Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Offseason training incorporating Stronglifts 5x5. Question from a newbie about squats
Quote | Reply
My goals this offseason are to (i) maintain my bike fitness and very slightly increase my FTP; and (ii) use a simple weight training program to just get stronger overall.

Question - is it a bad idea to squat 3 times per week in addition to riding 3-4 times per week? In other words, it seems like I'm working my quads 6 days a week, so is this plan too squat heavy?

I've been doing this for the past 3 weeks, and I've loved it. Stronglifts is super simple for a newbie, has a free app that guides you along, and I'm just now getting into a bit heavier weights.

Here's how it looks right now

Monday - Stronglift 5x5 workout A. Run 45 min zone 1-2
Tuesday - Bike
Wednesday - Stronglift 5x5 workout B. Run 45 min zone 1-2
Thursday - Bike
Friday - Stronglift 5x5 workout A. Run 60-70 min zone 1-2
Saturday - Bike 1.5 hours
Sunday - rest or very easy Bike

Stronglift 5x5 Workout A - squat, bench, bent over barbell row (each 5 sets of 5 reps)
Stronglift 5x5 Workout B - squat, overhead press, deadlift (each 5 sets of 5 reps, except deadlift is 1 set)
Note - the Stronglift workouts just alternate each week, so one week to you A,B,A and the next you do B,A,B

Cheers everyone.
Quote Reply
Re: Offseason training incorporating Stronglifts 5x5. Question from a newbie about squats [RangersBouncy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Isn't all of 2020 an offseason?
Quote Reply
Re: Offseason training incorporating Stronglifts 5x5. Question from a newbie about squats [SwizBeats] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, I've given up on all racing in 2020. Thought it would be a good time to try out a bit more involved strength training.
Quote Reply
Re: Offseason training incorporating Stronglifts 5x5. Question from a newbie about squats [RangersBouncy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
At first, no. Eventually there will need to be compromise. If you’re new to a movement you’ll have so little ability to actually lift for the first 2-4 weeks that you can basically do whatever you want in addition to lifting. Eventually the stress from lifting will get to the point where you will need to prioritize lifting vs bikes. So maybe day 1 lift, day 2 bike, day 3 recovery or something. And beyond that you’ll have to periodize the volume/intensity of the lifting days, but that’s outside the scope of stronglifts.

TLDR; plenty of power lifters squat 5-7 days a week, they just do some hard and some easy.
Quote Reply