Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Internal Di2 install on a semi-budget, aero-optimized, classic Cervelo P2C
Quote | Reply
It's been a long time coming, but I finally pieced together a tri/tt bike after a 6 year hiatus from the sport (turns out grad school and raising 3 kids under 5yo takes up a lot of time).

I recently found a deal on a 2012 Cervelo P2C on FB marketplace and thought it would be a good opportunity to take on a project I've always wanted to do -- turn a classic Cervelo P2C/P3C into as close to a superbike as I could reasonably get it. I decided to opt for an Ultegra Di2 build with mostly secondhand parts sourced from ebay and the classifieds.

Di2 internal installation -- I thought some others here might like to see how I was able to get the Di2 about as close to internal/clean as possible on a frame like this, but it was a huge headache to deal with and I probably wouldn't want to deal with the hassle again in the future. Setting it up like I have it required that I drill the frame in two locations:

1) Top tube behind the stem -- same location/process as the well-known TriRig cable mod, although just a single hole for the lone Di2 wire to enter the frame and travel through the downtube.

2) Cable exit hole on the bottom side of the bottom bracket for the main Di2 wire traveling down the downtube, out the drain port, up through the cable exit hole and into the seat tube to connect to a SM-JC41 junction box. This one was quite a bit trickier -- I had to slightly enlarge the exit hole ~0.5-1mm to fit a Di2 wire through, however in order to then get the wire up into the seat tube, I had to insert the drill approximately 1 inch further straight up into this hole and immediately behind the aluminum bottom bracket sleeve that is permanently fixed on these frames.

Other notes about the Di2 install and connections -- I have a bar end EW-RS910 junction box installed in the left aerobar extension that connects the left 9160 TT shifter to a SM-JC41 junction box hidden in the TriRig Sigma XF stem. The right 9160 shifter routes out the back end of the right extension and down into the same SM-JC41 junction box in the stem, which is connected to a 1600mm Di2 wire that routes out the back end of the stem into the top tube drill hole, down the downtube, and then up through the drilled cable exit hole (#2 above) where it enters the seattube and is connected to another SM-JC41 junction box hidden there. That junction box connects to the FD, RD, and the internal battery (I also have a wireless EW-WU111 unit connected between the battery and this junction box). Note that the Di2 wire that connects to the RD can route through the frame just fine (there is a drain hole at the end of the chainstay that the wire can exit). All this is to say that yes, it is a HUGE pain, and yes, it can be done.

Here is the parts list with some photos below:

Di2 9160 TT shifters (I've been very pleased with Syncro Shift by the way!)
Ultegra 6850 RD/FD/chain/cassette
TriRig Omega front and rear brakes w/ Jagwire Elite Link cable housing
TriRig Sigma XF stem
Vision TriMax Carbon Aerobars + Extensions
Vision TriMax Aero Carbon crankset (54/42T)
Adamo saddle (will likely switch out soon -- not a good fit for me)
Enve 6.7 Tubulars with Veloflex Arenbergs

Hope you enjoy! Happy to answer any questions about the build. Out of curiosity, any idea how much time a bike like this gives up to a more modern superbike? I know fit is king, so assume this bike fits me great (it does).

Last edited by: jhoj: Nov 29, 20 18:59
Quote Reply
Re: My semi-budget, aero-optimized, classic Cervelo P2C build [jhoj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A couple additional pics :)

Last edited by: jhoj: Jul 12, 20 19:06
Quote Reply
Re: Internal Di2 install on a semi-budget, aero-optimized, classic Cervelo P2C [jhoj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks great jhoj! One thing to consider - your old Omega Classic brakes look like they have some deprecated levers. We have some updated ones (yes, even for that long-discontinued product) that we can send you at no charge. They will be stronger, more durable, and easy to install. Shoot an email to support@tririg.com asking about the Omega Classic Gen 4 Levers, and we will help you out. Thanks!

--
TriRig.com
Quote Reply
Re: My semi-budget, aero-optimized, classic Cervelo P2C build [jhoj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is how I imagine my P2 looking in my dreams! Might have to start buying some components for the update.
Quote Reply
Re: Internal Di2 install on a semi-budget, aero-optimized, classic Cervelo P2C [TriRig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriRig wrote:
Looks great jhoj! One thing to consider - your old Omega Classic brakes look like they have some deprecated levers. We have some updated ones (yes, even for that long-discontinued product) that we can send you at no charge. They will be stronger, more durable, and easy to install. Shoot an email to support@tririg.com asking about the Omega Classic Gen 4 Levers, and we will help you out. Thanks!

