Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Stem length increase on road bike
Quote | Reply
I’ve used a 90mm /10 deg stem on my road bike since I started riding it about 10 years ago. After the stem started to show some fatigue cracks, I made an emergency swap with the 100mm/10 deg I had sitting in the Garage.

I’ve rode two 100 milers On back to back days on the new stem with no drop in power, comfort, or any unusual neck pain, shoulder pain, etc.

Is my new stem length 100mm?

(On my other rig, I ride a long and low tri bike with a slammed 120mm stem).
Quote Reply
Re: Stem length increase on road bike [Newnormal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
10mm in stem length on a road bike is hardly massive unless you are an extremely short/small person. What were you expecting?
Quote Reply
Re: Stem length increase on road bike [Newnormal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From a fit perspective, there is "reach" of which stem length is but one component (ignoring the "stack" component of a non-horizontal stem for simplicity here). The frame and handlebar will also contribute to the overall reach and vary from bike to bike, so if you get a new bar your stem length might also need to change to keep the same position. You want the stem that gives you the position you want, whatever length that stem actually ends up being. I have two road bikes; one has a 110mm and one a 120mm, but they put me in the same position.

Seems like you were able to ride both the 100 and the 90 with no issues, so both work for you. Ideally, go with the one that is nominally more comfortable. If the 100 feels better, you might even want to experiment with a 110.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply