Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: ā€˜Murica [Steve Hawley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am sure however that sitting up there in your desert fortress and resting upon your golden CAL public employee retirement pension that you can render some judgement? //

Don't be such an asshole, and maybe read what I thought about him being cancelled..Its almost as if you just see someones name here, and render judgement before you even read the response.
Quote Reply
Re: ā€˜Murica [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not at all my hammerhead feet nibbling friend

I often *silently* applaud your comments. You're just simply on a high sea horse (as slowguy ID'd earlier) on this thread.

take good care

Steve
Quote Reply
Re: ā€˜Murica [Yeeper] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeeper wrote:
Kay Serrar wrote:
Yeeper wrote:
zedzded wrote:
malte wrote:
zedzded wrote:

It's not really about whose at fault, it's about someone pointing a gun at someone because of a minor disagreement. Disagreements with strangers occur all the time, invariably in countries like Australia, the worst outcome is a broken nose, in the US, people get shot.. There should not be situations where people can pull out guns to settle small arguments. This should not be legal. Americans might think it's their right to defend themselves but this is just whack. You might think it's OK, but to the rest of the world it looks like the Wild West.

Stop it, you're encouraging them!

(only half pink)

lol

If I was in the US, I'd be scared shitless of getting into a confrontation with anyone!

Well thats the problem, because in America we have a good portion of the population that resorts to petty violence which makes people fear for their lives.

Exhibit A: This video. A woman felt so disrespected that someone bumped into her. Edit, a child was bumped into and the MOTHER decided this was the appropriate course of action. Race baiting, berating, threatening violence, and harassment.

Actually in America now, youre seen as the problem for trying to defend yourself, your property (store owners in upstate NY who were attacked), or your beliefs.

There is a real violence issue in America and its not just guns. Its a fragile ego issue that leads to people escalating situations in all different ways.

The problems you cite above happen in lots of countries. They are not unique to America at all. What IS unique in America are the lax gun laws that see many minor differences escalate to the point someone pulls out a gun.

Youre not wrong, Kay. At all. America has some serious issues. Gun laws being one of them. But also the people that feel they can use violence to voice their grievances. And it takes a simple cursory search to pull up enough examples where innocent peoples lives are changed dramatically in instances that most people would have considered a ā€œsimple altercationā€ right up until the moment it wasnt. This is nothing new, and noone knows when the next one will happen, or when their interacting with someone who will snap in an instant.

I dont think its easy to draw a line in the sand and say this is when its acceptable to fear or use a weapon, and this is when its not. When crazy people dont play by the rules, it gets dicey.

Someone brought up Australia As an example of people ā€œjust having disagreementsā€, so I literally found an article within seconds of two women who ended up in the hospital after their disagreement.

Tensions are running very hot right now, and its reasonable to suspect heightened actions from people who are upset. She tried to get away multiple times, she kept her cool. This womans hand was forced a bit, and Im thankful she showed some restraint. We may disagree on that.

We were in a bar in Chicago watching the McGregor fight and some guy wanted to start a fight with me because I took his barstool. He had been gone 15 min on a standing room only night. I calmly explained he had left and even after we agreed he could have it (bc it wasn't worth it) he was following us, wanting to fight me, called me a faggot and a pussy, etc etc. Only thing I could do was walk away but thankfully there was a fight to watch and he got out of my face. But these are the people out there. One punch from him and Id be on the floor, concussion, worse? Who knows. And that was with me walking away putting myself between think you and I just have to agree to disagree on this point. The him and my wife. One sucker punch and its over. There is no manual for this, and no warnings as to which idiot will make it violent and which ones are all bark and no bite.

What bar? That is atypical behavior here
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeeper wrote:

Its not like she pulled the weapon as soon as the altercation started. The woman was calm and poised the entire time, until the mother and daughter kept escalating the situation.

Finger off the trigger And backing away, at no point was she a ā€œmillisecondā€ away from anything. She seemed in control the entire time.

We must be watching different videos, she seemed hyped up and on edge. Even if she was in control, how many people, legally carrying guns, aren't. I don't have any gun experience, you need a license for a water pistol in Australia, but surely the people you want carrying guns have had substantial training, are mentally fit, have the temperament to know how to manage a potentially violent situation, are able to be calm and make rational decisions when under duress etc etc

In an ideal world, guns would be used by trained people to deescalate a situation, but the reality is guns gets pulled by people ill-equipped to know how and when to use it and the situation (generally) rapidly deteriorates. What if the black woman had approached the gun toting woman and she had fired? Perhaps you could argue she was justified and perhaps she wouldn't get charged, but she still has to live with the fact that she killed someone. Going back in time I would imagine she would have wished she'd left her gun at home. These situations don't end well for the dead person or the "perpetrator".
Quote Reply
Re: ā€˜Murica [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:

Someone brought up Australia As an example of people ā€œjust having disagreementsā€, so I literally found an article within seconds of two women who ended up in the hospital after their disagreement.

