Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: what was your most "undertrained" race [uw234] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you're talking about an athlete in good shape, but without a proper training cycle, then my experience was bittersweet.

I didn't have time for a proper mileage ramp-up for NYC marathon. Mostly I found peace with it: 'You don't need to PR, just have fun, it's NYC!'. But there is a part that hoped that even with inadequate training I can still crush it.
I didn't crush it, but overall I'm still happy I've done it. Decent time, half-decent pacing, great race experience.

If you're talking about beginners that haven't opened their potential yet, it was my first race, a half-marathon. It was interesting. For almost 2 hours everybody was passing me: old people, young people, fat people, thin people, short people, tall people. But I was still super happy.
Because I was just upgraded to a new class of beings. Before that my whole life the understanding of a long run was a 3K cross-country race and it was too long, painful and boring. Now I was one of those people who can run 13 miles, no matter how slow!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I find that because I have raced for so many years I can pull a decent duration effort out of my ass with no appropriate training. I think you will be OK as long as you watch your effort early on and really pay attention to fuel and hydration. Don’t get sucked into racing the well prepared crowd early on. You won’t have the reserves to come back from a thermo-nuclear bonk
Quote Reply
Re: what was your most "undertrained" race [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
grumpier.mike wrote:
thermo-nuclear bonk

haha - I like that expression - hopefully I won't experience it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For me, my most undertrained for race was my first IM,
My training for that race consisted in the last four months of riding to and from work, and swimming maybe 3 sessions a fortnight. (And working 65-70 weeks)
Please note - it wasn't until a month later that I ran my first 5k without stopping.
OTOH - I finished, and still had nearly an hour before cutoff.

After a few years of better but inconsistent training, I lined up for my 7th IM.
As I stepped into the water on race morning, I realised I had not been swimming in... approx FOUR MONTHS.
(Cue 1h22m swim time) - I should know better by now.
Last edited by: Cape_Horn: Jul 16, 20 21:27
Quote Reply
Re: what was your most "undertrained" race [GoJohnnyGo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GoJohnnyGo wrote:
JackStraw13 wrote:
GoJohnnyGo wrote:
1st marathon... 3 weeks training about 15 miles per week long run of 10 miles..

Did you lose a bet??

Not sure what I was thinking... Actually felt great until about mile 17 then suffered through the rest... Was at end of tri season so I was in shape from that but very low running miles...

As Greg Bennett likes to say, you had the engine but not the chassis

Let food be thy medicine...
Quote Reply

Prev Next