Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

how much mileage/week did you do for ironman, and was it successful?
Quote | Reply
Just curious what the training load on average was for most successful ironman runs.

some seem to run sub 3:30 off on 50km/30miles per week others say they need double that...
Quote Reply
Re: how much mileage/week did you do for ironman, and was it successful? [LordFarquuad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It isn't really the amount of miles you run but what you do with the miles you run and just to remind you, bike fitness is a major factor in how well you run in an Ironman.

I have run sub 3:30 Ironman on less than 50k.
Quote Reply
Re: how much mileage/week did you do for ironman, and was it successful? [LordFarquuad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am 48 and ran 3:20 off less than 50km per week. I have bigger weeks than this, up to around 75km, but whenever I start to push the mileage I get injured

Cycling fitness is really transferable to running

I typically do 1 long run per week, around 20km, 2 12km runs and a 5km interval session at the track

At least one of the 12km runs will be at IM race pace (4:30/km)
Long run will be around 4:50 - 5:15 pace, but I will occasionally do a 1h30m Half Marathon
Quote Reply
Re: how much mileage/week did you do for ironman, and was it successful? [ThailandUltras] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThailandUltras wrote:
It isn't really the amount of miles you run but what you do with the miles you run and just to remind you, bike fitness is a major factor in how well you run in an Ironman.

So true about bike fitness.

3:18 (possibly included T2), off about 80-120km/week, depending on how much cycling I was doing. Though there was also some big running weeks occasionally.

You never know when those extra running miles will come in handy. ;-)
Quote Reply
Re: how much mileage/week did you do for ironman, and was it successful? [satanellus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
satanellus wrote:
ThailandUltras wrote:

3:18 (possibly included T2), off about 80-120km/week, depending on how much cycling I was doing. Though there was also some big running weeks occasionally.

Yeah,in '94 I could have done with some extra runs in the bag at about 60k into my first Ultraman run with only Ironman training mileage in the legs..I still haven't learned any better though. :-)
Quote Reply
Re: how much mileage/week did you do for ironman, and was it successful? [ThailandUltras] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThailandUltras wrote:
satanellus wrote:
ThailandUltras wrote:

Yeah,in '94 I could have done with some extra runs in the bag at about 60k into my first Ultraman run with only Ironman training mileage in the legs..I still haven't learned any better though. :-)

What about '99? ;-)
Last edited by: satanellus: Jul 1, 20 2:05
Quote Reply
Re: how much mileage/week did you do for ironman, and was it successful? [satanellus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
satanellus wrote:
ThailandUltras wrote:
satanellus wrote:
ThailandUltras wrote:

What about '99? ;-)

Equally lame as that was a late entry as well..I was working in a pub in Penticton,got the crazy idea to do the one-off race again and raised the entry fee and all of the sponsorship from the management and punters drinking at the pub that night..I actually had to go to work and do a full shift after finishing Day One.Luckily I finished quickly and wasn't late for work. I was more sensible in '99 though and didn't get drunk the night before the Day Three run like in '94..I miss those days.. :-)

I also did the 15k/400k/100k Ultra in Canberra in '99 with not that big a run build..Lost to the legend Paul Every by 19 seconds.. Booo!
Last edited by: ThailandUltras: Jul 1, 20 2:29
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Depends on what your current running volume is. If you are new and fragile to running 30mpw may cause excessive fatigue in training and your run will be poor on race day. If you have been running 30mpw for awhile (years) and can handle the swim and bike work without adding too much fatigue, 30mpw will be effective. The volume needed is the one most sustained over a long period of time.

We are not even talking about your swim fitness, bike fitness/pacing/nutrition that all plays a bigger factor into marathon performance than just MPW

Also, what is your open marathon time? Looking for an idea of how realistic your goal pace is.

Inside The Big Ring: Podcast & Coaching

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Build last year. Jan, 30 miles per week, Feb 32 miles p/w, Mar 34 miles p/w, Apr was 32 miles p/w, May was 23 miles p/w, June 24.5, July 26 miles, Aug 29 miles, Sept 30 miles, Oct I got sick and strained my neck so reduced to 18 miles p/w. I ran a 23 mile run in Colorado on Oct. 6th while on vacation, raced IMFL Nov 2nd and ran 3:18 off the bike. I agree that it's what you do when you run in training that makes you better.

http://www.sfuelsgolonger.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Being a <36'/10k runner, I ended up with a 5:38 run split with ~20k/wk running. Low volume doesn't work for Ironman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ThailandUltras wrote:
satanellus wrote:
ThailandUltras wrote:
satanellus wrote:
ThailandUltras wrote:

What about '99? ;-)

Equally lame as that was a late entry as well..I was working in a pub in Penticton,got the crazy idea to do the one-off race again and raised the entry fee and all of the sponsorship from the management and punters drinking at the pub that night..I actually had to go to work and do a full shift after finishing Day One.Luckily I finished quickly and wasn't late for work. I was more sensible in '99 though and didn't get drunk the night before the Day Three run like in '94..I miss those days.. :-)

I also did the 15k/400k/100k Ultra in Canberra in '99 with not that big a run build..Lost to the legend Paul Every by 19 seconds.. Booo!

