Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Maple Valley 70.3 Officially Moved to 2021
Quote | Reply
Let the game of jumping races begin, especially if you defer to a 2020 race...because we all know those will not be happening!

Due to the current COVID-19 Recovery Phase that Washington State is currently in and the City of Maple Valley’s continuing efforts to maintain a safe and healthy environment for its residents and visitors, the inaugural IRONMAN 70.3 Washington triathlon, originally scheduled for September 20 cannot take place in 2020 and will now debut on September 19, 2021.

In what has been a continually evolving and challenging time globally, we recognize that this may come as a disappointment.

All registered athletes of the 2020 IRONMAN 70.3 Washington triathlon will have their race registration automatically deferred to the 2021 race date, but we have also provided additional race options if you prefer to race in 2020. All options are listed below.

1. Free deferral to 2021 IRONMAN 70.3 Washington: Sept. 19, 2021

2. Free transfer to 2020 IRONMAN 70.3 Coeur d’Alene: Sept. 6, 2020

3. Free transfer to 2020 IRONMAN 70.3 Augusta: Sept. 27, 2020

4. Free transfer to 2020 Certified Piedmontese IRONMAN 70.3 Des Moines: Oct. 4, 2020

5. Free transfer to 2020 Bicycle World Texas IRONMAN 70.3 Waco: Oct. 18, 2020

6. Free transfer to 2020 IRONMAN 70.3 Texas: Nov. 22, 2020

7. Free transfer to 2020 IRONMAN 70.3 Indian Wells-La Quinta: Dec. 6, 2020
Quote Reply
Re: Maple Valley 70.3 Officially Moved to 2021 [SwizBeats] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why is WTC still playing this "transfer to another race in 2020" game? They are going to defer every race entry to 2021 anyway so what's the point?

It just creates more work for them because instead of just making one change for an athlete (deferral to 2021), they will be making a change to another race, and then again doing a deferral to 2021, with the possibility of being inundated with requests to be deferred to the original race the athlete was registered.

Just silly.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Maple Valley 70.3 Officially Moved to 2021 [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
Why is WTC still playing this "transfer to another race in 2020" game? They are going to defer every race entry to 2021 anyway so what's the point?

It just creates more work for them because instead of just making one change for an athlete (deferral to 2021), they will be making a change to another race, and then again doing a deferral to 2021, with the possibility of being inundated with requests to be deferred to the original race the athlete was registered.

Just silly.

Seriously!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The interesting thing is some of these races are independent licensees of WTC such as CDA 70.3.

I tried to be proactive with them as I deferred into CDA 70.3 from Calgary which is another licensee. After some back and forth here is the final response I received from the RD.

"""As an independently licensed Ironman we do not have the transfer options past those offered in the earlier correspondence. Our team have chosen not to offer deferrals or refunds due to financial challenges facing the event in 2019/2020. Doing so would simply be the end of the race this year and next"""""

This leads me to believe if you've deferred into CDA 70.3 2020 you may be at a loss for your entry fee with no more deferral options.

Registering for Calgary 2021 was not one of the options I received although registering for the changed date 2020 was an option. I did not choose that bc Not sure I could get into Canada given how the US was trending.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Last edited by: desert dude: Jul 14, 20 8:49
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I laughed when I got this email and saw all the deferrals were to 2020 races, some taking place before Maple Valley was scheduled. IM just needs to call off the 2020 season, at least for age groupers, and see how things pan out over the winter. I, for one, am not wanting to use a port-a-potty at a race anytime soon...those things were bad enough in pre-COVID days....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The worst part is, at least in the case of Ironman Canada, Ironman is going to enforce the deferral athlete rules too. Meaning if you defer to the 2021 race you are no longer able to transfer out to another race or defer to the 2022 race since you already used that "deferral". Mildly infuriating given the fact that IM cancelled the race and I didn't have an option but to defer. I've had a few bath and forth emails with IM Canada...they always take like 2 weeks to respond(which wtf are you actually doing that it takes that long to email back). My last email calling BS on the deferral rules has gone unanswered...unsurprisingly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I live in Coeur d’Alene and I can’t see this race happening in 8 weeks.

I think it’s a fools errand to transfer into another 2020 race. Pick one of the 2021 races and just hope that things look brighter next year.

