet (their name is on the ride...) and then even looked to sue the bike shop that he races for (who's name is not associated with the ride at all-but he's got his kit on). It's sad. While I can't understand WHY someone would sue, I do see that it is a possibility.

But yeah, Fight Club. Keep it off Strava, follow distancing and group guidelines. Bragging rights are all that matter.
Quote Reply
Re: why are unsanctioned races not sprouting up everywhere right now? [AKCrafty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Crazy, what a cow. This mentality just doesn't seem normal, not in my country anyway
Quote Reply
Re: why are unsanctioned races not sprouting up everywhere right now? [chrisb12] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chrisb12 wrote:
Crazy, what a cow. This mentality just doesn't seem normal, not in my country anyway

I think the new term for this type of person is a “Karen”. Makes me feel sorry for decent people named Karen.
Quote Reply
Re: why are unsanctioned races not sprouting up everywhere right now? [jflan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just organize one and have fun.

Today I did a small SwimRun with a friend of mine at a 1 hour open water swim that happens once a month. We started running at 7:30am and managed 3.6 miles before we jumped in the water a bit after 8am when the swim officially opened, then swam an 800 yard loop there, got back out of the water and ran 2.3 miles, the jumped in the water one more time for another 800 yard loop and then closed it out with a 2.5 mile run. No timing, no awards, just a fun morning of exercising.
Last edited by: Herbert: Jul 18, 20 9:39
Quote Reply
Re: why are unsanctioned races not sprouting up everywhere right now? [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We have had many softly organized TT's in Tennessee from 2 mile runs to half distance tris. I think the benefit of having a sanctioned race is the insurance. Either way, putting on an actual race without the benefits of being sanctioned, thats something anyone can do on their own.

USAT Level II- Ironman U Certified Coach
Quote Reply
Re: why are unsanctioned races not sprouting up everywhere right now? [mattsurf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mattsurf wrote:
softrun wrote:
What happens if somebody gets injured? Who will sue whom?

That is one of the reasons I am glad not to live in the US.... the whole littigation culture is totally out of control

Here is Switzerland I organized an informal sprint and OD triathlon, around 30 people took part. Everyone had a brilliant time, and many experienced triathletes suggested that it was one the best events that they had taken part in. I also took part in another sprint triathlon, which was organised by a local running club. Our cycling club just did an Ultra Fondo bike event, 100 miles with over 20,000ft climbing (160km, 6075m). No one is worried about being sued. Riders and triathletes all take part at their own risk, which is the culture here

There was a massive discussion about 2 years ago here in Germany on the site triathlonszene.de about unsanctioned races: in fact if you are a triathlon club member having an official startpass of the DTU (German Triathlon Union) and you take part in an unsanctioned (unsanctioned by the DTU) triathlon you are disqualified (I thought for a year or so) to take part in any sanctioned triathlon in Germany.
Last edited by: longtrousers: Jul 18, 20 11:22
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They are. Through word of mouth, there’s been some OWS races near me. Fun times!

"The person on top of the mountain didn't fall there." - unkown

also rule 5
Quote Reply

Prev Next