Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Cycling body protection
Quote | Reply
I just recently had a pretty bad crash and sustained some pretty good burns on my knees and elbows. It was a silly crash..after a 1000 miles without a scare you get overconfident I suppose. I'm treating it well but it makes me wonder about how delicate skin is and if its worth it not to wear protection while training. Bikes are incredibly reliable things but for a split second over 3 hours i hesitated..Aero or not, skin is skin...ive got at least a month ahead of me to care for this and it sucks.

Anyone know of any armor gear for cycling?

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling body protection [rsjrv99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rsjrv99 wrote:

Anyone know of any armor gear for cycling?

Downhilller gear.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great for mountain biking and protection from bites in the Zombie Apocalypse..
https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/au/en/body-armour
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No a lot of options for elbows and knees that don't also retain a lot of heat.

There used to be hip pads you could put inside your cycling bibs that a few (very few) crit racers would use (you can still get MTB versions). It was also not uncommon to wear a baselayer so that your jersey had something to slide against if you fell. That's about as far as it went.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Last edited by: Titanflexr: Jul 3, 20 22:17
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Trainer wheels...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just ride some weeks and these thoughts will fade ... until your next crash ;-)
Anyway, only thing I've heard of are these special protective bibs that keirin riders sometimes use.
Imo, the rash on your hips are the worst wrt healing.
To speed up recovery, you could use these special "sticker-like" band-aids that you will put on the wound and leave it for half a week or so (these will create a sort of closed micro climate on the wound and let's it heal within a couple days!)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rsjrv99 wrote:
I just recently had a pretty bad crash and sustained some pretty good burns on my knees and elbows. It was a silly crash..after a 1000 miles without a scare you get overconfident I suppose. I'm treating it well but it makes me wonder about how delicate skin is and if its worth it not to wear protection while training. Bikes are incredibly reliable things but for a split second over 3 hours i hesitated..Aero or not, skin is skin...?

Put on knee pads and ride another 1000 miles and you probably won't have any skin in that area.

Chafing is just as bad as road rash.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No help on protection, but manuka honey works great for speeding up healing.

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling body protection [gmh39] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hip rash? Lol.

How about face planting in a sprint at 35mph. Face, shoulder, hands, wrist, knees, and elbow.
Bruised or cracked ribs. Almost couldn’t eat solid food for a day or so.

I sauntered over onto the trainer three days later. Rode the cross bike around outdoors starting a week later. It is a bit slower. Two weeks later off to stealing KOMs on my TT bike.

You can do it. The sooner the better.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Burns are minor. Luckily you didn't end up with a fractured collarbone or other common cycling wounds.
Not wanting to "turn the knife"..but:
Some things to remember when on a bike though:
Shave the legs. There's a major reason for shaving. Less rash, less time off the bike.
"Learning" how to fall reduces the risks of bad burns. Burns on knees and elbows show a bad protection reflex. Kids get their knees and elbows, and also the palms (ouch !!) burned when falling off their bikes. Look at the pros, they fall off their bikes a lot, and generally only have "soft spots" burned. Your bike offers some protection. Stay on it. You will have your hip, thigh, leg some burns, but nothing as bad as when you bring the elbow, hand or knee out to protect yourself.

Louis :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling body protection [Kempenaer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This stuff, and this link is a good price. I'm using it now.

https://www.amazon.com/...&tag=googhydr-20
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the responses guys. Luckily I did not have any damage outside of a really sore neck. Breaking bones is of course my worst fear but that is what it is. I do have some ability to fall thanks to a lifetime of skiing. I typically swear profusely directly prior, try to get into a ball and lay motionless for a few minutes afterwards in tears. I'll make sure I do a better job shaving and stock up on better medical gear to treat it faster

That keirin armor is right down my alley. I can see how some of this stuff would probably be too cumbersome and hot, but just being more conscious of it and wearing at least a little something will hopefully be of use next time. Found this Sixsixone website as well for others curious

https://sixsixone.com/...ts/recon-advance-ubp

Strava
Last edited by: rsjrv99: Jul 4, 20 8:22
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
POC makes a line of bibs and jerseys that puts more durable material on the shoulders, hips, etc. It’s the AVIP Ceramic line. I use it when I go mountain biking along with knee pads.

https://www.pocsports.com/...fv1=male&start=1
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here's a video tutorial on how to take sharp turns and remain on the bike:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CCOabYZhmdl/

Louis :-)
Last edited by: louisn: Jul 5, 20 6:34
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A friend found that good gloves give a lot of confidence... Full finger down hill mtb gloves rather than the second skin road racing ones

You can get summer weight full sleeve shirts too... They are to block sun for skin cancer but they give an extra layer of chaff

This best thing is good wound care and realising it grows back
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wear some form of extra protection for my bike and skateboarding. Either way they are hot or uncomfortable even for the ride from home to the trails near my house.
I remember wearing an extra pair of shorts over my regular shorts to prevent rash when I crashed.
I know a lady that rides in a full face helmet after a nasty crash where she broke her jaw.
I can't say not to use extra padding but expect even the best stuff to get hot or chafe.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rawlings-chin-cup-helmet-strap

There are a few websites selling chin straps, which always stuck me as a sensible safety feature (have never tried though, as I almost never fall of the spin bike)

After than, tuck and roll, practice on wet grass.
Quote Reply