Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tire pressure while not riding
Quote | Reply
I was just curious if you leave full tire pressure in your 700c road bike tires while bike is not being used? I was wondering if letting half the pressure out would put less stress on them and increase longevity.
Quote Reply
Re: Tire pressure while not riding [MarkH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I run latex in all my tires. They pretty much go to 0 over time. I never release air. I just pump up before rides.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MarkH wrote:
I was just curious if you leave full tire pressure in your 700c road bike tires while bike is not being used? I was wondering if letting half the pressure out would put less stress on them and increase longevity.

No.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No issue with leaving them fully inflated between rides.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nope, just leave them.
Tyres expire due to excessive tread wear or damage from riding. They don't gradually expand until they blow while sitting idle.
Quote Reply
Re: Tire pressure while not riding [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:
No issue with leaving them fully inflated between rides.

Just check them before you head out every now & then

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've never deflated my tires in between rides, even when I lived in Vegas and my bike was stored in the 100F+ garage and left in the 120F+ car occasionally.

I inflate them to the proper psi before each ride, and about 1/4 of the time when I replace my inner tubes it's because the stem breaks. I've had inner tubes last as long as my tires.

I think good rim tape and careful installation will increase longevity more than deflating after each ride.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No never in the history of cycling Don't worry about that
Quote Reply
Re: Tire pressure while not riding [jroden] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, the reason I ask is I used to ride on sew ups and remember letting pressure out. That was before clinchers were improved drastically.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jroden wrote:
No never in the history of cycling Don't worry about that
Not sure if that was part of the history of cycling? 😁
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MarkH wrote:
Thanks, the reason I ask is I used to ride on sew ups and remember letting pressure out. That was before clinchers were improved drastically.

That's funny I completely forgot about that. I have no idea why we did that it was just one of those bike racer things that everyone else did.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I never take pressure out of my tubular tires.

The latex tubes do that naturally.
Quote Reply
Re: Tire pressure while not riding [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:

It was just one of those 1980s post-race rituals where you would let all the air out of your tires and put your racing wheels in some special bag like they were a favorite pool cue or something. and you never ever just go out for a ride on your race wheels
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jroden wrote:
jimatbeyond wrote:

It was just one of those 1980s post-race rituals where you would let all the air out of your tires and put your racing wheels in some special bag like they were a favorite pool cue or something. and you never ever just go out for a ride on your race wheels

Jroden, perfect description. Brings back memories.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I started training on tubulars about 5 years ago because I had so many wheel sets kicking around the garage. I couldn't believe how pleasant they were I should have started using them as daily drivers years ago
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I started riding tubular in 1984 and don't remember any letting the air out of their tires. Maybe because I only did triathlons and biathlons.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
I started riding tubular in 1984 and don't remember any letting the air out of their tires. Maybe because I only did triathlons and biathlons.

If you were a true badass you had two sets of alfreda binda tow straps on each pedal with those little plastic buttons on the end to make it easier to pull them up tight for the sprint. I love looking back on all the nonsense we did there was no internet so you just kind of learned from this small circle of peers that you raced with.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used Aerolite pedals as soon as they became available.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Toe straps were so awful for long races when your feet just got sick of being squashed. I got the look pedals asap also
Quote Reply