Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Any updates on non-chest strap swimming HR monitors?
Quote | Reply
Chest straps are cumbersome for swimming. A wrist-based optical probably won't stay in place, reliably. Reading through the posts, there seem to be syncing and/or uploading problems with the other alternatives from Scosche and Polar, as of about a year ago. Just curious if these issues have been resolved yet. Thanks!
Edit: please don't feel like you need to opine publically that HR is a dumb metric to track for swimming. We all know. Just say it in your head a few times and move on ;-)

---------------------------------------------------------------

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/profile/domingjm
Quote Reply
Re: Any updates on non-chest strap swimming HR monitors? [domingjm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Honestly, the wrist HR on my Garmin 945 works well in the pool. Better than it does on the bike and run.

It seems consistent with my RPE
Here's an example:
https://connect.garmin.com/.../activity/5174722223
Quote Reply
Re: Any updates on non-chest strap swimming HR monitors? [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:
Honestly, the wrist HR on my Garmin 945 works well in the pool. Better than it does on the bike and run.

Here's an example:

Yeah, I saw that they recently unlocked optical HR functionality in water on a handful of watches. That's interesting. It does seem to track surprisingly well. Do you just use the stock band? The 945 is definitely the next watch I'll be purchasing, after my 920XT dies. Hopefully not in the next couple years though.....

Quote Reply
Re: Any updates on non-chest strap swimming HR monitors? [domingjm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not going to say anything.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ditto above. 945 works great in the pool for HR. Nothing special, just wear it normally and the magic happens.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think the way to go would be a Polar OH1+ attached to the goggle strap near the temple.
Quote Reply
Re: Any updates on non-chest strap swimming HR monitors? [mike s] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mike s wrote:
I think the way to go would be a Polar OH1+ attached to the goggle strap near the temple.

Short of purchasing a 945, that looks like one of the best two options. I'm just curious if the syncing/compatibility issues with Garmin devices have been resolved.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
domingjm wrote:
I'm just curious if the syncing/compatibility issues with Garmin devices have been resolved.

Nope, only way is still to buy a HRM-Tri :/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
domingjm wrote:
Chest straps are cumbersome for swimming. A wrist-based optical probably won't stay in place, reliably. Reading through the posts, there seem to be syncing and/or uploading problems with the other alternatives from Scosche and Polar, as of about a year ago. Just curious if these issues have been resolved yet. Thanks!
Edit: please don't feel like you need to opine publically that HR is a dumb metric to track for swimming. We all know. Just say it in your head a few times and move on ;-)

Have to say, the HR monitoring on my Apple Watch in the pool is amazing. I am very very happy with it, enough to use it instead of my Garmin.

If I was going to buy a watch for swimming at the moment I would buy an Apple Watch, if you have an iPhone. Suffice to say there is some very very groundbreaking stuff on the horizon for Apple Watch users who swim......sshhhhh
Quote Reply
Re: Any updates on non-chest strap swimming HR monitors? [Amnesia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Amnesia wrote:
domingjm wrote:
Suffice to say there is some very very groundbreaking stuff on the horizon for Apple Watch users who swim......sshhhhh

quit being so cheeky.

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply
Re: Any updates on non-chest strap swimming HR monitors? [damon.lebeouf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
damon.lebeouf wrote:
Amnesia wrote:
domingjm wrote:
Suffice to say there is some very very groundbreaking stuff on the horizon for Apple Watch users who swim......sshhhhh

quit being so cheeky.

Sorry! I am fortunate enough to be a beta tester.
I can't say much, but suffice to say there is nothing on the market that comes close to being able to do what this app for the Apple Watch can do.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, the stock band.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Polar OH1 pod attached to your goggles by your temple is definitely the most accurate method I have tested (I've done a number of straps and watch-based optical sensors). This is the first I have heard about the polar pod not integrating with Garmin very well though... as a disclaimer, I work for Form Smart Goggles, but I will say that the OH1 pod pairs perfectly to my goggles. Here's some more information about pairing our goggles with heart rate: https://www.formswim.com/pages/polar

Let me know if you have any questions about them!
Keith
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a wahoo Ticker Fit arm-band that works well in the water. I got it so I could track HR swimming (I've used it both in the pool and under a wetsuit in the open water), and I use it on Zwift, since I hate chest straps and it's more accurate than my 935 on the bike (I get decent run HR from the 935, but on the bike, it's all over the map) and less of a pain in the ass than putting the watch into broadcast HR mode.
Quote Reply
Re: Any updates on non-chest strap swimming HR monitors? [kerikstri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use the OH1. If it is attached to your goggle strap, it's usually pretty easy to get a reading at the wall between intervals. For recording the whole workout directly to the Garmin, having it close (within 2") of the Garmin will allow it to work underwater. I used to have a MIO Link that I placed under the watch strap and had no problems getting continuous readings.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Any updates on non-chest strap swimming HR monitors? [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:
I use the OH1. If it is attached to your goggle strap, it's usually pretty easy to get a reading at the wall between intervals. For recording the whole workout directly to the Garmin, having it close (within 2") of the Garmin will allow it to work underwater. I used to have a MIO Link that I placed under the watch strap and had no problems getting continuous readings.

Question for everyone. Does anyone use Garmin connect for their swim data? And is it prohibitively cumbersome to get the stored heart rate data to line up temporally with your swim? Thanks!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why do you need to look at heart rate data while you swim, or after? What is it going to tell you that will make some difference?
Quote Reply
Re: Any updates on non-chest strap swimming HR monitors? [NealH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NealH wrote:
Why do you need to look at heart rate data while you swim, or after? What is it going to tell you that will make some difference?

Heart rate? I just want it to count my steps.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
domingjm wrote:
Does anyone use Garmin connect for their swim data? And is it prohibitively cumbersome to get the stored heart rate data to line up temporally with your swim?
Yes, I love analyzing my swim and HR data in Garmin Connect and Strava. Yes, it is prohibitively cumbersome to try to align swim HR data from an external non-Garmin HRM with activity data from a Garmin.
Quote Reply
Re: Any updates on non-chest strap swimming HR monitors? [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:

Here's an example:

Works fine, I’ve stopped wearing a HR strap
Quote Reply