Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Anyone in for a class action lawsuit? [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Add Gulf Coast Triathlon, aka Gulf Coast 70.3, to your list. Back in its day, it was one of the first half ironman domestic races and had a rich history of major & minor pros coming. It was also fading dramatically.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone in for a class action lawsuit? [M~] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No, I am definitely NOT in for a class action lawsuit. Why would I want to take action that could negatively impact the sport I love for years? Race entry fees I paid are not going to make me lose my home. People don't put their mortgage payments into race fees. They can handle it. This is a global pandemic, not wrongdoing by a company. Forcing IM into bankruptcy is good for no one but the lawyers.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone in for a class action lawsuit? [vonschnapps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone in for a class action lawsuit? [Animalmom2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Calm your farm Karen!

Pretty pathetic really. You opted against race insurance, but now want the benefit of that insurance you did not pay for. Ironman have already started spending your race entry fee on the requirements of putting the race together, which probably started the day after the previous race. It's not like they take your money to the bank and sit on it until race day. All these people out for blood will be complaining when Ironman disappear and there's bugger all races, or the quality of the experience drops due to their pettiness. If I cannot afford to lose the entry fee then I should not be throwing it down as a discretionary expense on an optional hobby without insuring my purchase.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone in for a class action lawsuit? [vonschnapps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
An update just came through on taiwan. Race is happening but if you can’t travel you can defer. Cool
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone in for a class action lawsuit? [LEBoyd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I guess I am in the minority for this post. I think Ironman should give people their money back. I know of other races in multiple states who have given refunds to their athletes, and they had a waiver as well. Sure, they gave the option to roll the money to next year's race, but at least they gave the choice of a refund. Ironman has had revenues in the hundreds of millions for the last couple of years, but poor them because they operate at such thin margins... How can we feel sorrow for a company that canceled Lubbock days before the race?! Where was their compassion? For everyone who is scared that WTC will go bankrupt which will poopoo on our hobby/lifestyle, you guys must have forgotten that it is a dog eat dog world, Ironman falls, another company will take its place because there is money to be made in this sport.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone in for a class action lawsuit? [runfasterplz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
runfasterplz wrote:
I guess I am in the minority for this post. I think Ironman should give people their money back. I know of other races in multiple states who have given refunds to their athletes, and they had a waiver as well. Sure, they gave the option to roll the money to next year's race, but at least they gave the choice of a refund. Ironman has had revenues in the hundreds of millions for the last couple of years, but poor them because they operate at such thin margins... How can we feel sorrow for a company that canceled Lubbock days before the race?! Where was their compassion? For everyone who is scared that WTC will go bankrupt which will poopoo on our hobby/lifestyle, you guys must have forgotten that it is a dog eat dog world, Ironman falls, another company will take its place because there is money to be made in this sport.

How can we be sorry for people that want to obviate a contract they willingly signed who want a company to essentially self destruct so they can get back their 400-800 USD in disposable entertainment income?

When said company is saying they will provide the service as soon as they can.
Last edited by: Animalmom2: Jul 10, 20 2:26
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone in for a class action lawsuit? [runfasterplz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
runfasterplz wrote:

You sound like a jerk... If everything in life was dog eat dog it would be a pretty sad place.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone in for a class action lawsuit? [Animalmom2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Animalmom2 wrote:
M~ wrote:
LEBoyd wrote:
I'm probably in the minority here.

I had the opportunity to buy insurance - I chose not to buy it.

When I look at the cost of registration, it's hardly worth any lawsuit. I have nothing against attorneys, my brother and daughter are attorneys, but class action suits tend to benefit the attorneys much more than the clients. Once the settlement is done, I get some portion (not all and normally a small percentage) of my money, the attorneys get a large number (a portion of everyone's settlement) and (in this case) the company goes bankrupt. I personally see no long-term value in hurting the IM organization. Do I think they're perfect? Nope. I don't hold IM responsible for the shut down or for me choosing not to buy insurance.

Likewise, even though I have a small investment in gear (ten year old bike I bought for $750, good running shoes that I also use for my half marathons and cheap clothes), I still don't think it's that much money to me. I'd hate to lose a wallet with $200 in cash in it, but I'd still eat that day. For those who have +10x my investment in the sport, the money is relatively small.

If there's no IM organization, there's a lot less opportunity to participate in 140.6 and 70.3 events. These all tend to be IM events because they are great at promoting events. Without the promotions, the number of participants is probably too low to host an event. I don't want to see those opportunities go away.

(flame suit on)

No Ironman could also mean that the independent races can make their way back and we can have some old loves come back like Silverman and Beach2Battleship.

Sure but it will almost certainly mean less races overall and less well run races. Ironman does a kick ass job at races, sure they make you pay for it, but that’s what I want. My ironman experiences have all been top notch

Horse puckey. WTC/Ironman is one of the main reasons that some of the smaller events went under or sold their races to Ironman. But not because they were an inferior race or product but because Ironman had name recognition and even put some of their races in direct competition with the smaller races in order to drive down the numbers and take over. Beach2Battleship and Silverman were two races I did that I would have put up against any MDOT race out there.
Don't be blinded by the brand. WTC does a pretty good job (mostly because of their huge amount of volunteers) but there are/were a tonne of indie races out there that are just as good.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone in for a class action lawsuit? [LEBoyd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I bought the insurance “Registration Protection” when I made my reservation for IM Chattanooga. The insurance company “Booking Protect” informed me that the insurance doesn’t cover cancelled races ... I’m changing jobs and I will not be able to race any IM offered as an alternative .... BOOM gone the money for the race and the money for the insurance.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone in for a class action lawsuit? [vinvin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vinvin wrote:
I bought the insurance “Registration Protection” when I made my reservation for IM Chattanooga. The insurance company “Booking Protect” informed me that the insurance doesn’t cover cancelled races ... I’m changing jobs and I will not be able to race any IM offered as an alternative .... BOOM gone the money for the race and the money for the insurance.

Holy cow! That sucks........it would seem that the one thing that would be covered would be cancelled races. But I guess that's why you have to read the fine print.

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone in for a class action lawsuit? [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
japarker24 wrote:
vinvin wrote:

Holy cow! That sucks........it would seem that the one thing that would be covered would be cancelled races. But I guess that's why you have to read the fine print.

Just a guess, but it probably doesnt cover cancelled races caused by an occurrence such as a pandemic.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone in for a class action lawsuit? [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
japarker24 wrote:
vinvin wrote:

I haven't looked at one in awhile but these refund programs are designed to protect against circumstances directly affecting the individual (i.e. injury, illness, job loss, death, etc.). It would be far too risky for the insurer to cover event cancellations that would impact a large number of people and thus result in a large number of claims. If they were to cover such events the premiums would be higher than anyone would be willing to spend.
Quote Reply

Prev Next