Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: I don’t care how much they cost...need sweatproof headphone recs [avatar78] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I went through 3 of the ipod shuffles, one which was the waterproof version, and only used for biking and running. Things were like $100 bucks and continually failed. Went with a cheapo Sandisk mp3 player for like $20 figuring replacing it often would be cheaper. Its lasted two and a half years now and has been decimated in a couple crashes and is still holding up. However, it no longer connects to my computer, so stuck with the music on it.

Also, a vote for wired buds. Haven't had luck finding wireless ones that ever lasted for any amount of time.
Quote Reply
Re: I don’t care how much they cost...need sweatproof headphone recs [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Aftershocks ship with a pair of foam earplugs that can be used for those times when you want to block outside noise.
Quote Reply
Re: I don’t care how much they cost...need sweatproof headphone recs [sathomasga] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’ve had my set of Plantronics Backbeat FIT for years. They have massively outlasted expectations. I sweat a bit, so I think they are pretty tough.
Quote Reply
Re: I don’t care how much they cost...need sweatproof headphone recs [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
Question for you aftershockz owners and users - how to they do on a treadmill? I'm afraid the extra noise will be a dealbreaker. I'm not looking for super quality sound, I'm used to cheapo earbuds (that I kill regularly) but I'd mainly be using them on a TM and a Vasa erg both of which aren't super loud but do make noise. The form factor of the Aftershockz appeals to me
i use my aftershockz on a treadmill and vasa as well. the vasa does make some noise but i can very easily hear whats going on on the aftershockz. the low end isnt there in the sound spectrum, but thats the tradeoff. the treadmill is about the same. crank the volume up and you can easily hear what youre listening to, minus the low end.

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply
Re: I don’t care how much they cost...need sweatproof headphone recs [triguy86] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jaybird Vista are amazing. Got rid of my AirPods after trying/using the Vistas.

Timothy Winslow
Quote Reply
Re: I don’t care how much they cost...need sweatproof headphone recs [triguy86] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a pair of plantronics backbeat fit. If you don't mind a single wire, they are indestructible and sound reasonably good. At least for the type of stuff I listen to (ie metal).

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Re: I don’t care how much they cost...need sweatproof headphone recs [Jtfarr03] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jtfarr03 wrote:
I've had good luck with the plantronics backbeat fit model headphones

+1

I read reviews on their newer noise cancelling version and many people say to stick with the original plantronics backbeats.

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Aftershokz are fine on a treadmill (I used mine on the treadmill at the the gym regularly....pre Covid). They are more than loud enough, and as mentioned, you can put in earplugs to block external sound and this also makes them louder.

I actually rest the pads on my ears (makes them MUCH louder) on the treadmill. That way I can turn the volume way down and reduce the sound leakage (as will most bone conduction headsets, people close to you can faintly hear the music).

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: I don’t care how much they cost...need sweatproof headphone recs [dangle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dangle wrote:
I have killed almost every Bluetooth headphone except for Jabra Elite Active in ear headphones. I have both the 65 and 75. You can shower with them.

These are the ones I was going to mention. I am likely to go & buy a pair of the 75's, apparently very good.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Powerbeats that are interconnected by a wire between the two earpieces, are shit. I killed several pairs of those and they weren’t, in my opinion, fit for purpose or their marketing bullshit of being a sports headphone. The mic unit was a weak link.

PowerBeats Pro have been rock solid for me and are a huge improvement. I used aftermarket tips on the regular PowerBeats to get a good seal, etc... but on the Pro model I just use the stock earbud tips and have been very happy with them. Most of my training is on treadmill and turbo trainer, so proper sweatfests.

I was seriously pissed with Beats after the debacle of the original PowerBeats. I accidentally left mine in an aeroplane seat pocket and at the time the Pro seemed the best replacement. All is forgiven with Beats now.
Quote Reply
Re: I don’t care how much they cost...need sweatproof headphone recs [JerseyBigfoot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Plantronics back beat fit earbuds are seat proof.

I also have a pair of Raycon earbuds that I like better because they are not inter connected. I am not ready to call them sweat proof only because I haven't had them long enough. However, I have ran in them all this summer in some serious heat and had no issues.
Quote Reply
Re: I don’t care how much they cost...need sweatproof headphone recs [Calvin386] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've got a solid track record of killing headphones, and assume not everyone's sweat is equally deadly. I've killed Jaybirds, YurBuds, Apple and PLT's in the past. It's more a question of when, not if.

I've been through a couple pairs of the older Plantronics BBFit's from the more solid behind the head connector to the more recent woven fabric one. They generally last ~4 months for me.

Recently picked up a pair of the PLT BB 3200's without the connecting wire. So far love the feel and fit (they don't budge at all when running and are very comfortable), the battery case (they can sit by the front door and charge in the case), but jury will be out on durability until this fall. Logging about 10 hours of use per week so far.

I am also cognizant of the fact that they cost slightly more than a pair of high end running shoes and I get more mileage (multisport/bike trainer/etc) out of them even with a 4 month durability. Of course, I am hoping the 3200's last longer without the mic/power unit on the wire that hangs on my neck.
Quote Reply
Re: I don’t care how much they cost...need sweatproof headphone recs [dangle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dangle wrote:
I have killed almost every Bluetooth headphone except for Jabra Elite Active in ear headphones. I have both the 65 and 75. You can shower with them.

I love the sound and fit with my Jabra (65 fit better than 75 for me).

However, something happens where I get sweat in the ear piece or the vent next to it and the sound becomes muffled.
I have to clean it out with a pick and blow it out with my compressor and the sound comes back, but it's massively inconvenient.

I talk a lot - Give it a listen: http://www.fasttalklabs.com/category/fast-talk
I also give Training Advice via http://www.ForeverEndurance.com

The above poster has eschewed traditional employment and is currently undertaking the ill-conceived task of launching his own hardgoods company. Statements are not made on behalf of nor reflective of anything in any manner... unless they're good, then they count.
http://www.AGNCYINNOVATION.com
Quote Reply
Re: I don’t care how much they cost...need sweatproof headphone recs [xtrpickels] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1 for Powerbeats Pro, I’ve had mine for over a year without issue. Sync to my Garmin Fenix6, Phone and have actually been great for video conference calls too which in my opinion helps with the $250 / $199.99 (when on sale) price point.
Quote Reply
Re: I don’t care how much they cost...need sweatproof headphone recs [xtrpickels] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
xtrpickels wrote:
dangle wrote:

I love the sound and fit with my Jabra (65 fit better than 75 for me).

However, something happens where I get sweat in the ear piece or the vent next to it and the sound becomes muffled.
I have to clean it out with a pick and blow it out with my compressor and the sound comes back, but it's massively inconvenient.

Bummer. I can't say I have experienced that. There's been a couple times I have pulled them out to wipe off since it felt like sweat was inside my ear, but I have never had to clean the headphones out. Are you talking about the elite or elite active version? Does it happen in both earbuds or just one? It could be worth reaching out to Jabra.

I can't tell if the 65 feels more secure (and possibly better at sound isolation?) because it's larger or if it's something else. Neither has ever fallen out, but I don't have nearly the same amount of use on the 75s.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've yet to kill my Jabra elites. Mind you I'm not the worlds' worst sweater, but they've survived numerous beach showers when it's hot here in San Diego.
Quote Reply
Re: I don’t care how much they cost...need sweatproof headphone recs [Triathlete1031] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am on my third pair of Powerbeats Pros. The first pair stopped charging reliably. One of the charging nubs had some pitting (from sweat, I assume). The second set started turning the volume down all on its own. And every time I turn the volume back up, it dropped back to zero. I tried them on two different devices with the same result. So, after about 3 hours on the phone with Apple support, a third set is coming my way. I have only had them for 6 months. When they work, they work great. But pairing them is a pain. Often, only one of the buds pairs and you have to put them back into the case and try again.

Aftershokz are fine for music, but if you listen to podcasts like me, you cannot hear very well over wind and traffic noise. I gave mine away because hearing every third word of a podcast gets old quickly.
Quote Reply
Re: I don’t care how much they cost...need sweatproof headphone recs [LouisQ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LouisQ wrote:
I am on my third pair of Powerbeats Pros. The first pair stopped charging reliably. One of the charging nubs had some pitting (from sweat, I assume). The second set started turning the volume down all on its own. And every time I turn the volume back up, it dropped back to zero. I tried them on two different devices with the same result. So, after about 3 hours on the phone with Apple support, a third set is coming my way. I have only had them for 6 months. When they work, they work great. But pairing them is a pain. Often, only one of the buds pairs and you have to put them back into the case and try again.

Aftershokz are fine for music, but if you listen to podcasts like me, you cannot hear very well over wind and traffic noise. I gave mine away because hearing every third word of a podcast gets old quickly.

I’m a huge podcast listener. Thanks for the info.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My two cents is get cheap-ass ones.

I had Jaybirds and they worked great for maybe two years. And then they didn't. They were expensive enough that it was disappointing. So while I was pondering what to replace them with longterm, I got some cheap ones - MPOW Flames. They were only ever supposed to last until I got something better. 18+ months later, I'm still using them - indoors, outdoors. They are evidence of the Nirvana fallacy, proving that good enough is often good enough. Even if I have to replace them every year...

Cheers!

Munq
Quote Reply
Re: I don’t care how much they cost...need sweatproof headphone recs [Munq E. Wrench] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Munq E. Wrench wrote:
My two cents is get cheap-ass ones.

I had Jaybirds and they worked great for maybe two years. And then they didn't. They were expensive enough that it was disappointing. So while I was pondering what to replace them with longterm, I got some cheap ones - MPOW Flames. They were only ever supposed to last until I got something better. 18+ months later, I'm still using them - indoors, outdoors. They are evidence of the Nirvana fallacy, proving that good enough is often good enough. Even if I have to replace them every year...

Cheers!

I used to do this, but I've learned the hard way and changed my tune.

It took me awhile to figure out specifically how I was killing my cheapos (at least 6 that were <$50, all 5-star Amazon rated, IPX7, both wired and earbuds) but I've learned through experience that it's on my hard 60+ minute indoor sweatfests on my treadmill or bikes that kill them. Pretty reliably, actually. The cheapos say they are sweatproof, but I can definitely sweat long and hard enough in a single long workout to kill them - they stop charging on the next workout.

In contrast, my airpods don't have that problem. I've used them on several long workouts and they don't die. And I'm only using the original airpods which aren't even IPX rated.

If you aren't killing your cheapos, then by all means go for them, but I've killed so many now that it's just a waste of time and money to go that route. I used to love these things, and they are amazing bang for the buck, but they are just not designed well enough for truly long sweatfest hammerfest workouts.
Quote Reply

Prev Next