Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Montreal Rock & Roll Marathon - Sept 20 - Any chance this happens?
Quote | Reply
Some of the commentary on the Calgary 70.3 thread about the Montreal Esprit Triathlon happening 2 weeks before this marathon got me thinking about this.

Anyone have any intel on whether this might be a go? The website still shows everything as if the pandemic isn't a thing.

I realize that this is an order of magnitude larger than the Esprit Triathlon, but hey, you never know...

I'm not signed up or anything - but I was hoping I might get a fall race in the books, and this one is close and flat. I'm in the midst of generalized Triathlon training, and now's about the time I'd want to swap over to a dedicated running focus. I've been making gains on the bike, and pools here in Ottawa just opened up, so I'd mostly only want to focus on the run if this thing's a go.
Quote Reply
Re: Montreal Rock & Roll Marathon - Sept 20 - Any chance this happens? [timbasile] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The answer to “Is any endurance event with more than 500 people going to happen in North America in 2020?” will always be NO.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Montreal Rock & Roll Marathon - Sept 20 - Any chance this happens? [timbasile] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes the website still says it's on and it might well go, it's Quebec after all, and they have different rules.

I have been doing this race in one form or other for over twenty years (there used to be an IM) and it's fast as heck on the F1 course. I would have done it this year.

But take a few things into account, first Montreal has by far the worst record in Canada with regard to Covid infections and second, the border is currently closed and if you do get in, somehow, there will almost certainly be a quarantine period.
Last edited by: michael Hatch: Jul 10, 20 11:47
Quote Reply
Re: Montreal Rock & Roll Marathon - Sept 20 - Any chance this happens? [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
The answer to “Is any endurance event with more than 500 people going to happen in North America in 2020?” will always be NO.

Normally, I'd agree with you, but the Esprit last year had 273 in the Half, 829 in the Olympic, and 1041 in the Sprint distance, so anything close to that will be much larger than 500.

Now, the Half Marathon had ~9.5k participants and the Marathon had 3.5K, so again it's an order of magnitude larger, but I figured I'd ask.
Quote Reply
Re: Montreal Rock & Roll Marathon - Sept 20 - Any chance this happens? [michael Hatch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
michael Hatch wrote:
But take a few things into account, first Montreal has by far the worst record in Canada with regard to Covid infections and second, the boarder is currently closed and if you do get in, somehow, there will almost certainly be a quarantine period.

I'm in Ottawa, so the only border I'd need to cross is the provincial one. There used to be a checkpoint, but that's long been removed.
Quote Reply
Re: Montreal Rock & Roll Marathon - Sept 20 - Any chance this happens? [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe we should pin a thread to the top of the forum that directs all questions about potential races to GMAN.
He seems to be authority on the future of the North American race calendar.
Quote Reply
Re: Montreal Rock & Roll Marathon - Sept 20 - Any chance this happens? [spasmus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spasmus wrote:
Maybe we should pin a thread to the top of the forum that directs all questions about potential races to GMAN.

No need for a dedicated thread.

Blanket answer: No, the race won’t happen.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Montreal race always had a large US contingent with some very loyal racers.

One guy I used to bump into in the IM, had done pretty near every one of them.
My (personal) nickname for him was Buffalo Bill because of his Tri club name.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
spasmus wrote:

No need for a dedicated thread.

Blanket answer: No, the race won’t happen.

This would be my assumption as well.

The Esprit triathlon that is still a go, there is plenty of time for them to cancel.

Xterra Mont Tremblant, which was scheduled for end of August, and had considered moving the date into September, just cancelled. And they have small numbers, less than 200, at that race.
Quote Reply