Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Help me shop for a new aero-road helmet
Quote | Reply
I had a Bontrager Ballista that I really liked, sadly and luckily it did it's job during a collision with a car and it needs to be retired. I may get another because I really liked it but I'm also considering some other options. Specialized Evade II, Oakley Aro5, Abus Gamechanger, Kask Utopia are all helmets I'm looking at. I'm particularly intrigued with the Abus Gamechanger. What's everyone else like or recommend?
Quote Reply
Re: Help me shop for a new aero-road helmet [crujones#33] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Without a wind tunnel it's probably a total guess. But the Evade II seems to rate well. I'd be weighing up the other factors as well (fit, comfort, airflow, etc)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Gamechanger reminds me of an Evade but with more venting.

The Evades typically do quite well in the tunnel for an aero road helmet and once it even beat out all the TT helmets. It's still slower than a TT helmet 175 / 176 times....except for that 1 person.

If I was bike racing I'd personally just buy an aero road helmet, probably an Evade, and call it good. Going to be faster than most regular road helmets and I'd not waste the runs trying to figure out which aero road helmet was fastest. ymmv

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Help me shop for a new aero-road helmet [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not that I really care about the aero-ness of my road helmet, but I'm hoping to buy a new helmet soon and figured I might as well make it an aero one. Any chance you've tested the Smith Ignite? I could get one at a decent price and for some reason I can't quite pinpoint the look is actually appealing to me.

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Re: Help me shop for a new aero-road helmet [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't recall specifically testing one of those although I do remember testing some Smith helmets.

My other $.02 would be unless you're racing ITU or doing some bike racing and anticipating spending some time off the front and even then most likely I'd just buy the aero road helmet that looks the coolest....on me. (or you in this case)

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a Bontrager wavecell XXX that I'm quite pleased with. I don't know if the safety claims are legit but the helmet is comfortable. It looks fast. You can't stick your glasses in the top, which is a pain.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bought one off the web for $35 that looked cool and set a life time best 40K.....I'm sure it was the helmet.
Quote Reply
Re: Help me shop for a new aero-road helmet [michael Hatch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Personally I really like the look of both the Oakley AR05 and the Abus Gamechanger.
I tried on the Oakley and it was very comfortable as well.

----------------------------
http://www.instagram.com/cyclewise
Quote Reply
Re: Help me shop for a new aero-road helmet [Justicebeaver] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Justicebeaver wrote:
I have a Bontrager wavecell XXX that I'm quite pleased with. I don't know if the safety claims are legit but the helmet is comfortable. It looks fast. You can't stick your glasses in the top, which is a pain.

Yeah the XXX is great. Similar weight to an full on aero helmet also I think, which means your neck will be used to the strain come race day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have an Evade II (non mips) and Abus game changer. The abus is more for a rounder head and does not cool any better (or worse) then my evade. I can wear both on 90+ degree days. The abus will hold sunglasses a lot better then the evade if that is important too you. It was designed to cradle them in back and it works well. I like the magnetic clasp of the evade a lot so I wear that one most of the time. The abus looks like it would be a lot lighter but it is not, I think it's heavier then my evade as well in size Medium.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Giro Vanquish has served me well for Tri and RR. The face shield is nice and is removable so you dont look like a dork on the road bike.
Just picked up a Giro syntax though because these July rides in 97F in an aero helmet is not a fun time.

IG - @ryanppax
http://www.geluminati.com
Use code ST5 for $5 off your order
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have to put my vote for the Kask Utopia. On my second one (a crash at Nationals in November--it literally saved my life). It is light, fits my head great, they are on sale right now, leather chin strap, adjustable, vents very well and I can tell a huge difference in forehead sweat absorption vs my Rudy Project or Giro helmets. I can honestly say I've never had a helmet more comfortable out of any road, aero-road or pure aero helmet.

I have stuck to all Giro & Rudy helmets so I can't say about LG, Scott, Specialized, Bell, POC, Oakley, Smith, Bontrager, etc. Good luck--but I give the Utopia a double-thumbs up for comfort.
Quote Reply