Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Is 50 the new 20 now? [TomkR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TomkR wrote:
MOP_Mike wrote:
TomkR wrote:
I would seriously caution any strategy counting on herd immunity before we more fully understand the immunity conferred from infection. There is evidence that antibodies disappear quickly, particularly in asymptomatic people, and we know from SARS-COV-1 that immunity can be much shorter than other diseases (in the 1-3 year range, but can be shorter than that even). https://www.nytimes.com/...irus-antibodies.html

That's a good point. I can't read that article due to the pay wall. But, the latest info I've seen suggests that the duration of immunity is indeed still unknown.

On the bright side, there is a recent study that at least confirms (or strongly suggests) that immunity is conferred for at least some period of time:

https://science.sciencemag.org/...5/19/science.abc4776

But, if we can't develop reasonably long-lasting immunity, what is the alternative strategy? We could depend upon development of a vaccine. But, if you don't retain immunity from actual exposure to the virus, it's pretty unlikely that you'd develop/retain immunity from any vaccine either. I guess you might be able to get a Covid vax booster shot every year...

If humans can't develop immunity to Coronavirus, then our future is bleak -- indefinite shutdowns causing global upheaval with never-ending seasonal waves of infections gradually killing us off. Our only hope then would be that the virus eventually mutates enough to be less deadly and becomes just another pathogen in the ecosystem.

Sorry about the pay wall, I think the article pretty much says what I wrote but sounds like you know as much.

It’s a good question on what to do if there isn’t enough immunity to bridge to a vaccine, and then if a vaccine only works for so long. And then in our current political environment we will absolutely not have full compliance in getting the vaccine even if mandated by law.

One solution is that we go on true full lockdown for 3 weeks. The logistics behind that would be difficult and require a ton of planning and coordination. For example my mom’s memory care home - stock 4 weeks of food (in case), give people 1 week heads up, have every staff person that will be on duty during the full lockdown tested in the week prior, then have them sleep/eat at the facility for the 3 weeks. Large gov program pays them for the extra time, and this type of logistic happens wherever it needs to.

I fully acknowledge this won’t happen, and that there are a shite-ton more logistics I’m not outlining or even thinking of, but if we could gather a coherent response, as a country and world, this is a solution.

Wouldn't it be great if we could actually do that? But we can't because this country if full of self entitled fucktards (bannable word? instructions not clear) that insist on exercising their right to do harm to others. You would have to have national guard members shooting people in the streets to maintain compliance. There's also the problem of protecting corporations and allowing tens of thousands of people to fly out of and into the country per day. I'd argue that they are suffering much more right now than if we just completely shut everything down hard for 3-4 weeks.

In short, yes, we could do it. But we won't.
Quote Reply
Re: Is 50 the new 20 now? [Cavechild] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cavechild wrote:
Imagine if when we locked down, we actually locked down.

We don't even have to go that far. Imagine if we had a leader that advocated voluntary mask wearing and social distancing at the time when things were opening back up. Instead we got someone that did the opposite.
Quote Reply
Re: Is 50 the new 20 now? [MOP_Mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MOP_Mike wrote:
bradword wrote:
MOP_Mike wrote:

2) Don't hold your breath on a vaccine anytime soon. We'll likely have trials in the fall, and *if* successful, limited vaccines for first responders, med professionals, etc. by, say, Jan. But, even the most optimistic scenario won't have an approved vaccine mass-produced until at least fall, 2021. And, that's *best case*. We've yet to develop a vaccine for HIV, Herpes, or any other Coronavirus.

14 vaccines are already in human trial. Our local hospital already has given vaccines to medical professional and is looking very positive. The rest of the timeline make sense, but we are already to human trial faze.

Agreed. I realized after I made my initial post that trials were farther along than I stated. But, as you say, I stand by the rest of the timeline.

A successful vaccine for all has to be safe AND effective AND mass-producible. For targeted populations -- first responders, military, experimental trials, etc. -- you don't need to meet all of these criteria. A hypothetical vaccine that has 2% serious side effects and is 70% effective wouldn't be suitable for mass use.

Yes it would be effective. 70% effectiveness would stop the pandemic and 2% serious side effects is lower than the current 5% case fataility rate. They call drugs like remidisivir with a pathetic few % improvement in reducing fatalities "effective".

My prediction is that the Oxford vaccine (astra-zeneca) will end this. We will probably have to get it yearly, just like the infuenza vaccine to keep it under control. My n+1 story on that is since I started getting influenza vaccines every year after my son was born with a serious lung condition, has resulted in ZERO flu infections on my part in 13 years... and I work in a school. Imagine that.
Last edited by: RZ: Jul 3, 20 4:15
Quote Reply
Re: Is 50 the new 20 now? [Harbinger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Harbinger wrote:
Sounds like you advocate the hurry up and acquire herd immunity because it is inevitable. Hmmmm. I for one do not desire to find out whether it would kill me or even find out how devastating to my long term health it would be. I also have no desire for any of my family to endure it either. So we will take every precaution, and not run out and try to live through it and have it in our rear view mirror.

We have the same thinking. I haven't left the house in almost 4 months. I have a full face respirator in the case that I do have to go out. Let everyone else with their "it's not that contagious" (it is) attitudes learn the hard way. But me, and my family will tough it out until next year to ensure our survival, and not risk permanent disabling health effects (heart/lung damage, vascular scarring, kidney failure, pancreatic damage) from this ugly, ugly virus. I feel that regret from sheltering in place for a year is lesser than the regret you will have from dying or living with devastating life-long health effects.

People had to hide in their basements for YEARS in WWII hiding from the nazis. We can tough it out and wear our masks, and avoid people while binging on Netflix and eating too much food ffs.
Quote Reply

Prev Next