Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Michelin Power Competition Race Line (Tubular)
Quote | Reply
Does anyone has some experience with that tyre compared to conti competition or vittoria corsa speed?
Quote Reply
Re: Michelin Power Competition Race Line (Tubular) [marcrie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have used conti comps, Corsa speed (clincher) and michelin power competition (clinchers). depends on what you want to use them for. TT? road race? training?

Comps are all round reliable. not the fastest, but also not the slowest. reasonably hardy and long lasting. would not be the first choice for a TT , but would have no real problems road racing on them. All in all- not the fastest tyre, but not a horrible choice if I have to race on them. also make for a nice, if expensive training tyre. Less and less shops stock tubulars nowadays, but these are reasonably easy to find so that's a plus. as tubulars go, reasonably ok pricing. wet weather performance is good.

Corsa speed- extremely fast, extremely supple and nice ride. But extremely fragile. will puncture if you look at them wrong or if there is any significant amount of debris/thorns on the road- doesnt even need glass or metal- mine was punctured on a thorny twig while I was #2 on the bike leg in a race. using them is abit of a gamble- if you're going for the world record or seconds count - and if you flat your day is done- then yes, maybe this is the choice. but if you want to finish even with the chance of pucnturing this is not the tyre for you. This makes it the choice for Time trials and such, less for an ironman you've spent 1k to sign up for. definitely a race only, nice weather and nice road tyre. abit pricey, too.

Michelins- abit of a middle ground- faster than the comps (on the clincher at least) but wear our abit faster, slightly less puncture protection and abit less wet weather performance. personally wouldn't ttrain on these, these are more 'race tyre' than all rounder like the conti comp. pricing of the tub is about the same as the comp so the choice of which one I would would really depend on tyre width and availability.
Quote Reply
Re: Michelin Power Competition Race Line (Tubular) [davidalone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry for the late response. I know tubs are oldschool, but the Budget don‘t allow to buy new wheels. I want the tires for full distance and/or half distance. The Michelin use latex tubes, the conti competition not, so I thought the michelin is faster. So nobody ride these tires?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No not Michelin, but have used Conti Comp & Vittoria CX, CS, and variations of upgrades since those. I am currently (when racing existed that is) using the Specialized Turbo Cotton Mountain as a TT. Tom Anderson here on the forum suggested it & yes, latex tubes are in it. Super good feel and about $100/tire, but you can get them for less on their sales they have once in a while at Specialized.com ---that said, I don't like the Conti Comp tires as the two I had flatted within the first half dozen times of riding them.

I have never flatted on a Vittoria, and like the feel of the Turbo Cotton Mtn. Tubulars (yes it is more/less a climbing tubular) but has the same tread as their regular Turbo Cotton. Check those out....they may go by a different model name now. I do know one time their on-the-phone person told me they still had them but were NOT on their website. So he ordered them from the stock they have in the warehouse.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
marcrie wrote:
Sorry for the late response. I know tubs are oldschool, but the Budget don‘t allow to buy new wheels. I want the tires for full distance and/or half distance. The Michelin use latex tubes, the conti competition not, so I thought the michelin is faster. So nobody ride these tires?
Very few people here use tubulars, so you won't get much true experience on these. I've used the Corsa Speeds and the Michelins (tubular) and both are great tires. The Michelins are more puncture proof than the Corsa Speeds, and a hair slower, but still pretty fast. I frequently road race on tubular Corsa Speeds and have yet to have a puncture, but obviously there's always a risk. You really can't go wrong between those two. For what it's worth, for racing I personally would use the Corsa Speeds and then change them often (every 500 miles?), but then I've had very good luck with them and I would rather go as fast as possible and take the puncture risk. You won't give up much with the Michelins.
Quote Reply
Re: Michelin Power Competition Race Line (Tubular) [Rocky M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anderson?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Michelin Powers are my everyday tires, 25c, both clincher and tubular. Very dependable, and the tubular's make me smile every time I roll them down the driveway.
Quote Reply
Re: Michelin Power Competition Race Line (Tubular) [MrB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Michelin Power tubulars are very good all-around tubular. I live in France and have spoke with a Michelin engineer. He told me that the new compound is little bit different from the older competition clincher. What they wanted is to have the best grip in the wet and a very high puncture protection. Cofidis ride this tubulars on world tour races and have very few flats. He told me that the crr will be little bit higher than the top performers. Just few weeks ago, veloflex as launched a new range of tubulars. The pro tour and pro tour race with new compound. The veloflex pro tour race is the 2 years old "servizio corse" renamed. He is a little bit lighter and thinner than the pro tour for better performances. 350TPI casing and very fast. Puncture protection of veloflex tubulars is very very good. You have the test in french (use google translate ;-) ) of the "servicio corse", tested 1.3 watts slower than corsa speed at 43 km/h but with a very good puncture protection, and 1 watt faster than the continental comp pro ltd (pro tour edition with latex tube), so a very nice tubular. You can find them directly on their website (veloflex website) for a good price.

https://www.matosvelo.fr/...tesse-et-l-adherence
Quote Reply
Re: Michelin Power Competition Race Line (Tubular) [Veyron40] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any idea how the zipp tangente sl speed tubular performs compared these recent launches? The bikeblather crr tests had the zipp tire performing really well...

—
Quote Reply