Thanks for reaching out -- top notch customer service. I just sent an email your way!
Quote Reply
Re: My semi-budget, aero-optimized, classic Cervelo P2C build [Parkland] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Parkland wrote:
That is how I imagine my P2 looking in my dreams! Might have to start buying some components for the update.

Thanks! The old classic Cervelo P2C/P3C generation of tri bikes will always be a favorite of mine so it's fun to have one in the stable again.

If you decide to move forward with a Di2 upgrade on yours, I will send all my positive thoughts/prayers your way lol... :)
Quote Reply
Re: Internal Di2 install on a semi-budget, aero-optimized, classic Cervelo P2C [jhoj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Holy shuu.. that's pretty sick! I'll take this thing over the modern day P2/P3. I doubt it's any slower than most of the modern TT/Tri bikes today. This thing looks aero like a hot knife thru butter, aero brakes, crank set, stem and it's almost cable-less.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very nice
Quick question the wire to RD went thru chain stay?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First off, awesome build. Definitely cleaner than I ever got my p3c, though the di2 definitely helps. I'm a bit confused about why that bottom bracket drilling was necessary though. Is that area different than the p3c? From my experience doing a lot of work (including the top tube mod) on my p3c, while it is a huge PIA to run a cable through the downtube without a guide, it's certainly possible. Does the extra thickness of a di2 wire actually make it impossible to just feed that through, or tape it to a brake cable that is already run and pull it through? I trust that you only did it as a last resort but just trying to visualize.

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Re: Internal Di2 install on a semi-budget, aero-optimized, classic Cervelo P2C [Clutch Cargo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Clutch Cargo wrote:
Very nice
Quick question the wire to RD went thru chain stay?

Yes, that's correct. I mistakenly put seat stay in my original post (which I have now edited). The Di2 wire going to the RD passes through the chain stay.
Quote Reply
Re: Internal Di2 install on a semi-budget, aero-optimized, classic Cervelo P2C [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
realbdeal wrote:
First off, awesome build. Definitely cleaner than I ever got my p3c, though the di2 definitely helps. I'm a bit confused about why that bottom bracket drilling was necessary though. Is that area different than the p3c? From my experience doing a lot of work (including the top tube mod) on my p3c, while it is a huge PIA to run a cable through the downtube without a guide, it's certainly possible. Does the extra thickness of a di2 wire actually make it impossible to just feed that through, or tape it to a brake cable that is already run and pull it through? I trust that you only did it as a last resort but just trying to visualize.

Thanks! I'm glad it actually turned out semi-decent.

Regarding the bottom bracket drilling, I don't know if it is specific to the P2C (maybe it's not an issue with the P3C), but the internal hole where a mechanical FD cable normally passes through to route up through the seatpost is too small for more than one Di2 wire to pass through -- I could eventually get one Di2 wire to feed through this hole, but keep in mind that since the SM-JC41 junction box is stored in the seatpost, there are two wires that have to pass through this internal hole:

1) the main 1600mm Di2 wire that runs through the downtube and up into the seat tube
2) the Di2 wire that connects the RD

I tried what felt like a dozen ways to try and get both of these Di2 wires to pass through, including taping them to a brake cable, "plugging" the Di2 wire into a bare inner cable liner and feeding that through, etc. -- I probably spent close to 2 hrs trying to get them both through without resorting to drilling before my patience ran out. I can't find the link, but I came across at least 1-2 other posts from people on other forums who have posted that they too had to resort to drilling this area out to make room for both cables.
Last edited by: jhoj: Jul 13, 20 18:15
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You are not giving up much at all to today’s super bikes. The main issue would be no integrated storage or hydration. I’ve been wanting to do this to my 2008 P3C for years but haven’t pulled the trigger. Did you take pictures of the actual process?

Let food be thy medicine...
Quote Reply
Re: Internal Di2 install on a semi-budget, aero-optimized, classic Cervelo P2C [JackStraw13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah I definitely agree that my build gives up a fair bit in the integrated storage/hydration dept. I’ll eventually get an “aero” bottle on the downtube to replace the run-of-the-mill round cage on there now and will maybe pursue a couple other projects down the road, but ultimately with my current work/family responsibilities my rides are never long enough that I need to worry about optimizing storage/hydration. ;-)

I originally intended to document the build process but honestly forgot until I was more than halfway through with everything — by then I just figured I could post pics of the finished build and explain it in words as best I could. If you have questions about doing it yourself I’d be more than happy to discuss those either here or via DM. Also happy to post more pics of certain areas if it helps.