Matt
Quote Reply
Re: Maple Valley 70.3 Officially Moved to 2021 [Chemist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Matt,
What is current 'Phases/openings' situation in CDA? Looks like Kootenai County is a hotspot?
Quote Reply
Re: Maple Valley 70.3 Officially Moved to 2021 [SusanH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We are technically in stage 4, fully reopened. But a week of moving to stage 4 (at the end of June) we’ve seen a pretty big surge, averaging 30-40 new cases a day. Prior to that it was always 0-10. Numbers wise not huge, but the county’s population is only ~165k.

A large number of people here don’t wear masks in public places, don’t social distance, etc, etc on their own accord so it will likely get worse before it gets better.

Matt
Last edited by: Chemist: Jul 14, 20 9:43
Quote Reply
Re: Maple Valley 70.3 Officially Moved to 2021 [Chemist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If it's anything like St George, Utah, then most hospital beds are already full of COVID patients. The hospital that serves during IMSG has only 24 beds, so even a small surge means the 5-6 beds left over (they are at almost 80% capacity now) have to be split. The car crash, the broken arm from falling out of a tree, the pre-term birth and ALL of IMSG participants who might need hospital care will vie for those 5-6 beds unless COVID cases start to go down. As of now, they are increasing.

I don't think that is likely to happen at this point.

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Re: Maple Valley 70.3 Officially Moved to 2021 [SallyShortyPnts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So I actually work at the hospital and cover the floor where we house our non-ICU COVID patients. We have a much larger hospital than St George. Licensed for 330 beds - though certain units are dedicated towards other patient populations (OB, NICU, behavioral health) so not all of those beds could be used to cover a surge or traumas or injuries from an IM race.

Matt
Quote Reply
Re: Maple Valley 70.3 Officially Moved to 2021 [spectrum5825] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spectrum5825 wrote:
The worst part is, at least in the case of Ironman Canada, Ironman is going to enforce the deferral athlete rules too. Meaning if you defer to the 2021 race you are no longer able to transfer out to another race or defer to the 2022 race since you already used that "deferral". Mildly infuriating given the fact that IM cancelled the race and I didn't have an option but to defer. I've had a few bath and forth emails with IM Canada...they always take like 2 weeks to respond(which wtf are you actually doing that it takes that long to email back). My last email calling BS on the deferral rules has gone unanswered...unsurprisingly.

I mean, I kind of agree with you (in the same boat are IM Mont Tremblant, I was deferred to 2021 but for personal reasons relating to family expansion planning 2021 probably isn’t going to be a “full Ironman year” for me and I’d rather do 2022.

But at the same time, I think the fact that they’re even allowing deferrals so liberally for races where they have no obligation to quite generous. I mean, the could just say “piss off, don’t die, we’re keeping the money, see you in 2021” and probably be better off financially.
Quote Reply
Re: Maple Valley 70.3 Officially Moved to 2021 [wintershade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don’t believe I have actually read this in writing from IronMan, but for some reason I was under the impression (for the 70.3’s, anyway) that the transfer/deferral option was a one time deal. I deferred Des Moines to next summer for that reason. I thought I heard if you transferred to a summer 2020 event which subsequently cancelled, or was postponed, that was it. All done. No choosing another race for that entry fee. Which, of course, is going to bring out the torches and pitchforks!
Does anyone have any better intel? So many races have been cancelled and postponed I’m not sure if we’ve actually reached the point of a rescheduled event being canned. I gues Honu moved to August, then it was further shuffled to November?
Quote Reply
Re: Maple Valley 70.3 Officially Moved to 2021 [SkyFly Gal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was originally signed up for 2019's IM Chattanooga and deferred to 2020. Today the email came through letting me know I'll be moved to the 2021 edition or could select from the other options they were making available. I had the same worry as you, but looks like you'll be okay as well for next year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:

Just silly.

This

-------------------------------------------------------------
Tough Times Don't Last, Tough People Do.
Quote Reply
Re: Maple Valley 70.3 Officially Moved to 2021 [wintershade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They certainly could....but to use the language of "deferral" when the race organizers cancelled is totally misleading and disingenuous. There is always such a show put on to honor the athletes and show what a great accomplishment people are completing. If you actually mean any of that crap and care about your athletes...don't hide behind technicalities like that and as a RD do the right thing for you athletes.
Quote Reply