Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

more rear shifting madness
Quote | Reply
I have just installed a new cassette, chain, and shift cable after the cheapo sunrace cassette that came on my bike (FS 27.5) recently snapped in half. Two sections were connected by a plastic spider so it was a design flaw not my massive quads that caused the issue. But all the same it left me with a long walk out of the woods. (photo attached)

I can't find a cable tension that will allow me to shift to BOTH the largest and smallest cog. If it's tight enough to reach the low gear it won't go to the high gear and vice versa. The hanger was bent some and I've used an alignment tool to get it back to within tolerance. I have unscrewed both limit screws to where they aren't touching so it's not that.

Anyone ever have this issue? Is the derailleur just toast? Did I miss something installing the cable? So frustrating.
Quote Reply
Re: more rear shifting madness [Justicebeaver] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If the high/low limit screws aren’t touching what is restricting movement of the derailleur?

Is there a protective cage or anything restricting the movement of the derailleur?
Quote Reply
Re: more rear shifting madness [SBRinSD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If the cable is detached I can move the derailleur into place with my hands but when the cable is on I can't make it go all the way both ways with the shifter.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Justicebeaver wrote:
If the cable is detached I can move the derailleur into place with my hands but when the cable is on I can't make it go all the way both ways with the shifter.
Two potential thoughts:
  1. Bent cage on the drailieur? Do you have another one you could try?
  2. Missing spacer on the cassette?

Quote Reply
Re: more rear shifting madness [mgreer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's an 11speed cassette on an 11 speed hub. I don't think it needs a spacer. But then again I can't make the thing work so there are probably a lot of things I don't know.

I can't see that the cage is bent but that's completely possible.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Justicebeaver wrote:
I have just installed a new cassette, chain, and shift cable after the cheapo sunrace cassette that came on my bike (FS 27.5) recently snapped in half. Two sections were connected by a plastic spider so it was a design flaw not my massive quads that caused the issue. But all the same it left me with a long walk out of the woods. (photo attached)

I can't find a cable tension that will allow me to shift to BOTH the largest and smallest cog. If it's tight enough to reach the low gear it won't go to the high gear and vice versa. The hanger was bent some and I've used an alignment tool to get it back to within tolerance. I have unscrewed both limit screws to where they aren't touching so it's not that.

Anyone ever have this issue? Is the derailleur just toast? Did I miss something installing the cable? So frustrating.

So I understand, when the cable is loose enough to allow the RD to drop to the inside cog it is too slack to pull the cable to the outside cog, and when it is tight enough to pull to the outside cog it will not go slack enough to get to the inside cog?

What are the chances you have a 9 speed (or 10 speed) shifter and a 10 speed (or 11 speed) cassette? It sounds like you are missing a click on the shifter.

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Depending on the derailleur, how you route the cable around the fixing bolt can affect it's range. One wouldn't think that going to the left or right of the bolt would make a difference, but it can. Check the manufacturer's instructions for the specific derailleur you have and make sure you have the cable routed correctly.

Other than that, I would suggest adjustments to the limit screws or straightening the derailleur hanger, but it sounds like you've already addressed both of those.
Last edited by: bm: Jul 9, 20 13:02
Quote Reply
Re: more rear shifting madness [AutomaticJack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, that's the symptoms.

No chance on the speeds. everything is 11 speed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First thing I look for when presented with a situation like yours is cable drag.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did you release all cable tension from the shifter so you have maximum cable before connecting?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's better now.

I broke down the shifter and rebuilt it. When I reinstalled the shifter it was tuned in less than 5 minutes.

I do not recommend this. It was difficult and required more hands than I have. The only guidance I could find on my exact model was a shaky video of guy speaking what I think was Arabic while his mom yelled at him. But it works a treat now baby.
Quote Reply