Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

A health question-who's actually doing better
Quote | Reply
I realized today that I have not taken an allergy pill for three months, no coughing, runny nose, honking hacking, itchy eyed, spring or summer.

Now I live in the absolute middle of a major city (in Canada it's the center of the Universe) surrounded by major arteries that until January conveyed traffic 24/7 mere yards from my yard. And while traffic is kicking in again as the City opens up again, it's still a fraction of what it was and I'm still just as likely to be hit by a bike as a car, especially where I run.

All around the industrial world from the skies have been vastly different.

Anyone experienced a change they can't explain.
For the better or worse and I'm not asking about persistence of symptoms after experiencing Covid 19.
(this is not to demean or include residual effects from Covid 19, and if you have had it or suffered because of it, my sympathies)

But yeah, my feet still hurt and my arse gets sore..
Quote Reply
Re: A health question-who's actually doing better [michael Hatch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Allergies worse for me this year (and others here (Ohio) have said similar)

But overall much more healthy, I think due to:
- not training so intensely (end of a hard block seems a susceptible time)
- not traveling (for work or racing). I will generally get sick about every third work trip
Quote Reply
Re: A health question-who's actually doing better [michael Hatch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've gotten more headaches the last couple of weeks than I ever have. Allergies still suck. Glad you are better. When things get back to full throttle it will be interesting if your allergies come back.

http://www.sfuelsgolonger.com
Quote Reply
Re: A health question-who's actually doing better [timr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The test of that will be September, this is a town with a huge downtown university population and and equally large bureaucracy (provincial capitol and city hall). Both of which are gone for the summer. I live right next door to all of that. And won't really change until biking weather ends.
Quote Reply
Re: A health question-who's actually doing better [BrianB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are you more suburban than urban. I fancy that some areas are not so well maintained this year, which might effect the pollen counts. I know lots of places have stopped cutting the verges on roads and highways.

Anyway, I was curious (and bored shitless....:0))
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For me, my persistent colds and coughs are gone since I started on work from home on March 13th. I believe several factors are at play:

1. No interaction with humans other than people I pass on the paths in the woods near my house when I run and my wife, son and elder parents.
  2. No travel, meaning zero jetlag and sleeping regular times, zero interaction with bugs from around the world in different cities and airports
  3. Cleaner air all around
  4. Zero swimming in pools. I have not been in the chlorine air environment for 4 months. I have swam outdoors in fresh water for a month now. The pool related hacking has not returned. This weeek I will go back in pools so I can report back on how bad the chlorine air impact is

I have no clue if my immune system is now stronger from being in a better environment all around and seemingly in better health now, or if it worse because of zero exposure to other humans. Let's see. I did my workout with another human today in a relatively distanced mode. It was an 80km ride. I did get inside the 2m zone of the other human, but if it was an Ironman event, I would have not been DQ'd for drafting (although I may have gotten a blocking penalty when I pulled up side by side when there were no cars around).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
for a different perspective, in NZ things rapidly returned back to normal traffic etc after lockdown ended.

it is possible that having had a longer lockdown you might actually get some more lasting change in behaviour, though i'm afraid i doubt it. for all that there was lots of talk about finding a better new normal, everyone rushed deperately to return to the old normal. in the first 2 weeks post-lockdown NZ consumed 6 weeks worth of fast food - balancing the 4 weeks of lockdown. though many people are still working from home, they are back to driving to the mall on the weekend and traffic seems to be about as bad as ever - maybe slightly better at rush hour but if anything worse other times.

i miss some aspects of lockdown!
Quote Reply
Re: A health question-who's actually doing better [pk1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wasn't actually worried about behaviour, what I was really interested in was whether during the period when cars disappeared and planes stopped flying and all kinds of polluting contributors stopped contributing, did you notice any difference in your personal health. I stopped sneezing....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
michael Hatch wrote:
Are you more suburban than urban. I fancy that some areas are not so well maintained this year, which might effect the pollen counts. I know lots of places have stopped cutting the verges on roads and highways.

Anyway, I was curious (and bored shitless....:0))

More in the suburbs. Just about every day in May-June I was getting pollen alerts on my phone. My Dr also had confirmed, it's been really bad this year.

(and yes, can relate to the boredom)
Quote Reply
Re: A health question-who's actually doing better [BrianB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Best shape of my life
Quote Reply
Re: A health question-who's actually doing better [Hollywood_USAF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
But can you attribute it to anything that results from the way the world has changed a little over the last while.

No ulterior motive and no agenda, I'm usually snivelling antihistamine up the wazzo wreck at this time of year and it goes till September, then the fungus in the furnace filter allergies kick in. Strictly over the counter level but I keep Kleenex in business.
Last edited by: michael Hatch: Jul 14, 20 10:14
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
michael Hatch wrote:
I wasn't actually worried about behaviour, what I was really interested in was whether during the period when cars disappeared and planes stopped flying and all kinds of polluting contributors stopped contributing, did you notice any difference in your personal health. I stopped sneezing....

Tennessee allergies no better. I live in urban core Nashville.

Overall fitness probably worst ever with pool closed for 4 months and dealing with tornado damage at home.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply