Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Can you convert older HED disc wheel to Campagnolo? (2005-2010ish era)
Quote | Reply
Sorry if this has come up before, but searching for "disc" now means a million hits discussing brakes, rather than disc wheels.

I've got a couple of the older HED disc wheels, both with Shimano hubs, but would love to use one of them on my Campy-equipped tri bikes. Any information on how to convert, what parts I'd need, or what kind of hubs they used on these?

Love the discs, they're in great shape (only used for races, never for anything else, so only a couple thousand miles on them, max), and don't want to blow thousands on a newer one when the benefit would be lost on my mediocrity.
Quote Reply
Re: Can you convert older HED disc wheel to Campagnolo? (2005-2010ish era) [dpd3672] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Perhaps Hed has the freehub bodies. However:

1. If the hubs can take Shimano 11s cassettes, then you don't need to convert anything. You can just run a Shimano 11s cassette, which is cheaper anyway. It will shift just fine. Google this if you don't believe me. I ran the reverse combo on my bike for a bit (converted the drivetrain from C to S) and it also shifted fine. In this case, you'd prefer to run a Shimano or KMC chain, I think. It should give slightly better shifting.

2a. It's more complicated if they're 10s only freehubs and you can't find an 11s Shimano freehub. You could fit an 11-34 cassette, rear derailer permitting. Those definitely fit 10s hub bodies.

2b. There are a set of tabs at the base of the 10s freehub bodies. You could file these down by 1.6mm or so. This may not work on all freehub bodies. Some of them lack enough material, like Chris King classic hubs.

2c. On 11s cassettes, I believe there are some notches at the back. I think these can also be filed down.
Quote Reply
Re: Can you convert older HED disc wheel to Campagnolo? (2005-2010ish era) [weiwentg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, that's some options to consider. Most of my bikes are 10 speed, Shimano and Campagnolo, with one 11 speed Campy and one 11 speed Shimano in the mix.

I've also heard of the option to use a Shimano cassette with a Campy drivetrain by swapping the RD for a Campy 9 speed. For a few bucks, I might give it a try to see how it shifts.
Quote Reply
Re: Can you convert older HED disc wheel to Campagnolo? (2005-2010ish era) [dpd3672] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
On our discs from that ere, there is not a way to put a campy cassette driver the hub. We used ultegra cassette bodies. A solution that involves the cogs, not the driver is the way to do this.

Andy Tetmeyer (I work at HED)

Quote Reply
Re: Can you convert older HED disc wheel to Campagnolo? (2005-2010ish era) [andy tetmeyer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
andy tetmeyer wrote:
On our discs from that ere, there is not a way to put a campy cassette driver the hub. We used ultegra cassette bodies. A solution that involves the cogs, not the driver is the way to do this.

I'm not sure I'm following you. Could you please go into a little more detail?

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got too wordy.
The short answer is that the hub does not accept a campy body. Shimano is the only thing that fits.

To run campy you have to go with the already suggested work-around, which is to put on shimano cogs (also called a cassette) and ride the wheel.

Quote Reply
Re: Can you convert older HED disc wheel to Campagnolo? (2005-2010ish era) [andy tetmeyer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
andy tetmeyer wrote:
I got too wordy.
The short answer is that the hub does not accept a campy body. Shimano is the only thing that fits.

To run campy you have to go with the already suggested work-around, which is to put on shimano cogs (also called a cassette) and ride the wheel.
A quick question, how about the new HEDs? I'm running either an 11 speed Campagnolo Super Record 11/25 or Chorus 12/27 cassette and thinking about buying new wheels.

The more people I encounter the more I love my cats.
Quote Reply
Re: Can you convert older HED disc wheel to Campagnolo? (2005-2010ish era) [Slug] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
New (current) wheels - those do convert. They have a different hub. Campy, xd, xdr are all options.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great, thank you.

The more people I encounter the more I love my cats.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dpd3672 wrote:
Sorry if this has come up before, but searching for "disc" now means a million hits discussing brakes, rather than disc wheels.

I've got a couple of the older HED disc wheels, both with Shimano hubs, but would love to use one of them on my Campy-equipped tri bikes. Any information on how to convert, what parts I'd need, or what kind of hubs they used on these?

Love the discs, they're in great shape (only used for races, never for anything else, so only a couple thousand miles on them, max), and don't want to blow thousands on a newer one when the benefit would be lost on my mediocrity.

While it's a little bit of a fashion faut pas ;) i think that today 11s you could mix and match different band of chain / cassette / derailleur without much problems. (obviously not for shiftier and derailleurs, may require some indexing)

Confirm before purchasing (not sure if that works on 10s)... but that could be a lot easier (and cheaper) to use a shimano cassette on your campy bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There have been many conversion cassettes made over the years for going back and forth between Shimano and Campy (Wheels Manufacturing, BBB,...). I would search EBay using the term conversion cassette.
Quote Reply
Re: Can you convert older HED disc wheel to Campagnolo? (2005-2010ish era) [benleg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
benleg wrote:
dpd3672 wrote:

While it's a little bit of a fashion faut pas ;) i think that today 11s you could mix and match different band of chain / cassette / derailleur without much problems. (obviously not for shiftier and derailleurs, may require some indexing)

Confirm before purchasing (not sure if that works on 10s)... but that could be a lot easier (and cheaper) to use a shimano cassette on your campy bike.

I appreciate all the insight and suggestions. I think I'll start trying to get it to work with the Campy 10s drivetrain and a Shimano cassette (which I'm told works if I swap in a Campy 9s RD), and if that fails, see if an 11s cassette will fit on the freehub.

If nothing else, I've got a few options to try, thanks everyone.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Apologies for butting in. What about the reverse? I have the option on a HED Jet C.2 disc, but it is Campy. Need it to be Shimano. Possible?
Quote Reply
Re: Can you convert older HED disc wheel to Campagnolo? (2005-2010ish era) [Pmswanepoel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If it is campy then it can go to shimano.

Quote Reply