Tensions are running very hot right now, and its reasonable to suspect heightened actions from people who are upset. She tried to get away multiple times, she kept her cool. This womans hand was forced a bit, and Im thankful she showed some restraint. We may disagree on that.

We were in a bar in Chicago watching the McGregor fight and some guy wanted to start a fight with me because I took his barstool. He had been gone 15 min on a standing room only night. I calmly explained he had left and even after we agreed he could have it (bc it wasn't worth it) he was following us, wanting to fight me, called me a faggot and a pussy, etc etc. Only thing I could do was walk away but thankfully there was a fight to watch and he got out of my face. But these are the people out there. One punch from him and Id be on the floor, concussion, worse? Who knows. And that was with me walking away putting myself between think you and I just have to agree to disagree on this point. The him and my wife. One sucker punch and its over. There is no manual for this, and no warnings as to which idiot will make it violent and which ones are all bark and no bite.

There have been a few people killed in Australia in bar fights (from punches) so I was being a bit flippant when I said the worst case scenario was a broken nose. But it's much harder to kill someone with a punch than a gun. Anyone can kill someone with a gun. We also now have changed the laws so a "one punch kill" can end up with a 10 year sentence.

re your situation in a Chicago bar, it could have ended up with either of you in hospital or worse from a sucker punch, but can you see how if guns get pulled by guys that are highly adrenalised as well as having had a few beer that the situation could be much, much worse. That incident in the New York bar highlights that. A few minor disagreements over a female touching other females butts, 20mins later two people shot, one dead and 3 arrested and charged with murder. 5 people's lives changed irrevocably.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:

Oof, no clue. It was Oct 2018. It was the Khabib fight.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeeper wrote:
windywave wrote:

Touristy? Know the neighborhood at least?
Quote Reply
Re: ā€˜Murica [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
zedzded wrote:
windywave wrote:

There have been a few people killed in Australia in bar fights (from punches) so I was being a bit flippant when I said the worst case scenario was a broken nose. But it's much harder to kill someone with a punch than a gun. Anyone can kill someone with a gun. We also now have changed the laws so a "one punch kill" can end up with a 10 year sentence.

re your situation in a Chicago bar, it could have ended up with either of you in hospital or worse from a sucker punch, but can you see how if guns get pulled by guys that are highly adrenalised as well as having had a few beer that the situation could be much, much worse. That incident in the New York bar highlights that. A few minor disagreements over a female touching other females butts, 20mins later two people shot, one dead and 3 arrested and charged with murder. 5 people's lives changed irrevocably.

I understand. The problem is, a 10 year sentence doesnt help the person who's dead.

The people whose lives get changed are definitively the ones who caused the issue and the victims. If the aggressors want to cause an issue, peoples lives will still be changed, whether a gun is involved or not. The aggressors deserve to have their lives changed, theyā€™re making a choice and taking the risk, however big or small. The victims deserve a chance to prevent their lives from being changed.

The alternative is that we leave innocent people to be at risk without any chance to defend themself. That is a big issue for a lot of people. The basic right to defend yourself in a situation that you did not put yourself in.

In the NYC example, the gun was illegal, the shooting was pre-meditated, and the victims were trying to protect themselves. They still got shot. They were physically groped, and shot as they were leaving because they dared to stand up for themselves and tried to leave.

Loose cannons or people void of morals will still do evil things. The question we have to figure out a reasonable answer to is how do we allow people to defend themselves against evil people.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
Yeeper wrote:
windywave wrote:

Bar Siena?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeeper wrote:
windywave wrote:
Yeeper wrote:
windywave wrote:

Bar Siena?

Fucking poser tool bar. Deduct 3 points
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
Yeeper wrote:
windywave wrote:
Yeeper wrote:
windywave wrote:

Bar Siena?

Pretty spot on. We had no clue, our first time in the Windy City. There for some big race or whatever. We were scrambling to find any bar that would be showing it without charging an arm and a leg for cover...big fail there. Deduct 10 points.

Best part is my wife violated 3 rules, didn't eat, had a few drinks, and locked her knees out. She fainted and then when I finally got her back outside with some fresh air she mumbles "If I miss the fight I'm gonna be fucking pissed." God I was proud of her. We made it back in in time and she was fine.
Quote Reply
Re: ā€˜Murica [Steve Hawley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Steve Hawley wrote:
I make nothing of it. Not my lane

My lane is helping my guys find bad guys we want to either kill; or visit, if the juice is deemed worth the squeeze.

Enjoy your 4th of July Weekend.

/r

I think I understand you to say that you choose not to form an opinion one way or the other about Trump and the Russian bounty scandal. Are you comfortable explaining why you refrain from forming a judgment?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeeper wrote:
windywave wrote:
Yeeper wrote:
windywave wrote:
Yeeper wrote:
windywave wrote:

Bar Siena?

Pretty spot on. We had no clue, our first time in the Windy City. There for some big race or whatever. We were scrambling to find any bar that would be showing it without charging an arm and a leg for cover...big fail there. Deduct 10 points.

Best part is my wife violated 3 rules, didn't eat, had a few drinks, and locked her knees out. She fainted and then when I finally got her back outside with some fresh air she mumbles "If I miss the fight I'm gonna be fucking pissed." God I was proud of her. We made it back in in time and she was fine.

If only you knew someone from Chicago....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeeper wrote:

Loose cannons or people void of morals will still do evil things. The question we have to figure out a reasonable answer to is how do we allow people to defend themselves against evil people.

My mate got glassed in the face and almost died, the glass nicked his carotid artery, he was lucky. The guy that did it and a history of violence, numerous convictions, no jail time... he ended up doing 4 years for this, but perhaps if the legal system had come down hard on him initially, it wouldn't have happened.

I think for me, the system is too focussed on rehabilitation and not wanting to "ruin the perpetrators life", they become the victim.... and the injuries people suffer seem to play a critical part in a lot of cases, which I kind of think is irrelevant. If someone stabs you in the chest and you end up with a few stitches the perpetrator should receive the same sentence as if the victim had died. In other words, come down hard on violence, early on. Don't give them 8 or 9 chances. You run up and "coward punch" a stranger, unprovoked, you go to jail, period. Irrespective of the victim's injuries.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
Yeeper wrote:
windywave wrote:
Yeeper wrote:
windywave wrote:
Yeeper wrote:
windywave wrote:

Bar Siena?

If only you knew someone from Chicago....

I'll buy the first round next time.
Quote Reply
Re: ā€˜Murica [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
zedzded wrote:
Yeeper wrote:

My mate got glassed in the face and almost died, the glass nicked his carotid artery, he was lucky. The guy that did it and a history of violence, numerous convictions, no jail time... he ended up doing 4 years for this, but perhaps if the legal system had come down hard on him initially, it wouldn't have happened.

I think for me, the system is too focussed on rehabilitation and not wanting to "ruin the perpetrators life", they become the victim.... and the injuries people suffer seem to play a critical part in a lot of cases, which I kind of think is irrelevant. If someone stabs you in the chest and you end up with a few stitches the perpetrator should receive the same sentence as if the victim had died. In other words, come down hard on violence, early on. Don't give them 8 or 9 chances. You run up and "coward punch" a stranger, unprovoked, you go to jail, period. Irrespective of the victim's injuries.

I agree. Unfortunately logic goes out the window for a lot of people once their egos get the best of them. Have to count on the aggressor connecting all of those dots while they're busy holding their fragile ego together.

I don't think violence should ever be a goal in an argument. But I have a hard time believing victims shouldn't have a chance to defend themselves, or that they should have to bet all their chips on the attacker, verbal or physical, being all bark and no bite. The opportunity cost is too great for the person that doesn't deserve to have to be in that situation.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeeper wrote:

I don't think violence should ever be a goal in an argument. But I have a hard time believing victims shouldn't have a chance to defend themselves, or that they should have to bet all their chips on the attacker, verbal or physical, being all bark and no bite. The opportunity cost is too great for the person that doesn't deserve to have to be in that situation.

I used to get in a fair few fights when I was younger, not a trouble-maker, but I was (am) intolerant of assholes and wouldn't back down. Unfortunately there are a lot of dicks out there..... I never really liked that old phrase that walking away was the smart thing to do, you want to save face, stand up for yourself etc but fights never end well, either one of you will end up with something broken and/or police charges. My bucks night ended up on the national news and was a lot of drama for quite a few people, both parties. A complete clusterfuck. it could have easily been avoided by me walking away. I now see that as a strong thing to do, not a weak thing. The easy thing is to meet violence with violence. That said there are times when it's a necessary evil. But trivial shit, I smile and walk away from. I do avoid bars and clubs that are that way inclined though, so I just don't find myself in tricky situations any more.
Last edited by: zedzded: Jul 4, 20 0:04
Quote Reply
Re: ā€˜Murica [Calamityjane88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am retired from career in military. Now work as a contractor to USG and work for an organization that doesn't like its name bandied about publicly. To work where I work requires i maintain a TS-SCI with certain read ons. I've been to Ft Leavenworth several times for various schools and courses--I've zero desire to go back there for "the long course" haha,

If you and I were just sitting around drinking a beer I'd tell you some cool 'war stories' [without going classified]. But I'm not going to talk shit on a public forum like this

Sure, I have my own opinion. As does everyone in the unit where I provide support services. We're not automatons. There's a typical divergence of opinions just like any other group of people. Mainly tho there is a Relentless Focus on the job at hand.

Have a great Fourth of July Calamity!

Steve
Quote Reply

Prev Next