Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

riding older Zipps
Quote | Reply
This year marks my 20th year in the sport, albeit with pretty slim racing over the past 10 years and no tris in the past 5. I’m signed up for a sprint in 2 weeks, pending further COVID restrictions.

Are there potential issues riding on 19 year old Zipp 404s? The rim tape, tubes, and tires have been swapped over the years. I want to make sure the carbon doesn’t degrade over time. They seem to be in good shape coming out of attic storage.

I’ll be rolling to the start line in what has become a vintage set up. The only new equipment will be an updated helmet since those seem to degrade over time - got to protect the noggin!

Thanks,
Adam
Quote Reply
Re: riding older Zipps [adampom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They're fine.
Quote Reply
Re: riding older Zipps [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
They're fine.

+1

As the saying goes. "It's not the age it's the mileage."

I have some cosmic carbones from 2002 that are still in use as training wheels.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Give them a good inspection for damage (which you should do regardless of age) but as long as nothing is busted or about to bust you’ll be fine. Carbon fibre isn’t biodegradable
Once racing begins again I’ll be racing on a pair of zipp 303 tubulars from the same vintage for crits/road races.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Last edited by: JasoninHalifax: Jul 13, 20 5:18
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
adampom wrote:
I want to make sure the carbon doesn’t degrade over time
Carbon doesn't degrade unless you expose it to UV. Actually, the resin will degrade.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Check for cracks around the spoke holes, Zipp rims of that vintage were susceptible to that problem. If still true and no visible damage anywhere should be fine to use.
Quote Reply