That must have sucked. Probably made him happy though. ;-)
Quote Reply
Re: how much mileage/week did you do for ironman, and was it successful? [vps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What kind of bike power did you put out relative to your FTP?
Quote Reply
Re: how much mileage/week did you do for ironman, and was it successful? [SnowChicken] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Having decent run durability AND great bike fitness can make up for a lot of mistakes and mishaps.

I have always over-biked and have usually messed up my nutrition. I have bad running form and limited running speed.

Yet I have always easily KQed.

Why?

I am not cutting corners.

My hard weeks are run: 40-50 mpw.
With an 18 mile + long run
Bike: 8-12 hrs. With a 5 HR ride.

Sure- I could get by with lower volume and more intensity.
But that would be harder not easier.

Or I could do just as well if I was more talented AND executed perfectly.

But why rely on talent and perfect execution?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Depends what your goal is, your experience level as a runner, how long you have been racing long distance, your age, your bike fitness level, etc. You can't plan for an ironman run based on run volume alone - you have to take into consideration the entire volume of training.

I am a low mileage runner - otherwise I get injured. For 140.6 distance, my maximum running week would likely be 25-30 miles a week, with a max long run of 12-13 miles (run 5 days a week). That's on top of 3 swimming days, and 3-4 biking days (~150 miles biking peak).

I followed this strategy while training for Ultraman as well(three day race: day 1 = 10k swim + 92 mile bike, day 2 = 171 mile bike, day 3 = double marathon). Swam 3 days, biked 4 days, run 5 days. Max run of 12-13 miles. Was able to run ~9:29 for a double marathon. That was mainly overall fitness that carried me.
Quote Reply
Re: how much mileage/week did you do for ironman, and was it successful? [Velocibuddha] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Velocibuddha wrote:
Having decent run durability AND great bike fitness can make up for a lot of mistakes and mishaps.

I have always over-biked and have usually messed up my nutrition. I have bad running form and limited running speed.

Why?

You say you always overbike. Please elaborate.
Quote Reply
Re: how much mileage/week did you do for ironman, and was it successful? [SnowChicken] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SnowChicken wrote:
What kind of bike power did you put out relative to your FTP?

Really low. I didn't test my FTP, but 2x20' @300W was a session I did a few times, so I'd guess my FTP was probably not much lower than 300 W. In the race I averaged 185 W, 202 W normalized.

The thing is, especially with low training volume, you can feel and be quite fit for shorter distances and sessions on both the bike and the run, but still be heavily undertrained for Ironman.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was interested to see, so I've just been back and checked - the three months before my only IM my average weekly run km's were 58, with a max of 78 and 5 weeks above 70. Before that it looks like I had a few months of mostly 40-50km a week.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
46 y/o. 50-55 mpw during my build up to an IM. Long run usually maxed at 18 at IM pace. Also did a mid week 10 mile tempo and a 8-10 mile brick run off my long ride at ~25 seconds per mile faster than IM pace. Ran a 3:10 at Chattanooga (not an easy run course) to qualify for Kona, ran 3:19 at Kona.

Let food be thy medicine...
Quote Reply
Re: how much mileage/week did you do for ironman, and was it successful? [Velocibuddha] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You being a first out of the water swimmer doesn’t hurt. 😜

Velocibuddha wrote:

Why?

Let food be thy medicine...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last 2 IM's 3:35 ish both in 2019. That also included training for a 100 mile segment of backpacking the John Muir Trail in between the two races, where I traded many weekly long runs and/or rides for hiking in 4-6 hour sessions. Otherwise, I did mostly 25-30 miles per week. in each 5 month training buildup I only had 3-4 that went over 30, and had one 40 mile week for the whole year. Half or more of the weekly mileage is in one run, typically the rest were quick 2-4 miles after a ride and a medium run. Can't say enough about how effective transferring cycling (or hiking) fitness to running fitness can be.

Best

Matt Leu, M.S. Kinesiology
San Pedro Fit Works, Los Angeles, CA
Endurance Athlete and Coach
Consistency/time=results
Quote Reply
Re: how much mileage/week did you do for ironman, and was it successful? [ironmatt85] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ironmatt85 wrote:
Consistency/time=results

Isn't it technically Consistency * Time = Results?

If it was consistency / time, the greater time spent training would yield a smaller result.

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply
Re: how much mileage/week did you do for ironman, and was it successful? [plant_based] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Play on symbols: consistency “over” time “equals” results!

Matt Leu, M.S. Kinesiology
San Pedro Fit Works, Los Angeles, CA
Endurance Athlete and Coach
Consistency/time=results
Quote Reply
Re: how much mileage/week did you do for ironman, and was it successful? [ironmatt85] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ironmatt85 wrote:
Play on symbols: consistency “over” time “equals” results!

haha ok fair enough - I was thinking you might say that - cheers

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply