Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Garmin 520 memory issue
Quote | Reply
Began training with power over the last month using Favero Assioma pedals with my Garmin 520 bike computer and have really enjoyed but have run into a recent issue where the Garmin keeps repeatedly saying memory full during the ride and then I cannot save the ride when I am done. I tried to reset whole the unit but the problem persists. Is there some feature I have on unintentionally that is using up all the memory? Id be grateful for any guidance or suggestions on how to troubleshoot this problem. Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 520 memory issue [jsmith] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TL;DR - try a soft reset that does not delete data or settings.

So, if the 520 is anything like the FR920XT in terms of file management... All of your rides will be in a subfolder 'Activities'. The device is designed to automatically manage storage by deleting the oldest activities as it gets close to full. I've seen all sorts of weirdness with my 920XT in this regard, so my experience might be relevant. Can the 820 be connected to a computer with a cable? If so, you can verify that the device is, indeed, near it's storage capacity. In this case, you can manually delete the oldest of your Activities, presuming that they are uploaded to Strava or Garmin Connect or whatever (or that you don't care to keep them). If you don't want to manually delete, or the 520 cannot be mounted by wire to the computer, then the best course of action is a soft reset. That should not delete anything, but might re-enable the automatic storage management if is was fouled in some way. Now, I have also had a case where none of this was helpful and the 920XT would store only one activity. Then, when saving the 2nd activity, it would delete the 1st, so that it would only store the last activity. Bummer if you're doing two workouts a day and don't notice. In that case, the only remedy was a hard reset (i.e. back to original factory condition and, therefore, deleting all data and settings). Sucked, but worked.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 520 memory issue [giorgitd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How do you do a soft reset? Only one I see is the one that deletes all settings. Thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jsmith wrote:
How do you do a soft reset? Only one I see is the one that deletes all settings. Thanks

https://www8.garmin.com/...10-DAD7BA6BE59E.html
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Delete all the old activities from the garmin head unit.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 520 memory issue [cdorcy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cdorcy wrote:
Delete all the old activities from the garmin head unit.

That won’t solve the issue. I had to do this recently on my 520. You have to connect your unit to a computer and delete a certain file. Apparently anytime you do a ride it creates a file. Google 520 memory full and should pull up the exact solution.

Let food be thy medicine...
Quote Reply