Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Saris Freedom Questions
Quote | Reply
If anyone has a Saris Freedom and wouldn't mind taking some measurements and testing out some configurations for me it would be much appreciated!

I'm trying to determine:
  • Extact dimensions of the horizontal metal cross bar. It should be 2"x3", hoping to verify that and determine the wall thickness of the beam.
  • If you can achieve a slightly longer wheelbase by placing the wheel cups in the incorrect order (so the inside bike has wheel holders on the outside on both ends, and the outside bike has the wheel holders on the inside on both ends.) If so, can you estimate how much longer it can go? (manufacturer claimed max is 48")

If you have questions feel free to reach out! Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Saris Freedom Questions [rlh212] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had a freedom ,but then bought a truck, so cant help with the first question, but on the second, yes you can. I did this when putting my wifes size small bike on, and my size large 29er.
Overall, I did not love the rack, which hurts because I am a big Saris fan. I got it because in the winter both our bikes had fenders and thus it would not work with the thelma. I felt like I was always fighting to get bikes in the right place. We had 7 bikes between the 2 of us, so if you are always putting the same bikes on this would not be an issue. But I always was adjusting the wheel holders based on what bikes we were using.
Quote Reply
Re: Saris Freedom Questions [rlh212] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have an older Saris Freedom. It’s the one made for mounting on a spare tire. My horizontal crossbar is about 3’ 10”. Yes, you can move the cups around as you need. As the other poster said, that is good and bad. It’s adjustable, but you have to consistently find the sweet spot that allows the specific two bikes that you are carrying that day to play nice. If you always carry the same bikes, its not an issue. If you are getting one that mounts to the spare tire, I used an additional strap to secure the carrier to the bumper to stop the swaying that can occur. Not sure if this helps or not. I can take pictures of the setup if needed.

56-11...the only way to fly
Quote Reply