While pretty much anyone could figure out how to wire a bike with Di2, I’ve found that it takes a lot of thought/planning to do it “right” (ie, clean and tidy), particularly when the bike is in no way meant to be fit with an internal Di2 install. Of the many builds/projects I’ve taken on over the years, this P2C was by far the most labor-intensive and there are still areas where I can improve and clean things up even more. Fortunately I get just as much enjoyment out of tuning/wrenching on bikes as I do riding them. :-)
Last edited by: jhoj: Jul 13, 20 18:08
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Beautiful work and very, very, clean install!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great build, I love it.
I just bought a classic p3c frame, hope I can build something as clean. I might get in touch with you for advice ;)
Quote Reply
Re: Internal Di2 install on a semi-budget, aero-optimized, classic Cervelo P2C [pwai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pwai wrote:
Great build, I love it.
I just bought a classic p3c frame, hope I can build something as clean. I might get in touch with you for advice ;)

Thanks! Definitely fun to have a tri bike back in the mix.

Feel free to reach out here or via DM if you decide to go the Di2 route and run into issues with your p3c.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well done...thanks for sharing your build! How did you secure the battery inside the seat tube? How hard is it to access for charging?
Quote Reply
Re: Internal Di2 install on a semi-budget, aero-optimized, classic Cervelo P2C [the chad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the chad wrote:
Well done...thanks for sharing your build! How did you secure the battery inside the seat tube? How hard is it to access for charging?

The battery sits securely inside the seatpost -- I simply wrap a ring of electrical tape around the lower part of the battery until it fits in the seatpost snug without any movement -- it simply presses in with a bit of force and it stays put pretty well, and then removing the battery is as easy as removing the seatpost. This is how I've always installed my Di2 batteries and I've never had an issue with the battery slipping out over time due to road chatter, potholes, etc.

The other key in all of this is that I wanted to make sure I had enough slack in the wires when removing the seatpost in the event that a connection came loose on the SM-JC41 junction box linking the FD, RD, downtube wires or battery together I could fix it without too much hassle, so I was very liberal with wire lengths to the FD/RD and the battery (I think I ran a 1500mm wire to the RD, for example). Since the bottom brackets on these bikes have a fixed aluminum threaded sleeve, there is no other way to access the internal SM-JC41 junction box other than through the seatpost. Having the longer wire lengths adds a negligible amount of weight and I am then able to retrieve the junction box without pulling on any of the connections, so it works out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What’s your address. I’ll just drop my bike off and you can knock it out 😜

jhoj wrote:
Yeah I definitely agree that my build gives up a fair bit in the integrated storage/hydration dept. I’ll eventually get an “aero” bottle on the downtube to replace the run-of-the-mill round cage on there now and will maybe pursue a couple other projects down the road, but ultimately with my current work/family responsibilities my rides are never long enough that I need to worry about optimizing storage/hydration. ;-)

I originally intended to document the build process but honestly forgot until I was more than halfway through with everything — by then I just figured I could post pics of the finished build and explain it in words as best I could. If you have questions about doing it yourself I’d be more than happy to discuss those either here or via DM. Also happy to post more pics of certain areas if it helps.

While pretty much anyone could figure out how to wire a bike with Di2, I’ve found that it takes a lot of thought/planning to do it “right” (ie, clean and tidy), particularly when the bike is in no way meant to be fit with an internal Di2 install. Of the many builds/projects I’ve taken on over the years, this P2C was by far the most labor-intensive and there are still areas where I can improve and clean things up even more. Fortunately I get just as much enjoyment out of tuning/wrenching on bikes as I do riding them. :-)

Let food be thy medicine...
Quote Reply
Re: Internal Di2 install on a semi-budget, aero-optimized, classic Cervelo P2C [JackStraw13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JackStraw13 wrote:
What’s your address. I’ll just drop my bike off and you can knock it out 😜

Haha. Send it my way and I'll let you know when it's ready to pick up a year from now. ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Finished my cervelo P3C.
It's 1x di2 so quite simple (though not your conventional di2 group..). The battery is in the aerobar, so I have only 1 cable in the frame, it goes from a custom hole behind the stem and gets out on the old cable stopper rivet hole. The holes are just di2 cable-sized (not di2 plug size..) so the internal routing took some effort and I needed to use my (poor) welding skills :).

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your project has inspired me to also tackle an internal Di2 installation. Has cost me some sleepless nights. But I´m very happy with the result. Thanks for sharing.

Quote Reply